Need Advise/Need it quick

plenzmd1

just got a phone call informing me I am now the only coach for my 7 year old daughters church basketball team. Team is 7 to 8 year olds, all new to basketball.

The league is an Upward League which I guess is a nationwide prgram in churches, with some nice rules set out. Things such as desingnating your players a-g, and making sure they are matched up with other players of that ability, structured lineup changes etc.

My question is has anybody ever started coaching kids this young who will be entirely new to the game. Any suggested resources, books, videos would be greatly appreciated. I have just purchassed and downloaded a book called" Coaching Youth Basketball" which lays out some sample practice plans etc.

Any real world advice greatly appreciated.

BTW first practice Monday evening, first game in January

I've coached kids ranging in age 5-9 (league ages 5-6, 7-8, 6-7, 8-9) in two different town leagues each of the four last years. This is boys - an all girls team is obviously a different dynamic, but here's some general advice which might apply.

The things I focus on at this age are skill development , personal responsibility, and team concepts. There will be some kids who are playing a team sport for the first time - I try to get across that it isn't just play time to screw around - being a part of a team means they have a responsibility to listen, be respectful, and try their best to do what they are told. If kids have played other 'sports' like soccer but not basketball - they need to understand that basketball may have more structure and required skills than they are used to - so it is important to pay attention and try things even if they are new or intially hard.

If there is no stealing off the dribble allowed, then more kids can be generally involved in handling the ball - otherwise certain kids will probably end up being designated as the ball handlers. Hopefully you are playing man-to-man defense (or at least have the option). Please play man-to-man defense if you have a choice - kids this age really need to learn defensive fundamentals like stance, movement, and positioning. Leagues and coaches that play 'zone' (which is not a real zone at all - it is really nothing more than telling a kid to stand in a spot with his hands up) really are doing a huge disservice to the kids. I could go on for an hour on the how wrong the stupid 'zone' is for kids this age - hopefully your league allows man-to-man.

To avoid complete chaos I beleive it is a must that every player have a position when they enter the game (1 guard to bring the ball up, two players low on each block, 2 wings). Get them to learn their positions, go there on the court - and stay there for more than two seconds. Kids on my team are absolutely not allowed to stand there (or chase after their teammate dribbling the ball) and yell "Pass it! Pass it! Pass it! Pass it!" - they need to learn that every player has a position and resposibility which is part of the larger team. I always tell kids the best way to get the ball is to get a rebound or a loose ball - and that once they get that attitude they will have a ton more fun chasing after the ball than standing there begging for it. Always make getting up the court a priority on both offense and defense - this sometimes is not intuitive at first for inexperienced kids.

For 'offense' - I always have kids initially stay in their spot - and have the guard dribble down (always designate one person to be a guard and dribble the ball up - I also always designate one position, left block, to always take the ball out in all situations). From there you can try to designate one or two simple things - like throw one pass to the wing (try to teach the wing to make a cut to get the ball) - then have the other kids cut to the middle looking for a pass - or the wing can take it to the basket. You can even try things like picking on the ball when it crosses half court. Don't underestimate what kids can do/learn - even if their dribbling/shooting skills might not overall be high.

Try to get kids out of the habit of just mindlessly dribbling around when they get the ball - and especially never dribble to the corner which is a common habit at this age. I tell my kids if they want to dribble they should be dribbling straight to the basket. I also teach that when they catch a pass they shouldn't start automatically dribbling - they should first be getting set and facing the basket and looking to see if anyone is open. I also tell kids they should be shooting from inside and around the lane - not further out.

It really helps to have a practice plan where you've outlined drills/activites with the actual time/duration which you will be doing them. When I talk to the kids I always have them sit on the floor in a semicircle (ideally not facing parents or other people) - all balls in - and I get on a knee right in front of them to try and hold their attention. I always start every practice reviewing what we learned last practice, or going over the last game, then explaining what we will be doing that day. I'll quickly get back together like that multiple other times during practice to go over what we just did or introduce the next drill etc.

There are a few skill things I really stress. If you are going to dribble - keep your head up. Dribble *to* the basket. Don't automatically start dribbling mindlessly when you get a pass. The shot you should always be trying to get is a short bank shot layup - *always* use the backboard when in position close in to the basket. Go after the ball - you will have a ton more fun if you chase after rebounds/loose balls. Always Always Always play defense with yourself positioned *between your man and the basket*. Bounce passes are almost always preferred. Get up the court on offense - always hustle back on defense.

