When is it right to meddle with a sports coach?

SDS

First thought I have is to find some time with this coach alone and voice your concerns to him and get a better understanding as to why his regimen is what it is. Never a good thing parents grossing about with critiques of coach , particularly if they be in earshot of the children. The children at this age because they want to please are going to respond to parents not coach and behave in kind.

Its possible if brought to his attention in a constructive non adversarial way he may see he need add some levity and fun to his classes and may even be open to suggestions.

Give the man a chance on this note, do it privately as we want to show respect for him and the children to also learn respect for those teaching.

Stating the obvious if the instructor has a chip on his shoulder and is not willing to be open it would best to remove your young man as soon as possible to another class.

Its a moot point now but the earlier suggestion of observing a class before you placed you son in would be the best course of action and a lesson need be learned in not doing so. imo

852771[/snapback]

the good news I just got from the other clinic helper:

Thank you for the email.  I appreciate getting confirmation about my concerns.

John gave me permission to run a game next week.  He sounded very open to my involvement with the practice.  I will try to do at least one game per week that focuses on wrestling skills.  I hope that doing games that build wrestling skills will help get John to buy into it and make it more fun for the children.  In my conversation with John last night he acknowledged his weakness with the younger children.  He seems to be opening up to suggestions.  If he is open to feedback I think there is hope.  I told him my philosophy about getting the kids to like wrestling then they will want to learn more technique verses teaching technique with no growth of interest.  If we maintain that message to him hopefully he will buy into it.  I plan to get much more involved.  I also want to try to be lavish with group praise and create a more enjoyable and fun environment.  Let’s work together to create and more positive and playful milieu.

If he bulks at that or it is still not working then I will talk again to the Commissioner, who I know and trust.

Thanks again and let’s keep in touch about this.

so he is open to change. I assume I'll be co-running it in about two weeks. :P