Flexible school

Fezmid

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think this is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/11/21/an...l.ap/index.html

And this quote is so bogus it's not even funny:

"Others disagree, noting most adults can barely remember, or rarely use, most of what schools pounded into them."

845649[/snapback]

Yeah, that reading stuff, rarely use it. Same with math, who uses that?

And they wonder why kids are so messed up these days.

Good luck making it in the real world afterwards where you have to go out and get a job that is going to require more knowledge then how to make a Horror Movie or a Cave for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Damn Hippies, these kids gow up now thinking the world revolves around them and that everything should be done the way they want it done.

Watching the change in her son, David Johnston, has been worth the risk for Randy Karr.

While David did well "statistically" at previous schools, he hated going, sometimes crying when she dropped him off. Getting him to do homework was a struggle, and in Karr's opinion, the homework was useless anyway.

"There's very little about learning that goes on in school," Karr said. "A lot of it is being still, being quiet, not talking to your neighbor, not moving around too much. Especially if you're a boy, it's lethal."

At the Brooklyn Free School, David, now 12, is blossoming. He helps run a class on pharmacology and carries a notebook where he writes down things he's learning.

David is going to be doing a lot of crying when it turns out the real world couldn't give a sh-- about his feelings and that he isn't qualified to be a mailman.

But then again, someone is going to have to run the McDonald's of the Future !

Note to parents: Your precious little darling is not special. He/she is not God's little gift to the world. Nobody gives a crap. Your child is just one more whiny little brat in a world already too full of whiny little brats. There's nothing magical about reproduction. It's all too common. There are literally more than a hundred million sperm in the average ejaculation. Don't act like it's a miracle that one of them made it. Nothing special about that. Get over it. In the words of the late Bill Hicks, "I have wiped entire civilizations off my chest with an old grey gym sock."

Note to parents:  Your precious little darling is not special.  He/she is not God's little gift to the world.  Nobody gives a crap.  Your child is just one more whiny little brat in a world already too full of whiny little brats.  There's nothing magical about reproduction.  It's all too common.  There are literally more than a hundred million sperm in the average ejaculation.  Don't act like it's a miracle that one of them made it.  Nothing special about that.  Get over it.  In the words of the late Bill Hicks, "I have wiped entire civilizations off my chest with an old grey gym sock."

845758[/snapback]

You know what? As a father, I'm 100% completely and tottaly against ANYONE that doesn't agree with this! <_<

I love my daughter to death, but her future coworkers, schoolmates, and the neighbors won't. Kids need to be prepared to deal with the real world when they get there, mine included. Bending the rules for them now sets expectations for later in life... (insert cliche rant here).

-Jeff

That's very nice.  It sounds quite pleasant for the children.  I propose that, at graduation, all of these kids are slaughtered.  This will spare them the pain and humiliation of not being able to function whatsoever in the real world.

845669[/snapback]

I dont exactly disagree with what you said, but do you remember much of what you learned in highschool?

Personally, I think this is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/11/21/an...l.ap/index.html

And this quote is so bogus it's not even funny:

"Others disagree, noting most adults can barely remember, or rarely use, most of what schools pounded into them."

845649[/snapback]

I'm glad the parents think its great for their kids. We'll se if they still think its great when their kids are worthless sacks of sh-- at 45 and still living at home because they can do nothing and cant follow guidelines.

I dont exactly disagree with what you said, but do you remember much of what you learned in highschool?

845834[/snapback]

Yes, I do actually. Trig and geometry (used it to setup my home theater), english (I'm a pretty good fiction writer), typing (I can probably outtype 99.99% of people on this board - and I have the tendonitis to prove it! <_< ), etc, etc. Learned lots of stuff in school.

Besides, school isn't just about learning stuff to apply. It makes you more well rounded. Does it matter that I know Edison was born in Menlo Park? Do I need that in my day to day life? Not really, but it makes you a more interesting person.

CW

like the summerhill link above, this is an example of the existentialist view of how education should be (extremely student centered). This is the polar opposite of the mindless pounding that our schools typically do with the essentialist belief in preaching the basics and test away. The main view of the existenialists is that students learn more when they discover the way, which i agree with somewhat. I feel the problem is too much freedom and not enough guidance in this system. This view is considered extremely liberal and a little too student centered.

