Guilty listening pleasure thread

Pete

You have nothing to feel guilty about, with Liz Phair (unless you like her newest record...great songwriter), Billie Holiday? Allison Krauss...its' not like you are saying Rush or Steely Dan! Alanis and Snora Jones? Now those are two to feel guilty about!

:beer:

For me, it has to be the Eagles, and Stevie Nicks era Fleetwood Mac...

You have nothing to feel guilty about, with Liz Phair, unless you like her newest record...great songwriter...its' not like you are saying Rush or Steely Dan!

For me, it has to be the Eagles and Stevie Nicks era Fleetwood Mac..

852395[/snapback]

Liz Phair was soo, so good on that first album and has gotten so poor. She pretty much opted out of what was cool about her career and her songwriting in favor of something more pointedly commercial. All of the 'risks' she takes now are very calculated and for shock value vs. the clear 'don't give a !@#$' mentality that made that first record so great.

My guilty pleasure: probably gotta be the 70s rock cheese I was surrounded by growing up. Sometimes it feels so good even though I know it's so bad. Sometimes I feel guilty about liking Depeche Mode (late 80s stuff) and New Order (the early 80s material) but the songs are so good that I think they stand up regardless of any notion of dated style.

Sometimes I feel guilty about liking Depeche Mode (late 80s stuff) and New Order (the early 80s material) but the songs are so good that I think they stand up regardless of any notion of dated style.

852396[/snapback]

Mine are Side 1 of Berlin "Pleasure Victim" :beer: and Side 2 of Spandau Ballet "True". :nana:

...and The Weather Girls "It's raining men".

852448[/snapback]

You and Homer Simpson. One of my favorite bits of trivia is that "It's Raining Men" was written by Paul Shaffer. One of the Weather Girls (Martha Wash) sang on C&C Music Factory's "Make You Sweat".

Corrinne Bailey Rae....Girlfriend always has her stuff on....Seems like a pretty soulful gal. The girlfriend and I had to go to Albany a few weeks ago for a wedding, and we took my car. My girlfriend brought two CBR CD's for the trip, but left them in my car. The next week at work, I had to drive to a meeting, and two fresh-outta-college kids from work came with me. They saw the CD's and I have not heard the end of it since. The ol' "They're my girlfriend's, I swear" is not even worth trying at that point. I do dig the music, though.

Some guilty pleasures of mine- I confess I enjoy listening to Allison Kraus, Liz Phair, Norah Jones Billi Holiday and a couple Alanis songs.........

next-

852344[/snapback]

I've got songs on my iPod by everyone on your list except Alanis. I guess I plead guilty too.

My most potentially embarrassing songs would be Beyonce's 'Crazy Love' and 'Switch' by Will Smith. :beer:

Annie Lennox - Medusa

All cover songs:

"No More 'I Love You's'" (Joseph Hughes / David Freeman, The Lover Speaks)

"Take Me To The River" (Al Green)

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" (words by Keith Reid, music by Gary Brooker / Matthew Fisher, Procol Harum)

"Don't Let It Bring You Down" (Neil Young)

"Train in Vain" (Michael Geoffrey Jones / John Mellor, The Clash)

"I Can't Get Next to You" (Norman Jesse Whitfield / Barrett Strong, The Temptations)

"Downtown Lights" (Paul Buchanan, The Blue Nile)

"A Thin Line Between Love and Hate" (Richard Poindexter / Robert Poindexter / Jackie Members, The Persuaders)

"Waiting in Vain" (Bob Marley)

"Something So Right" (Paul Simon)

Annie Lennox - Medusa

All cover songs:

"No More 'I Love You's'" (Joseph Hughes / David Freeman, The Lover Speaks)

"Take Me To The River" (Al Green)

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" (words by Keith Reid, music by Gary Brooker / Matthew Fisher, Procol Harum)

"Don't Let It Bring You Down" (Neil Young)

"Train in Vain" (Michael Geoffrey Jones / John Mellor, The Clash)

"I Can't Get Next to You" (Norman Jesse Whitfield / Barrett Strong, The Temptations)

"Downtown Lights" (Paul Buchanan, The Blue Nile)

"A Thin Line Between Love and Hate" (Richard Poindexter / Robert Poindexter / Jackie Members, The Persuaders)

"Waiting in Vain" (Bob Marley)

"Something So Right" (Paul Simon)

852533[/snapback]

I just noticed your sig. :nana::beer:

Dr. Hook and the Traveling Medicine Show, and not his radio stuff (though I still dig On the Cover of the Rolling Stone), but his cool stuff, like Carry Me, Carrie, Roland the Roadie and Gertrude the Groupie, and Penicillin Penny.

You could actually change the lyrics to Penicillin Paris, and it would still work:

Penicillin Paris, she's the queen of the sunset strip

If she ever gives you any then you better see your doctor real quick

From the back seat of Cadillac cars, to the floor of men's room bars

She's Penicillin Paris and her future's written in the stars.

She's Penicillin Paris and ever since the day she came and came.

They say she's had so many, she gives 'em all numbers not names

I always call her Hun' but she calls me 1001

And Penicillin Paris starts to boogie when the day is done

She's Penicillin Paris and if you ever see her passin' through

Better run into your house before she stops and lays a little on you

If you ever let her in your door, it takes 20 million units

Or more to cure the love that Penicillin Paris is gonna lay on you

The Great Divide - Scott Stapp (awesome guitar part to it) or anything by creed

Let Her Cry - Hootie and the Blow fish (cracked rear view album stuff was pretty good)

Anything by Matchbox 20 and Live (saw them live recently and they were good)

Being Canadian I'm a fan of theirs even though most people can't stand them - Anything by Nickelback (especially their early stuff, pre How you remind me, like stuff from their first album, curb)

Early No Doubt was good too

Who doesn't sing along when they hear some give it to me baby, or super freak by Buffalos own Rick James

There are many older artists that someone my age doesn't usually listen too but I'm not afraid or ashamed to say I'm a fan of like

- Neil Diamond (my mom's favorite so I said one day I will take her to one of his concerts)

- Stevie Wonder

- George Harrison (probably the most talented beatle)

- Some Billy Joel

- Elton John, etc.

Matchbox 20. I actually saw them in Melbourne. Quite different than a rock show, the screaming teenage girls were annoying. I'm going to get kicked for saying this, but Pink actually has a couple songs that are pretty good. That's justifiable because she's got that bad-girl thing going on and I'd like to bang her.

My other musical secret? I *hate* Led Zeppelin.

-Jeff