Offensive line flucuations

The offensive line looked better this week.

Let's analyze this for a minute.

In the previous weeks, the offensive line was to blame

for everything going wrong in Buffalo including that October storm.

This week, there isn't any talk about the O-line.

So what happened this week guys?

Here are a few options.

1. The offensive linemen learned to block during practice this week.

2. Chris v. actually sucked really bad and taking him out was what the o. line needed.

3. JP Losman put a spell on the texan defenders and convinced them to not go after him much like Obi Wan told the thos guards that those in fact are not the droids you're looking for.

4. Maybe the offensive line isn't as bad as we thought .. or as good as they looked this week.

Maybe the coaches did a better job of calling a game that got Losman in three step drops and on the move more often.

4. Maybe the offensive line isn't as bad as we thought .. or as good as they looked this week.

843302[/snapback]

As they say, you're never as good as you look after a win, or as bad as you look after a loss (Chicago game excluded).

We played well against a flawed team. But these kinds of games can do wonders for a team's psyche, not to mention that of the fans!

Bring on the Jags!

Damn, I thought the right side still looked suspect. Teams have figured out that we only run left, and the Texans were crashing down the line from the right side jamming everything up. I also thought that the pass protection, again on the right side was weak. JP had just enough time to make some down the field throws, so I guess that is an improvement.

OK well lemme pose this question.

What if the O-line performs well again over the next few weeks.

Not even as well as this week .. lets say reasonably well.

Do we still use our first pick on an O-lineman in the draft?

843321[/snapback]

Yes.

good point .. but i like my obi wan theory better :lol:

Damn, I thought the right side still looked suspect.  Teams have figured out that we only run left, and the Texans were crashing down the line from the right side jamming everything up.  I also thought that the pass protection, again on the right side was weak.  JP had just enough time to make some down the field throws, so I guess that is an improvement.

843331[/snapback]

OK well lemme pose this question.

What if the O-line performs well again over the next few weeks.

Not even as well as this week .. lets say reasonably well.

Do we still use our first pick on an O-lineman in the draft?

843321[/snapback]

not if there is a great linebacker available or a real stud defensive end. Just depends

Actually, I believe they looked better, but not great (the running game struggled cause they weren't run blocking well and opening holes) because they were playing a d-line that has suffered a bunch of injuries and is now weaker.

The Bills o-line looked good cause it played a weaker opponent, put them against a better d-line (like maybe next week) and I'm sure they will show us more signs that they need alot of improvement. And yes you still draft some linemen cause you can always improve upon what you have and that area needs depth. No CV, Reyes has fallen into the coaches doghouse. It doesn't force the Bills to draft them in the first round, they could go 2nd or 3rd with o-linemen if the guys they have develop into decent linemen, it allows the Bills to be flexable and go best player available at a position of need, like WR, LB, TE (wish we could have had Davis last year, along with Whitner), maybe even RB allowing us to deal WM if its true that Ralph is not impressed and he wants out after his contract is up.

Actually, I believe they looked better, but not great (the running game struggled cause they weren't run blocking well and opening holes) because they were playing a d-line that has suffered a bunch of injuries and is now weaker.

The Bills o-line looked good cause it played a weaker opponent, put them against a better d-line (like maybe next week) and I'm sure they will show us more signs that they need alot of improvement. And yes you still draft some linemen cause you can always improve upon what you have and that area needs depth. No CV, Reyes has fallen into the coaches doghouse. It doesn't force the Bills to draft them in the first round, they could go 2nd or 3rd with o-linemen if the guys they have develop into decent linemen, it allows the Bills to be flexable and go best player available at a position of need, like WR, LB, TE (wish we could have had Davis last year, along with Whitner), maybe even RB allowing us to deal WM if its true that Ralph is not impressed and he wants out after his contract is up.

843349[/snapback]

Again all run blocking is going to look horrible when the other team is run blitzing all game long. There are only so many people you can block.

Hopefully this line will continue to gel and we can address other needs in the first couple rounds of the draft. Pennington played very well. He was in position all day. Still not sure about Preston though. Gandy actually came through and was a beast on short yardage downs. Peters is Peters. Another great game for him.

Again all run blocking is going to look horrible when the other team is run blitzing all game long. There are only so many people you can block.

Hopefully this line will continue to gel and we can address other needs in the first couple rounds of the draft. Pennington played very well. He was in position all day. Still not sure about Preston though. Gandy actually came through and was a beast on short yardage downs. Peters is Peters. Another great game for him.

843359[/snapback]

Please, SD and Denver were both run blitzing last night and both teams still ran the ball real well. That isn't an excuse

not if there is a great linebacker available or a real stud defensive end. Just depends

843345[/snapback]

As much as I want OL help, WR help isn't far behind in the Bills' list of needs. The entire WR corps is average to below average (at best) with the exception of Evans. You can put TE on that list as well. Royal would be a great #2 TE as his run blocking is stout and he's serviceable as an occasional target in the passing game. This offense needs at least 2 more big targets in the passing game. Hopefully the Bills will draft mainly on the offensive side of the ball next year.

Fair points.

Yes we will draft olinemen of course but is it that panic-stricken we need an onlinemen right now or we'll all die type of feeling we have had for most of this season?

And that we must use our next 10 first round picks on offensive linemen?

And now the Bills offensive line only looked good because we played against a weaker opponent?

So by that logic, has this been the only weaker opponenet we have played all season?

843349[/snapback]

Its not an excuse....its fact.

Funny that you noticed that about the game last night but couldn't get the two teams right in your other post. 0:)

843368[/snapback]

OMG I made a little mistake on a post. Still it doesn't take away from the fact your point wrong. If run blitzes were so affective no one would ever be able to run the ball :lol:

More on that "weaker opponent" argument.

The Indianapolis Colts are near the bottom of the league in sacks generated.

They got 4 last week against the bills oline.

Yes I know Indy has dwight freeny and they are one of the top teams in the league.

But Detroit sure as hell isn't. They are also near the bottom of the league in sacks and they got FIVE against the bills.

OMG I made a little mistake on a post. Still it doesn't take away from the fact your point wrong. If run blitzes were so affective no one would ever be able to run the ball  :)

843385[/snapback]

The reason not everyone run blitzes all the time is because usually you have a QB on the other end that will make you pay if you do. They were banking on Losman failing again this week. Its not that hard to see......Jimmy. ;)