Promise to Nate Clements not to be tagged again

TDRupp

In the "Sunday Drive" article in the Buffalo News today, the writer said the Bills should be rethinking there stance on not Franchising Nate.

I believe they are bound to Not Franchise him b/c that was a condition of him signing his 1 yr tender.

Anybody know if that is definite, 100% fact?

Or can they reneg although I know Marv won't...

In the "Sunday Drive" article in the Buffalo News today, the writer said the Bills should be rethinking there stance on not Franchising Nate.

I believe they are bound to Not Franchise him b/c that was a condition of him signing his 1 yr tender. 

Anybody know if that is definite, 100% fact? 

Or can they reneg although I know Marv won't...

844990[/snapback]

Marv gave him his word that they would not use the franchise tag on him again. It was not part of a contractul agreement.

The guy has come to play the last 3 games but what about the the other 7? It just bothers me when some (not all) athletes as their contract time gets closer and closer decide that it's time to raise their game to the level that they want to be paid. If he really cared about the team where was he the second half of last year and the first half of this year. Let him go and spend it on a lineman.

The guy has come to play the last 3 games but what about the the other 7? It just bothers me when some (not all) athletes as their contract time gets closer and closer decide that it's time to raise their game to the level that they want to be paid. If he really cared about the team where was he the second half of last year and the first half of this year. Let him go and spend it on a lineman.

845160[/snapback]

He has been blanketing wide receivers all year long ... heck I dont remember him even giving up a TD yet this season. Just because he isnt flashy doesnt mean he hasnt come to play.

He has been blanketing wide receivers all year long ... heck I dont remember him even giving up a TD yet this season. Just because he isnt flashy doesnt mean he hasnt come to play.

845164[/snapback]

Here we go. I don't have stats in front of me but I do remember plenty of games last year and this year in which he was beat. He calls himself "The Playmaker" but to me he's never been a shut down corner and for much of last year Mcgee was the better corner. We drafted a lot of DB's which to me means they plan on letting him go. A team out their will over pay. We neen lineman. LMO

Here we go. I don't have stats in front of me but I do remember plenty of games last year and this year in which he was beat. He calls himself "The Playmaker" but to me he's never been a shut down corner and for much of last year Mcgee was the better corner. We drafted a lot of DB's which to me means they plan on letting him go. A team out their will over pay. We neen lineman. LMO

845177[/snapback]

We have a hell of a lot of capspace next season. Too much not re-sign clements just because we need some immaginary linemen that will solve all our offensive woes. We can't keep affording to let good players go to bring in bargain basement fa's and hope they can replace them. Clements is too valuable to let go and create more holes on our team that we don't need. Unless you're comfortable with kiwaukee thomas and mcgee ::shudders::

845177[/snapback]

;)

Of course he is going to be beat once in a while. Heck, I can show you two times in the past 2 games that Champ Bailey was beat. :lol:

Have you been to any games this year? If you do go, please just pay attention to Clements all game. You will see him in a different light then when you watch him on TV. The broadcasters dont give him credit when he just blankets receivers all day long. They just pay attention to the 1 or 2 times he gets beat for a 10 yard gain or something. As I said, I cant remember a time all season he has been beat for a TD. Can you?

The Bills have been playing Nate off of the WR's for years now, and it's been maddening. He's got the skills to be a man-to-man cover guy and to disrupt WR's' routes coming off the LOS, but they insisted on playing him off. Well the past few weeks he's been manning-up and doing a lot better.

I think the Bills will get right of first refusal on any contract offer he gets in FA. Unless they work-out a deal first.

Marv gave him his word that they would not use the franchise tag on him again. It was not part of a contractul agreement.

844998[/snapback]

Are you sure about that? Usually nowadays they have it written into the 1 year franchise contract that they cannot be tagged again next season. I was under the impression that this was the case with NC.

What if Marv doesn't tag him but the oldman does ??

Sorry Nate, but I have orders, I must follow them or lose my job?? ;)

845281[/snapback]

From all I've read, if that became the case, Marv would walk. Also, from what he has stated about RW & his relationship with the team management.....RW wouldn't force the issue anyway.

A True test for a corner is when they are require to cover man 2 man, clemts has excelled in this scheme. WHen they running zone, cover two schemes that is when i see him get "beat." But you dont know if its his fault or the covering safety/ or LB fault?

845177[/snapback]

Ever heard of Raymond Clayborn? he had hardly any INTs in his career, but was without a doubt one of the best five CBs I've seen in my lifetime. No one threw on him.

Can we use the Transitional tag?

I think we tag him and get a 1st for him from someone....

845294[/snapback]

I was wondering about the 'transitional tag' myself, and found this...

Franchise and Transition Tags

So from that, it would seem that maybe the best option - depending on what Marv's real aggreement is with Nate - would be the 'non-exclusive franchise tag' where we can either match any offer or receive 2 first round picks.

That would be the best of both worlds - it lets Marv 'off the hook' by allowing Nate to negotiate w/other teams, yet gives the Bills the option to match any offer or be guaranteed compensation via draft picks. With the 'transisition tag' we either match, or get nothing.

Marv can't just let Clements walk away with no compensation at all, I think.