When is it right to meddle with a sports coach?

SDS

I started Andrew in a wrestling clinic and it is clear that the coach has never been around 5 year olds.

90 minutes of high school like practice, no fun, no laughing, no smiling, one water break, standing at attention against walls for 10-15 minutes at a time, doing physically challenging moves that are painful if performed too long (bridging on your head is not pleasant), etc...

This guy is going to kill any enthusiasm these kids had going into this. He CLEARLY has never taught this level before as what he is doing is highly inappropriate for this age and skill level. Another parent that helps out with me feels the same way. Kids are already complaining about being bored, etc...

I help out on the mat simply because I show up in my wrestling shoes and shorts and just start "helping" the other kids. I see their faces and hear their comments.

Do I say anything to him? Do I just pull Andrew out before he learns to hate the sport? Do I stage a coup with the other gentleman that helps out?

I think if I were you I'd pull him out. The kid is the most important thing, and you aren't going to change the coach. You are so right to be concerned, as this kind of coach can spoil the kids interest in the sport. My son was about that age with a swim coach, and it was awful. I took him out walked to the other end of the facility and enrolled him in a hockey program with a great coach and great staff and that led to a lifelong love of sport, to the junior and college level (he still plays today and his own son will start skating soon.) and played football, baseball and soccer. Never cared for swimming after that experience. So yank the boy SDS and find a better coach!

I started Andrew in a wrestling clinic and it is clear that the coach has never been around 5 year olds. 

90 minutes of high school like practice, no fun, no laughing, no smiling, one water break, standing at attention against walls for 10-15 minutes at a time, doing physically challenging moves that are painful if performed too long (bridging on your head is not pleasant), etc...

This guy is going to kill any enthusiasm these kids had going into this.  He CLEARLY has never taught this level before as what he is doing is highly inappropriate for this age and skill level.  Another parent that helps out with me feels the same way.  Kids are already complaining about being bored, etc...

I help out on the mat simply because I show up in my wrestling shoes and shorts and just start "helping" the other kids.  I see their faces and hear their comments.

Do I say anything to him?  Do I just pull Andrew out before he learns to hate the sport? Do I stage a coup with the other gentleman that helps out?

852609[/snapback]

Of course you say something - you are paying for this right ?

Two Possibilities - 1. The coach has never worked with youngsters before

2. He only knows one way to do things

2a. He's a psycho like the nut in the Karate Kid movies

You have nothing to lose by talking to him (aside) not in front of the kids

You might both learn something

I think if I were you I'd pull him out.

852630[/snapback]

I'd rather him learn nothing and have a blast, than have him know a perfect double-leg takedown and never put on his wrestling shoes ever again.

The water break last night came about 30 minutes in, maybe less. Another 30 minutes passed and Andrew said he was thirsty. I told him to go ask the coach for a water break as a "hint". He actually said "you just had one" and then continued... :bag:

That is border line moronic. Yeah, 5 year old kids who love to wrestle around want to be hot, thirsty, uncomfortable, quiet, and drilled for 90 minutes. :P Way to go coach.

The only way your 5-year-old will enjoy this is if you dress him up in overalls and rename him Haystack Andrew. Or give him a cigar and name him Captain Andy Albano. have him parade around the wrestling class, taunting everyone to get in the ring, then show him how to grab a folding chair and take out the instructor.

Or not.

That is border line moronic.  Yeah, 5 year old kids who love to wrestle around want to be hot, thirsty, uncomfortable, quiet, and drilled for 90 minutes.  :P Way to go coach.

852690[/snapback]

I think I would pull the kid out right away.

The water break last night came about 30 minutes in, maybe less.  Another 30 minutes passed and Andrew said he was thirsty.  I told him to go ask the coach for a water break as a "hint".  He actually said "you just had one" and then continued...  :P

852690[/snapback]

I was going to suggest something and then read that. He's one of those coaches. IME, saying something usually ends badly.

