Woody Allen Films

ajzepp

I have always had the impression that Woody Allen was a borderline pedophile and a bit of a perv, thus I've never had much interest in seeing his films. That being said, I did happen to catch his last two - 'Match Point' and, just a couple days ago, 'Scoop'. I thought Match Point was very well done, and I liked Scoop enough to enjoy the hour and a half I spent with it. (The very last scene in 'Scoop' had me rolling....great scene!)

So, still uncertain as to how I feel about Woody Allen as an individual, I have to admit that I'm somewhat interested in seeing more of his work as a director. I was wondering how the rest of you guys felt about him, and whether or not you could recommend some of his better films to me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The early films are hilarious, classic stuff...especially the ones with lots of sight gags. But I think everything after Annie Hall is very much hit-or-miss, mostly miss.

I would unequivocally recommend:

Bananas

Sleeper

Take The Money And Run

Play It Again, Sam

What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Holy crap, Woody Allen is a national treasure. Pervert, maybe, but a legend all the same.

Yes, the early ones are funny and goofy and enjoyable. Yes, Annie Hall is a masterpiece. But there are many excellent ones since. Most notably...

Manhattan

Hannah And Her Sisters

Zelig

Crimes And Misdemeanors

Bullets Over Broadway

Mighty Aphrodite

Deconstructing Harry

Whatever you do, stay away from Celebrity. Just a miserable flop. He tried to make a tribute to La Dolce Vita and it just stinks on hot ice. Also, Hollywood Ending is pretty awful in my opinion.

I have always had the impression that Woody Allen was a borderline pedophile and a bit of a perv, thus I've never had much interest in seeing his films. That being said, I did happen to catch his last two - 'Match Point' and, just a couple days ago, 'Scoop'.  I thought Match Point was very well done, and I liked Scoop enough to enjoy the hour and a half I spent with it. (The very last scene in 'Scoop' had me rolling....great scene!)

So, still uncertain as to how I feel about Woody Allen as an individual, I have to admit that I'm somewhat interested in seeing more of his work as a director. I was wondering how the rest of you guys felt about him, and whether or not you could recommend some of his better films to me.

849266[/snapback]

I'm a Woody Allen fan. Like most, I like his older stuff better (overall).

What I like and respect about the Woodman is he does what he does his way, with little concern for the commercial ramifications.

thanks guys, that will definitely be a great start for my Netflix list!

Oddly enough, I've somehow seen Mighty Aphrodite and Bullets over Broadway w/out even realizing they were his films :lol: I saw BoB when I was dating a girl who was a classically trained opera singer, so I think we were trying to see films that were a bit more sophisticated than Ace Ventura. I remember liking the movie, but not being crazy about it. Mighty Aphrodite I enjoyed, though I had a HUGE crush on Mira Sorvino. What a babe :)

So I guess I've seen four W.A. films....I'll probably delve back into his really early stuff since I figure that's what helped him obtain his rep as a great filmmaker.

I'll have to let Woody entertain me until Jim Jarmusch, one of my new favorite directors, comes out with his next film :)

I'm a Woody Allen fan.  Like most, I like his older stuff better (overall).

What I like and respect about the Woodman is he does what he does his way, with little concern for the commercial ramifications.

849401[/snapback]

I can totally respect that, too. I don't want to see the studios sterilization of a director's vision, I want to see the director's vision period. There are a lot of amazingly creative people directing and writing films, and I wish they'd be left to their own devices more than they are. I think with the surge of Indy films over the past ten years or so, combined with the ability to make a film for nearly peanuts nowadays, you see a lot more of that independence and pure vision. I dig it.

I have always had the impression that Woody Allen was a borderline pedophile and a bit of a perv, thus I've never had much interest in seeing his films. That being said, I did happen to catch his last two - 'Match Point' and, just a couple days ago, 'Scoop'.  I thought Match Point was very well done, and I liked Scoop enough to enjoy the hour and a half I spent with it. (The very last scene in 'Scoop' had me rolling....great scene!)

