I can't resist this

AJ1

And on the verge of being benched.  Yeah, it’s Plummer that has them sitting pretty at 7-3.  :P

I swear to god most of the people on this board don't watch any football.  They look read some web pages with records and stats and then form opinions on players.

844244[/snapback]

It's not my fault, I don't own satelite and CBS doesn't show me their games :D

No, I watched and remembered the game. RJ was fukking horrible the entire game until that last drive. Horrible. Abysmal. Infuriating. And I liked RJ at that point. He fumbled. He gave up a safety. He did virtually nothing. He was pitiful for 58 minutes of that game. Then made one great heroic drive with 26 yards passing and got a FG. I didnt start comparing the two, I think it's a stupid comparison. You did. All I said is they both equally sucked. Okay, RJ's competition was much harder. But we lost the game.

And go ahead and throw around your stupid stats but I hope you know that 131 gross 96 net with no TDs but a safety and two fumbles is 10 times WORSE than 84 gross 64 net with one TD and no safeties or turnovers.

844232[/snapback]

I certainly wouldn't say horrible. There was no running game to speak of and he had some great passes to help the team occasionally until the end.

RJ's performance that day was incredible, considering it was the best D in the league with no running game. I doubt Flutie would have done anything different, and I know JP would've gotten 20 yards that game. Let me say now that I am not impressed until I see JP throw 200 yards on Jax. I'm happy for him, but I don't see him throwing 2 83 yard passes against a better D.

And on the verge of being benched.  Yeah, it’s Plummer that has them sitting pretty at 7-3.  :D

I swear to god most of the people on this board don't watch any football.  They read some web pages with records and stats and then form opinions on players.

844244[/snapback]

I am not sure how to take this. My opinion is that stats don't mean sh*t. Who cares who's rating is what. I do care about W/Ls and the fact that JP is improving, but his rating hasn't gotten us anywhere yet. Records do mean something on the other hand. I feel much better about JP now than I did a few weeks ago, but it has absolutely nothing to do with his rating.

Plummer having the worst rating as a starter in the league and JP having the 12th best is proof positive that personal stats are pretty much garbage. It still is, and always has been a team game. That is something NE fans have no conception of. :P

This is a classic example of "God is Love, Love is Blind, Ray Charles is Blind, therefore Ray Charles is GOD" logic.

I don't know why in the two years that we have been evaluating JP Losman that some NFL fans have been unable to grasp the possibility that there is more than one level of "bad."   This is the same thing I have been going through over and over again with people who have tried to compare JP Losman's early performances to the early performances of other QB's - somehow people only see one level of "bad."   Look, even if one wanted to remain solely focused on the single stat that you presented - Rob Johnson still passed for TWENTY-EIGHT PERCENT more yards against the Titans than JP Losman did against the Packers.   And yet, you come out and describe them as "crappy the whole day, terrible" - unable to see a dime's worth of difference even between your own single-minded statistic.

Additionally, I think it is utterly fallacious to fail to distinguish between the circumstances.  There is a vastly different standard for a performance at home, against one of the worst pass defenses in the League, in a near-meaningless game against a bad team coming off two straight wins, and yourself coming off a string of sub-par performances and really needing to show something on one hand; vs. the standard for performance against one of the League's best defenses; in one of the toughest, loudest, road environments in the League; in the freakin' PLAYOFFS!!!!!!  

Lastly, in having confidence in a player, I think it is important to get one's nose out of the box score, and actually look at how the player played the game.   JP Losman did zilch against the Packers, got into field position solely because of his special teams, and was bailed out by a Packers defense that committed football malpractice in blowing defensive coverage on the deep ball in a 2nd and 20 situation.    Rob Johnson led (what should have been, save for a bad call by the refs) a game-winning drive in the playoffs against a very good defense in one of the toughest, loudest, road environments in the League.    Playing without a shoe may not have really mattered all that much, but it certainly is the sort of thing that help "create a legend", and certainly is the sort of thing that helps boost ones' confidence, even beyond ones' stat line.   Even beyond that, though, plain and simple, game-winning two-minute drives build confidence......

So, at the end of the day, you looked at the stat sheet, said that the two stat lines were about the same (which they weren't even that); then completely failed to evaluate the actual quality of play underlying those stat lines; and then posted a remarkably arrogant comment about all of it.     Oh yeah, but I'm the crazy one....

JDG

844218[/snapback]

JDG, you're losing me here. The Titans had one of the worst pass defenses in the league that year, and couldn't really stop anyone through the air (26th in yards, 27th in YPA, and 27th in passing TDs allowed). Johnson was horrible except for that one last drive (and that only mattered because the titans' offense was equally terrible that day). If you're going to pick a game to trumpet his exploits, you might want to go with the KC game in 2000.