Is this sponsored by a rec commission, school,...? Is there an AD that he answers to? Talk to that person about your concerns (and yes, someone who dismisses the need for 5-y.o's to hydrate frequently.... that's actually a physical concern, in addition to the age-appropriateness of the program) and ask them to attend a session. If he runs the whole show, I'd pull him out and shop around for a better coach.

I was going to suggest something and then read that. He's one of those coaches. IME, saying something usually ends badly.

Is this sponsored by a rec commission, school,...? Is there an AD that he answers to? Talk to that person about your concerns (and yes, someone who dismisses the need for 5-y.o's to hydrate frequently.... that's actually a physical concern, in addition to the age-appropriateness of the program) and ask them to attend a session. If he runs the whole show, I'd pull him out and shop around for a better coach.

852722[/snapback]

As opposed to airing my concerns I just thought about inviting the President of the wrestling club to attend as you suggested. Of course, the coach running it is the VP. :P

It is a Howard County rec league deal.

There is one other session at a farther location that I am looking into. It would be worth the drive if they do it right there.

Here is what we signed up for:

“Clinic - 5 to 8 year olds very basic instruction, fun and games and one match at the end of the year.”

So, minus the very basic instruction, the fun, and the games - this guy has nailed it. :bag:

apparently you have never had a child before or you would know that wrestling around is one of their favorite things to do.

852748[/snapback]

No, I have never had children. I was one once, and was around many, including siblings, as I grew.

We wrestled; it was fun to do. But it wasn't organized competition that rewarded aggressive behavior at age 5 - if that is what you are talking about.

Edited by stuckincincy

apparently you have never had a child before or you would know that wrestling around is one of their favorite things to do.

852748[/snapback]

IMO, getting a new coach is vital is he wants to stay with wrestling. a bad coach at a young age can completely turn a kid off to the sport. I was in the school summer rec program growing up that offered swimming lessons. We were split up by age group and skill level. One year they had new coach for the 10-11 year olds, which i was in. this guy was a HS coach and coached us like we were a HS swim team. It was supposed to be learning how to swim, btu also having some fun during the summer. This guy made us swim laps daily. Our "warm-up" as 11-12 yr olds was 10 laps od 5 different strokes. By the time everyone had finished, there was maybe 15-20 minutes left in the hour. Kids stopped coming and when it got down to maybe 6 out fo the original 20 kids left, they got rid of the guy and brought back the old instructor.

At a young age, coaching is everything.

IMO, getting a new coach is vital is he wants to stay with wrestling. a bad coach at a young age can completely turn a kid off to the sport. I was in the school summer rec program growing up that offered swimming lessons. We were split up by age group and skill level. One year they had new coach for the 10-11 year olds, which i was in. this guy was a HS coach and coached us like we were a HS swim team. It was supposed to be learning how to swim, btu also having some fun during the summer. This guy made us swim laps daily. Our "warm-up" as 11-12 yr olds was 10 laps od 5 different strokes. By the time everyone had finished, there was maybe 15-20 minutes left in the hour. Kids stopped coming and when it got down to maybe 6 out fo the original 20 kids left, they got rid of the guy and brought back the old instructor.

At a young age, coaching is everything.

852760[/snapback]

I'm in total agreement. I guess I just need to figure out if this guy is open to change. I'm sure he is an excellent coach for kids at a different level - he just isn't experienced enough with these kids at this age.

First thought I have is to find some time with this coach alone and voice your concerns to him and get a better understanding as to why his regimen is what it is. Never a good thing parents grossing about with critiques of coach , particularly if they be in earshot of the children. The children at this age because they want to please are going to respond to parents not coach and behave in kind.

Its possible if brought to his attention in a constructive non adversarial way he may see he need add some levity and fun to his classes and may even be open to suggestions.

Give the man a chance on this note, do it privately as we want to show respect for him and the children to also learn respect for those teaching.

Stating the obvious if the instructor has a chip on his shoulder and is not willing to be open it would best to remove your young man as soon as possible to another class.

Its a moot point now but the earlier suggestion of observing a class before you placed you son in would be the best course of action and a lesson need be learned in not doing so. imo