Will the game plan against SD be conservative

ganesh

I think with the pressure that the chargers front 4 can generate equivalent or better than what the Colts and the Packers defense can do, I think Fairchild is going to go back to being conservative in his game plan. I hope he will run the ball 40 times (25 by McGahee and 15 by A-Train) and keep the high flying chargers Offense off the field.

I don't think our run defense can stop the chargers and LT. We have to RUN the ball and control the clock.

I think with the pressure that the chargers front 4 can generate equivalent or better than what the Colts and the Packers defense can do, I think Fairchild is going to go back to being conservative in his game plan.  I hope he will run the ball 40 times (25 by McGahee and 15 by A-Train) and keep the high flying chargers Offense off the field.

I don't think our run defense can stop the chargers and LT. We have to RUN the ball and control the clock.

852643[/snapback]

I would agree. I think Jauron will want to speed the game up and run, run, run some more. However, on the defensive side, we have to stop LT and I'm still not sure we can do that.

Two things: (1) Tackling. Go back to basics and emphasize proper tackling, because we've been pretty horrid in that department. (2) Stay in your lanes. The defense has to remember their assignments and stay in their lanes. If they over peysue, LT will cut back and burn them big time. I'll had as a 2b, the ends should worry less with getting up field to the QB and worry more about just clogging up running lanes. Do that and we have a good shot at containing LT.

However, I still think LT will score - that's all he does. So, to that end, I think we'll have to abandon the run as the game goes on. If our Oline can push them off the ball and allow us to run for first downs, it'll go a long way to us winning th game.

I'm not really convinced we can do either of these, seeing as how we haven't all season. So, I don't expect a win. However, I do hope we somehow manage to pull something out. And maybe, just maybe, the Chargers are thinking they can take it easy for a week before a few key divisional games.

Again we are playing a below average defense (looks better based on their offensive output) and are scared to play offense. They have allowed 27 points the last 6 weeks (Oakland only had 14)

Yes Merriman is back, but please don't shut down the offence.

I will commit heresy here and hope that SD puts up 35 points against us, so we have to try and score 36.

GB & Indy were flukes where we got lucky on TO (silly int @ 1 yard line and sorry to say 80% of fumbles just are the result of luck see Favre's and tell me otherwise).

I would agree.  I think Jauron will want to speed the game up and run, run, run some more.  However, on the defensive side, we have to stop LT and I'm still not sure we can do that. 

852708[/snapback]

I agree they have to contain LT, but not completely focus on him. The way to win (IMO) is to contain LT and Gates and let Rivers try to beat you by throwing to the WRs. Stopping a great offense usually involves taking away a weapon and making them beat you with one of their "lesser strengths".

That said, it's going to be hard. What do you do....put 7 in the box and assign a safety to double-cover Gates on all pass plays? :P

Unless there is a snowstorm/30 mph winds, they will put up 27 pts easy. 

Time to actually win a game with offense.....

852738[/snapback]

As opposed to all those great defensive games that shut down our opponents? You are watching the Bills each week, right? (that was a rhetorical question)

I'd agree I don't think it'll be a low scoring game, although keeping the Colts to 17 points gives hope. However, I'm thinking a mid to low 20's.

Again we are playing a below average defense (looks better based on their offensive output) and are scared to play offense.  They have allowed 27 points the last 6 weeks (Oakland only had 14)

Yes Merriman is back, but please don't shut down the offence. 

I will commit heresy here and hope that SD puts up 35 points against us, so we have to try and score 36.

GB & Indy were flukes where we got lucky on TO (silly int @ 1 yard line and sorry to say 80% of fumbles just are the result of luck see Favre's and tell me otherwise).

852728[/snapback]

There was nothing lucky about the take aways in those games..To suggest that Favre said here have a football and the win is just nonsense.......If they score 35 we are toast...get ready for a nail bitter.......24-17 Bills

I could care less how many yards LT gets...as long as it's between the 20s......

Field Position and ball control...bring it on baby!!!! We know JP can throw in the wind, let's see if philster can??

Gang Tackle!

No one has stopped LT this season,,,,,,,,,,,I am hoping we can slow him down, stop the big plays, and most of all keep him out of the end zone!  But the key is that we get the tackle on first contact.........not third or fourth. :P

852658[/snapback]

The problem is he is capable of throwing it into the end-zone too :bag:

I think with the pressure that the chargers front 4 can generate equivalent or better than what the Colts and the Packers defense can do, I think Fairchild is going to go back to being conservative in his game plan.  I hope he will run the ball 40 times (25 by McGahee and 15 by A-Train) and keep the high flying chargers Offense off the field.

852643[/snapback]

The only concern is that the Chargers have an excellent run defense, if the Bills are held to a few 3 and outs early on then this game will be hideously ugly to watch. If Willis can get 100 yard and A-Train another 40 with 2 td's between them I see a chance. Get a lead early and force Gay Rivers to have to throw in the Buffalo wind.

To me, this is the classic "make the QB beat you" type of game for the Bills. Tomlinson is the best player on the field for either team, and the Bills have to commit to not letting him take over. 8-in-the-box and a spy when LT runs pass patterns is a must. Make Rivers prove he can do it, in the cold and windy weather (he has never played in the snow).

On offense, I'd like to see a lot of screens and draws to counteract SD's aggressive approach.

If they score 35, we lose.    Simple as that.

852732[/snapback]

Actually the exact opposite may well be true. The best way to stop LT is by having SD do it by them choosing to go to the passing game as a major part of their offense because they feel a need to put up some points quickly.

I do not think the Bills D can effectively control LT because even if they play well, teams that have played well have not really nullified LT this season.

WM is good as seen by his yardage production before injury and as seen in his great work last week, but if this game turns into a shootout between LT and WM on the way to a 20-17 outcome I do not like our chances to be on the 20 side of the score.

I doubt that SD puts 35 on the board in an away game against us after flying cross country, but I like our chances better in a shootout against SD which relies on both teams throwing the ball primarily than I do in a ball controll game where the RBs are the prime determinant of who wins.

In either case it may well be Moorman and how well he handles the wind and flips the field versus SD which determines the outcome.

I'm not confident that a play like that will work two weeks in a row...Buffalo should know better than to bite on something that they had success with in OAKLAND.

853605[/snapback]

I don't particularly agree with this because if LT is successful on the ground, he WILL have the opportunity to throw from the backfield.

Take a look at last night's game. The Bengals did a great job running vs. the Ravens and they ended up pulling off a 40-yard flea flicker to Houshmandzadeh that was absolutely textbook. If you look at the play, the entire Ravens defense went after Rudi Johnson, and Houshmandzadeh was wide open.

As is always the case, when you can run the ball effectively and often, much like SD will be able to do this week, you can do whatever you want downfield, including letting LT throw another TD pass.