Good Luck and have fun. My daughter has always played on my boys teams until this Fall when the league made her play on the girls team. The skill level was much less - and I think in general many of the girls were less competitive than boys the same age - but they did still learn some simple pick plays and positions to play.

I've coached kids ranging in age 5-9 (league ages 5-6, 7-8, 6-7, 8-9) in two different town leagues each of the four last years.  This is boys - an all girls team is obviously a different dynamic, but here's some general advice which might apply.

The things I focus on at this age are skill development , personal responsibility, and team concepts.  There will be some kids who are playing a team sport for the first time - I try to get across that it isn't just play time to screw around - being a part of a team means they have a responsibility to listen, be respectful, and try their best to do what they are told.  If kids have played other 'sports' like soccer but not basketball - they need to understand that basketball may have more structure and required skills than they are used to - so it is important to pay attention and try things even if they are new or intially hard.

If there is no stealing off the dribble allowed, then more kids can be generally involved in handling the ball - otherwise certain kids will probably end up being designated as the ball handlers.  Hopefully you are playing man-to-man defense (or at least have the option).  Please play man-to-man defense if you have a choice - kids this age really need to learn defensive fundamentals like stance, movement, and positioning.  Leagues and coaches that play 'zone' (which is not a real zone at all - it is really nothing more than telling a kid to stand in a spot with his hands up) really are doing a huge disservice to the kids.  I could go on for an hour on the how wrong the stupid 'zone' is for kids this age - hopefully your league allows man-to-man.

To avoid complete chaos I beleive it is a must that every player have a position when they enter the game (1 guard to bring the ball up, two players low on each block, 2 wings).  Get them to learn their positions, go there on the court - and stay there for more than two seconds.  Kids on my team are absolutely not allowed to stand there (or chase after their teammate dribbling the ball) and yell "Pass it!  Pass it!  Pass it!  Pass it!" - they need to learn that every player has a position and resposibility which is part of the larger team.  I always tell kids the best way to get the ball is to get a rebound or a loose ball - and that once they get that attitude they will have a ton more fun chasing after the ball than standing there begging for it.  Always make getting up the court a priority on both offense and defense - this sometimes is not intuitive at first for inexperienced kids.

For 'offense' - I always have kids initially stay in their spot - and have the guard dribble down (always designate one person to be a guard and dribble the ball up - I also always designate one position, left block, to always take the ball out in all situations).  From there you can try to designate one or two simple things - like throw one pass to the wing (try to teach the wing to make a cut to get the ball) - then have the other kids cut to the middle looking for a pass - or the wing can take it to the basket.  You can even try things like picking on the ball when it crosses half court.  Don't underestimate what kids can do/learn - even if their dribbling/shooting skills might not overall be high. 

Try to get kids out of the habit of just mindlessly dribbling around when they get the ball - and especially never dribble to the corner which is a common habit at this age.  I tell my kids if they want to dribble they should be dribbling straight to the basket.  I also teach that when they catch a pass they shouldn't start automatically dribbling - they should first be getting set and facing the basket and looking to see if anyone is open.  I also tell kids they should be shooting from inside and around the lane - not further out.

It really helps to have a practice plan where you've outlined drills/activites with the actual time/duration which you will be doing them.  When I talk to the kids I always have them sit on the floor in a semicircle (ideally not facing parents or other people) - all balls in - and I get on a knee right in front of them to try and hold their attention.  I always start every practice reviewing what we learned last practice, or going over the last game, then explaining what we will be doing that day.  I'll quickly get back together like that multiple other times during practice to go over what we just did or introduce the next drill etc.

There are a few skill things I really stress.  If you are going to dribble - keep your head up.  Dribble *to* the basket.  Don't automatically start dribbling mindlessly when you get a pass.  The shot you should always be trying to get is a short bank shot layup - *always* use the backboard when in position close in to the basket.   Go after the ball - you will have a ton more fun if you  chase after rebounds/loose balls.  Always Always Always play defense with yourself positioned *between your man and the basket*.   Bounce passes are almost always preferred.  Get up the court on offense - always hustle back on defense.

Good Luck and have fun.  My daughter has always played on my boys teams until this Fall when the league made her play on the girls team.  The skill level was much less - and I think in general many of the girls were less competitive than boys the same age - but they did still learn some simple pick plays and positions to play.

854493[/snapback]

Thank You for this post, it is most appreciated!!!! What i was hoping to get.In terms of D, only man to man is allowed.