Why can't we do what the NYG did...

Rayzer32

In alot of ways the NYGs and Buffalo Bills have the same issues. Rookie QBs to groom for the NFL. Each have veteran QBs who have struggled in recent years. Both teams have very weak O-lines. Tonight Tom Coughlin gave Eli Manning the start over Kurt Warner, so why can't MM give JP a start??? It can't hurt, right? If he struggles against first liners, then he knows what he needs to do to improve. Trial by fire. You can't say that it would destroy his confidence if he struggled, he knows he will be a great QB in the future.

Listen to Tuesday's MM press conference--he says JP may get time against the Titans number 1 D this week.  It might be the second series or something, but I think MM agrees with you Rayz...

297[/snapback]

I must pick and choose when i talk about this, as to avoid the "crusade" tag, but I really don't see the difference. Guys, like it or not, Drew Bledsoe is on his way down. How many quarterbacks have excelled and then done AS POORLY as he has to come back and have a great end to thier career. I can think of only one in recent memory, and he was just enshired in Canton. Besides that, once its gone, its gone. Some QBs just can't fit in with certain systems. Why not try WHATEVER it takes to win? If that means when we play a team with a weak DLine, who may give us time to toss, give the nod to bledsoe? When playing a team like Denver, or Baltimore, when you know sacks will come by the fistful, go with Doug -- I mean JP... I dont know.. i think Im just getting so sick of "waiting for the future" to actually get here. How are JP and Eli that different? The folks in NY seem to think this could be a playoff year - and that's with Eli at the helm.

Ok, two more days before i talk about this again

Listen to Tuesday's MM press conference--he says JP may get time against the Titans number 1 D this week.  It might be the second series or something, but I think MM agrees with you Rayz...

297[/snapback]

That would be nice, but I think DB needs more than 1 series against any D right now. Maybe he will compare how they do. Could this be a message to DB?

I don't know about a start, but I would like to see JP get lots of quality playing time this pre-season. I hope Drew plays well this year, but if he starts sucking again, I want to see a quick hook... definitely give JP more work the next few weeks.

The folks in NY seem to think this could be a playoff year - and that's with Eli at the helm.

309[/snapback]

If anyone thinks that they are out of their freaking minds. In a division with the Eagles, Cowboys and Gibbs-fronted Redskins? With that O-line? With Warner? With the fumble twins at RB and a supposedly 'rejuvenated' Ron Dayne?

Maybe if every QB lays down for Strahan sacks it'll happen, but I don't think anyone has gotten to the playoffs on charity from opposing players (refs, that's another story).

Give me a break. If they start Manning, it's because it's a rebuilding year, a wash, and they want to keep the brutal Jersey fans somewhat interested.

In alot of ways the NYGs and Buffalo Bills have the same issues.  Rookie QBs to groom for the NFL.  Each have veteran QBs who have struggled in recent years.  Both teams have very weak O-lines.  Tonight Tom Coughlin gave Eli Manning the start over Kurt Warner, so why can't MM give JP a start???  It can't hurt, right?  If he struggles against first liners, then he knows what he needs to do to improve.  Trial by fire.  You can't say that it would destroy his confidence if he struggled, he knows he will be a great QB in the future.

280[/snapback]

It can hurt because we're not worried about destroying Losman's confidence but Bledsoe's, as until proven otherwise Drew is our starter this season. As the Giants haven't been adding free agents to build up their defense to one of the best in the league. The Giants don't have a two year window to win a Super Bowl. JP isn't starting for the sole reason this team can be a legitimate Super Bowl contender if the offense shows any signs of stability which a rookie would not bring. If the Bills offense can manage to put up 17 points a game we have a legitimate to win almost every game this season. If Losman gets any time this season I say it will be a result in Bledsoe getting hurt and nothing more.

The Gints line is worse than ours.

Bledsoe will have a great year this year (maybe not a PB year) but yet his play will be called a fluke and the boo birds will run him out of town so he can go on and win another SB with some other team.

Warner is pathetic. Just got picked.  The only prayer he's got of being the starter is his own. 

He's so washed up he never has to bathe again!

339[/snapback]

That pick was on the WR, not Warner........

The difference is that Warner has looked like a rookie lately. Bledsoe has clearly been the best QB in training camp. I would expect Losman to get a lot of time with the 1st team in the last pre-season game.

As evidenced by.....??

I don't know how anyone one can say that, or what you've been watching. But, if you go by performance vs. the Browns and Broncos, Bledsoe clearly comes in at #3. Travis Brown, in those two games, demonstrated the most consitency of the three.

The folks in NY seem to think this could be a playoff year - and that's with Eli at the helm.

Ok, two more days before i talk about this again

309[/snapback]

they need to sort out the Defence before they start talking playoffs... I think NYGs CBs and LBs need a lot of work

Stevestojan - I'll say this: JP and Eli are different in very few ways. But the Giants have way less of a complete team than we do right now. I don't see that the RBs or WRs or OL for the Giants are any bit as good as the Bills (OK maybe the OL sucks just as much as ours). Starting Eli makes sense if the Giants want to build a team around him and Shockey... Starting JP is a waste right now because despite Drew's season and a half of sucking, he is an experienced guy who can do the minimum to help us win this year.

JP and Eli are similar in that they are just not ready to go right now - reference Eli looking jumpy when he felt pressure at times last night... These boys need a little more time to understand the NFL. As Troy Aikman said - this is preseason - the regular season is nothing like preseason when D's throw everything at you. We want these boys for the future - maybe 8 or 9 years at QB - so no need to ruin their bodies now.

In alot of ways the NYGs and Buffalo Bills have the same issues.  Rookie QBs to groom for the NFL.  Each have veteran QBs who have struggled in recent years.  Both teams have very weak O-lines.  Tonight Tom Coughlin gave Eli Manning the start over Kurt Warner, so why can't MM give JP a start???  It can't hurt, right?  If he struggles against first liners, then he knows what he needs to do to improve.  Trial by fire.  You can't say that it would destroy his confidence if he struggled, he knows he will be a great QB in the future.

280[/snapback]

The big difference is the Giants are rebuilding we are not. So I guess Eli and Kurt suck too according to Bledsoe bashers. The also play behind a poor line and get sacked every other play. But hey its Drews fault....and Eli, and Kurt.

It can hurt because we're not worried about destroying Losman's confidence but Bledsoe's, as until proven otherwise Drew is our starter this season. As the Giants haven't been adding free agents to build up their defense to one of the best in the league. The Giants don't have a two year window to win a Super Bowl. JP isn't starting for the sole reason this team can be a legitimate Super Bowl contender if the offense shows any signs of stability which a rookie would not bring. If the Bills offense can manage to put up 17 points a game we have a legitimate to win almost every game this season. If Losman gets any time this season I say it will be a result in Bledsoe getting hurt and nothing more.

414[/snapback]

I agree with this. The truth is, there are not a lot of similarities between our two teams. Eli was picked with the expectations that he would possibly start for their opener. Losman was not. Hell, he's not even number two yet.

It also makes sense for the Giants because if you watched their game last night you realize that virtually any team will be able to do whatever they would like against that defense. It's a throw-away year, so put in a throw-away quarterback's rookie year with it and get him grounded.

But don't compare the two situations because they are no the same.

(Hey stevestojan, I hope you know i was only joking with that comment yesterday in your quickly yanked "carrying around the clipboard" thread. That thing was yanked pretty damn fast.)

Archived