849266[/snapback]

'Play it again Sam' is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

thanks guys, that will definitely be a great start for my Netflix list!

Oddly enough, I've somehow seen Mighty Aphrodite and Bullets over Broadway w/out even realizing they were his films  :lol:  I saw BoB when I was dating a girl who was a classically trained opera singer, so I think we were trying to see films that were a bit more sophisticated than Ace Ventura. I remember liking the movie, but not being crazy about it. Mighty Aphrodite I enjoyed, though I had a HUGE crush on Mira Sorvino. What a babe :)

So I guess I've seen four W.A. films....I'll probably delve back into his really early stuff since I figure that's what helped him obtain his rep as a great filmmaker.

I'll have to let Woody entertain me until Jim Jarmusch, one of my new favorite directors, comes out with his next film :)

849405[/snapback]

Jarmusch is terrific, too. Another who does things on his own terms.

Unsolicited recommendations for interesting and underrated filmmakers:

John Sayles: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000626/

(Just quality from this Writer/Diretor/Editor. Check out The Brother From Another Planet for some good laughs)

Juzo Itami: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0411631/

(Tampopo is a CLASSIC. Yes, there are subtitles, but they're worth it, I promise)

David Cronenberg: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000343/

(Yes, he's become commercial. But, Videodrome is an overlooked classic from his earlier period. Scanners is good fun, too.

And...don't forget the Fellini! (I recommend Amarcord and Ginger and Fred for Fellini beginners (which you may or may not be).

lol, I actually have 'The Brother From Another Planet' in my queue....I don't remember why I put it there, but there it sits. I'll have to move it up since you say it's worth a look.

Speaking of Jarmusch, have you seen "Down by Law"? I think it's one of my favorite films ever....There is so much charisma and personality on the screen in those jail scenes that it's nuts!

Manhattan Murder Mystery is also a lot of fun.

I'll second Mighty Aphrodite as well.

849457[/snapback]

He's got a lot of films out there....I had no idea he'd made that many!

Yes!  One of my favorites too.  The eight ball is a very good ball. :lol:

849472[/snapback]

right on! I recommend that film all the time, but not many people ever take me up on it....such a shame, cause it's a damn fine flick :)

lol, I actually have 'The Brother From Another Planet' in my queue....I don't remember why I put it there, but there it sits. I'll have to move it up since you say it's worth a look.

Speaking of Jarmusch, have you seen "Down by Law"? I think it's one of my favorite films ever....There is so much charisma and personality on the screen in those jail scenes that it's nuts!

849460[/snapback]

Yes. Stranger Than Paradise and Down by Law were the first two JJ films I ever saw. He used/uses some bizarre actors (Tom Waits, for example) in those films.

The personality/charisma you speak of is in all of Fellini's films, as well.

Yes.  Stranger Than Paradise and Down by Law were the first two JJ films I ever saw.  He used/uses some bizarre actors (Tom Waits, for example) in those films.

The personality/charisma you speak of is in all of Fellini's films, as well.

849490[/snapback]

fellini is probably the most famous director I know, yet have not seen any of his films. I'll definitley add your recs to my list, though....I'd like to see what he's all about.

fellini is probably the most famous director I know, yet have not seen any of his films. I'll definitley add your recs to my list, though....I'd like to see what he's all about.

849505[/snapback]

The two I mention are not his BEST films. They are very good (especially Amarcord) and easier to get into for a Fellini "newbie". Some of his films are tougher to appreciate, IMO.

If you like Amarcord, you might want to see Intervista. It is "meta" at a-whole-nother level.

The two I mention are not his BEST films.  They are very good (especially Amarcord) and easier to get into for a Fellini "newbie".  Some of his films are tougher to appreciate, IMO.

If you like Amarcord, you might want to see Intervista.  It is "meta" at a-whole-nother level.

849519[/snapback]

I just looked him up on Netflix, and it seems I have "La Dolce Vida" in my queue already....any comment on that one? They have Amarcord and Intervista, too, so I'll start with Amarcord :lol: