T.K...WHO?

K-gunner

He's playing a different position. He has moved to the other side. Think back to last year with Posey. He got very few tackles. His job was to contain and do more pass coverage. What you should be disappointed is that while Crow is getting tackles he isn't getting them for losses like Spikes was pre-injury and he has minimal sacks.

Again for the slow folks compare and not just stats, because tackles stats are subjective, but is Spikes playing the position better then Posey? Then ask does Crowell play that spot better then Spikes. I think the first is subjective, but the second is a resounding hell no. That is the big reason our run defense is failing. Does he scare teams, no. Teams run at him. People didn't used to run at Spikes when he was there.

Well said.

Again for the slow folks compare and not just stats, because tackles stats are subjective, but is Spikes playing the position better then Posey?  Then ask does Crowell play that spot better then Spikes.  I think the first is subjective, but the second is a resounding hell no.  That is the big reason our run defense is failing.  Does he scare teams, no.  Teams run at him.  People didn't used to run at Spikes when he was there.

845234[/snapback]

He's playing a different position.  He has moved to the other side.  Think back to last year with Posey.  He got very few tackles. His job was to contain and do more pass coverage.  What you should be disappointed is that while Crow is getting tackles he isn't getting them for losses like Spikes was pre-injury and he has minimal sacks. 

Again for the slow folks compare and not just stats, because tackles stats are subjective, but is Spikes playing the position better then Posey?  Then ask does Crowell play that spot better then Spikes.  I think the first is subjective, but the second is a resounding hell no.  That is the big reason our run defense is failing.  Does he scare teams, no.  Teams run at him.  People didn't used to run at Spikes when he was there.

845234[/snapback]

This refernce to Posey and being the SAM LB is exactly the theory I had been thinking as to why he hasn't had any game changing plays.

He's playing a different position.  He has moved to the other side.  Think back to last year with Posey.  He got very few tackles. His job was to contain and do more pass coverage.  What you should be disappointed is that while Crow is getting tackles he isn't getting them for losses like Spikes was pre-injury and he has minimal sacks. 

845234[/snapback]

Pre-injury last year... how was our run defense with TKO? Garbage!!!

The difference: Pat Williams, not TKO

Umm... the Bills had only played in 2 games. Against Houston the D played well.

Against Tampa, they played poorly.

Pre-injury last year... how was our run defense with TKO? Garbage!!!

The difference: Pat Williams, not TKO

845402[/snapback]

He was in 3 games. The Texans were 2-14, and he had no real effect in that game except one sack. The Texans rushed for 95 yards and Carr had 3 interceptions and 70 yards passing so I wouldn't use that as a moral victory.

Game 2 against Tampa we were eaten up by a rookie. TKO had little effect on the game. TB rushed for nearly 200 yards. TB exposed what the Texans were sniffing at, namely our run D was trash.

Game 3 Atlanta ran for 200 yards. He was hurt close to half-time so don't pretend he wasn't in the game.

They were getting torched that year with and without him in the game. Pat Williams was our run stuffer and make the LBs effective. We need great DTs before we start to look to replace TKO.

He was in 3 games. The Texans were 2-14, and he had no real effect in that game except one sack. The Texans rushed for 95 yards and Carr had 3 interceptions and 70 yards passing so I wouldn't use that as a moral victory.

Game 2 against Tampa we were eaten up by a rookie. TKO had little effect on the game. TB rushed for nearly 200 yards. TB exposed what the Texans were sniffing at, namely our run D was trash.

Game 3 Atlanta ran for 200 yards. He was hurt close to half-time so don't pretend he wasn't in the game.

They were getting torched that year with and without him in the game. Pat Williams was our run stuffer and make the LBs effective. We need great DTs before we start to look to replace TKO.

845448[/snapback]

TKO also said that he knew his achilles was a ticking time bomb since training camp and that he wasn't the same player with it, but he took the chance and it shredded.

You're trying to base a conclusion on very little data. 1.5 games is nothing. Also keep in mind that in the Atlanta game the run defense got infintely worse after Spikes went down. In fact, the very next play after Spikes left the field, Duckett ripped of a 30+ yard run (if my memory serves correct). In any case, TKO was a critical part of the run defense for many years. Was he as important as Pat Williams? Maybe not, but that doesn't diminish his importance to stopping the run.

845448[/snapback]

He has been pretty invisible. The comparison with Posey isn't great though. We had a different defense when he was here playing that position. Recall early in the season when Crowell was playing SAM and Ellison weakside. Crowell was not nearly as invisible as Spikes has been.

I believe that we'll see if Spikes will really ever be a force again next season. He probably will never be quite the same again.