In the essentialist belief, they feel that it should be your core subjects and that you are tested every so often, and you are just loaded up on data. This data is devalued after a while since it is monotous and unimaginitive, and they don't experience the data. The is the traditional, conservative view that has been interpreted to an extreme in No Child Left Behind

Most educators would fall into the progressive belief where you would need to stop testing so much, and let the kids learn and experience the lessons. This appears to be the most logical belief as you are able to tackle real life issues in this belief set. This is considered the moderate view.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some elements of that NYC school or summerhill incorporated into our education system, but too much of that may be a bad thing.

You mean like when an apostrophe is appropriate or the difference between your and you're?

845846[/snapback]

Do you scroll the board looking for things to be a jerk about? Is it possible that you could just NOT respond to things that would cause you to be an ass? Im not someone who is going to start swearing at you and try to act all tough online, but jeez man ... what is the deal?

Yes, I do actually.  Trig and geometry (used it to setup my home theater), english (I'm a pretty good fiction writer), typing (I can probably outtype 99.99% of people on this board - and I have the tendonitis to prove it! <_< ), etc, etc.  Learned lots of stuff in school.

Besides, school isn't just about learning stuff to apply.  It makes you more well rounded.  Does it matter that I know Edison was born in Menlo Park?  Do I need that in my day to day life?  Not really, but it makes you a more interesting person.

CW

845858[/snapback]

Fair enough. To be honest the only reason I asked is because im not far enough out of highschool to truly tell yet.

"Others say free schools could gain popularity if the emphasis on testing and regimented curriculums keeps up."

Yeah, that's what we need....people with even LESS education running around. I thought maybe these schools were for kids who were like 4, 5, 6 years old....but all the way up to 17??? I don't see how this is even legal.

I was a late bloomer academically, but when I did finally bloom I bloomed my asss off. I had to come to the realization that 1) there is true value in education and knowledge, and 2) it's important to have a proper balance in order to get the most out of it.

When I was a stepfather, I became an important part of the lives of two small children - twin boys. When they started school, they would literally throw a tantrum when it came time to do homework. What I did was implement a program where we'd work for 20 mins, then I'd give them 20 mins to go and do what they wanted to do. Then we'd work another 20, they'd get 20 of their own, and so on. I helped provide them a better balance to where they got much more out of the time they spent doing their homework, and then they began to realize for themselves - at age 6! - the value of learning. Their grades improved, they acted out much less often in class, and we became much closer as a family. There is also evidence that you better retain what you learn at the beginning and end of a study session than what you learn during the middle. So I think that helped, too.

Instead of totally screwing these kids in terms of their viability as productive members of society, maybe focus more on working with children to more successfully adapt to the rigors and challenges that come along with being a student.

Do you scroll the board looking for things to be a jerk about? Is it possible that you could just NOT respond to things that would cause you to be an ass? Im not someone who is going to start swearing at you and try to act all tough online, but jeez man ... what is the deal?

Fair enough. To be honest the only reason I asked is because im not far enough out of highschool to truly tell yet.

845918[/snapback]

I actually agree with AD's comments (look, I put the apostrophe in the right place as well! <_< ).Just read these boards and you'll see that a majority (?) of people don't know how to spell and don't know how to use proper grammar. Try to correct them, and they retort with, "It's just a message board, I know how to spell if it's important." I've never bought that excuse -- I don't sit down and think to myself, "How do I spell this word?" I just know how to spell from learning in school. It's second nature from SCHOOL.

CW

I actually agree with AD's comments (look, I put the apostrophe in the right place as well! :blink: ).Just read these boards and you'll see that a majority (?) of people can't know how to spell and don't know how to use proper grammar.  Try to correct them, and they retort with, "It's just a message board, I know how to spell if it's important."  I've never bought that excuse -- I don't sit down and think to myself, "How do I spell this word?"  I just know how to spell from learning in school.  It's second nature from SCHOOL.

CW

846054[/snapback]

Damn right! I'm tired of all these fuggers who can't know how to spell!!!! <_<

Do you scroll the board looking for things to be a jerk about?

Yeah. I find it more productive than wasting my time worshipping.

Is it possible that you could just NOT respond to things that would cause you to be an ass?

I'm sure it's possible. However, it's not all that probable.

Im not someone who is going to start swearing at you and try to act all tough online, but jeez man ...

845918[/snapback]

Uh, thanks? I'd hate like hell for you to have to get all internet tough guy. That'd blow my whole image of the majority of you Jesus freaks being hypocrites.

what is the deal?

Some guys play golf.