Police Say Mother Microwaved Her Baby

Tux of Borg

Article and Photo

Police Say Mother Microwaved Her Baby

By JAMES HANNAH

Associated Press Writer

DAYTON, Ohio — A mother was arrested on suspicion of murdering her newborn daughter by microwaving the baby in an oven. China Arnold, 26, was jailed Monday on a charge of aggravated murder, more than a year after she brought her dead month-old baby to a hospital. Bail was set Tuesday at $1 million.

"We have reason to believe, and we have some forensic evidence that is consistent with our belief, that a microwave oven was used in this death," said Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County coroner's office.

He said the evidence included high-heat internal injuries and the absence of external burn marks on the baby, Paris Talley.

Arnold was arrested soon after the baby's death in August 2005, then was released while authorities investigated further. Betz said the case was difficult because "there is not a lot of scientific research and data on the effect of microwaves on human beings."

The death was ruled homicide by hyperthermia, or high body temperature. The absence of external burns ruled out an open flame, scalding water or a heating pad as the cause, Betz said.

Arnold's lawyer, Jon Paul Rion, said his client had nothing to do with her child's death and was stunned when investigators told her that a microwave might have been involved.

"China — as a mother and a person — was horrified that such an act could occur," Rion said.

The night before the baby was taken to the hospital, Arnold and the child's father went out for a short time and left Paris with a baby sitter, Rion said. The mother didn't sense anything out of the ordinary until the next morning, when the child was found unconscious, Rion said.

Arnold has three other children.

In 2000, a Virginia woman was sentenced to five years in prison for killing her month-old son in a microwave oven. Elizabeth Renee Otte claimed she had no memory of cramming her son in the microwave and turning on the appliance in 1999. Experts said that Otte suffered from epilepsy and that her seizures were followed by blackouts.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I don't know why is she is trouble. Seems like you abortion rights folks would like this as a cornerstone case allowing the mother to have complete and total control over whether a child lives or dies until they are 18. I figure with the libs coming into power this will be pretty much a open and shut innocent case in a few years.

You know I don't know why is she is trouble.  Seems like you abortion rights folks would like this as a cornerstone case allowing the mother to have complete and total control over whether a child lives or dies until they are 18.  I figure with the libs coming into power this will be pretty much a open and shut innocent case in a few years.

851048[/snapback]

:censored::thumbsup::wallbash::worthy:

In 2000, a Virginia woman was sentenced to five years in prison for killing her month-old son in a microwave oven. Elizabeth Renee Otte claimed she had no memory of cramming her son in the microwave and turning on the appliance in 1999. Experts said that Otte suffered from epilepsy and that her seizures were followed by blackouts.

851019[/snapback]

what the !@#$ do you say about sh-- like that. :censored:

the 5 year sentence makes it even worse.

if you can do something like that, then you aren't even a !@#$ing human being any more.

You know I don't know why is she is trouble.   Seems like you abortion rights folks would like this as a cornerstone case allowing the mother to have complete and total control over whether a child lives or dies until they are 18.  I figure with the libs coming into power this will be pretty much a open and shut innocent case in a few years.

851048[/snapback]

This has to be the dumbest paragraph I have ever read.

I sincerely hope there is a hell so people like this woman could feel what it is like burning for the rest of their !@#$ing pathetic lives.

You know I don't know why is she is trouble.  Seems like you abortion rights folks would like this as a cornerstone case allowing the mother to have complete and total control over whether a child lives or dies until they are 18.  I figure with the libs coming into power this will be pretty much a open and shut innocent case in a few years.

851048[/snapback]

A-hole post of the year.

I sort of agree with VA to a degree. When I read a description of what happens during a late-term abortion, I was horrified. I would probably put that on par with what the article was describing....both are just unfathomable to me.

I sort of agree with VA to a degree. When I read a description of what happens during a late-term abortion, I was horrified. I would probably put that on par with what the article was describing....both are just unfathomable to me.

851221[/snapback]

Whether they are or not this is not really the topic to discuss this atrocity.

Whether they are or not this is not really the topic to discuss this atrocity.

851330[/snapback]

Only one atrocity per topic?

Pretty much. 

No in seriousness, I just don't like  how something bad happens and people use it to push their agenda into it which is what VAbills was doing.

851335[/snapback]

Ah, well I have no agenda....I think baby killing in general is about as sick as it gets....no matter what form it takes.

851048[/snapback]

You know who Father Baker was? He headed the Catholic orphanage in Buffalo for many years early in the 20th century. One reason he did so was because each year when they drained the Erie Canal for the winter they found countless baby bones and corpes that had been thrown in there. New borns were often left on door steps, in hospitals and other public places. Abortion was not legal till long after "infanticide" was recognized as a crime.

Am I the only one that questions how the police deduce she microwaved her baby sixteen mohtns after the baby dies of hyperthermia with no visible cause?

I don't know what kind of case the police have. I DO know that proving someone was microwaved sixteen months after the fact is a forensic nightmare, and far less certain than this woefully unbalanced reporting is.

851048[/snapback]

This is the highest ranking stupid quote I've ever read. Typical right wing non-think. While this might pass as logical on the nazi board, it really doesn't pass muster here on earth.