I learned something yesterday from the

plenzmd1

I did not know that once the QB has left the pocket, it is okay for a DB to chuck past the 5 yd zone. Checked it on the NFL site, and by golly that is the rule. I always thought that if the QB was behind the line of scrimmage, then no contact past the 5 yds. Dam, Don friggen Criqui knew that and I didn't ?

Speaking of Criqui, I am pretty sure he kept talking bout the game Butler set the record, but it sure as well wasn't the Jet game where he actually did it, and he kept insisting he was there. Any body else catch this? I clearly remeber the game set the record, as I was in the stands. Can remember Butler catching a 'hail mary: at the end of the first half. Only then the Bills called the play the " Big Ben" play for some reason. Any you old timers remember why they called it that? Pretty sure that was the first year it was legal for two offensive players to touch the ball in succesion and still have the play count, and the Bills were the first to execute it successfully and to try the play.

Next, why no blow to the head on JP sack?

Next, how bad is Criqui?

I wasn't in the stands, but I listened to the game on the radio (in the time before DirecTV). I actually remember it being the Jets game, and he had 4 TD's.

Unless the recordes were set in two different games, 1 for TD record, and 1 for the yardage record.

Next, how bad is Criqui?

843263[/snapback]

I was wondering this, too. I guess it was close enough to a horse collar, so they didn't call it. Amazing, since they will call it when a defender barely touches a finger to the QBs helmet.

Bruschi had a nice helmet-to-helmet smack on Favre yesterday on the play he was injured, but no call. Imagine that?

Criqui may be bad, but I have to admit it was a nice call on the final TD....

Is it just me, or did I get the sense that Criqui might be a Buffalo Bills fan. He was obviously excited after the game winning TD. Then when they were challanging it he sounded more like a fan and less like an announcer. Go Criqui!

Is it just me, or did I get the sense that Criqui might be a Buffalo Bills fan. He was obviously excited after the game winning TD. Then when they were challanging it he sounded more like a fan and less like an announcer. Go Criqui!

843435[/snapback]

Yup, hes from Buffalo. I didn't know that.

843435[/snapback]

is this sarcasm?...I can't tell, it's Monday and I'm old.

Criqui

843435[/snapback]

When the game started, Criqui sounded a bit like "What the hell have I done to be sitting here calling a game between two 3-6 teams?" He ends up seeing one of the most exciting drives of the day, so I suspect he was rooting for the chance to call a more important game sometime in the future.

I did not know that once the QB has left the pocket, it is okay for a DB to chuck past the 5 yd zone. Checked it on the NFL site, and by golly that is the rule. I always thought that if the QB was behind the line of scrimmage, then no contact past the 5 yds. Dam, Don friggen Criqui knew that and I didn't ?

843263[/snapback]

It's risky. What constitutes a pocket is necessarily a judgment call by the officials...l

Speaking of Criqui, I am pretty sure he kept talking bout the game Butler set the record, but it sure as well wasn't the Jet game where he actually did it, and he kept insisting he was there. Any body else catch this? I clearly remeber the game set the record, as I was in the stands. Can remember Butler catching a 'hail mary: at the end of the first half. Only then the Bills called the play the " Big Ben" play for some reason. Any you old timers remember why they called it that? Pretty sure that was the first year it was legal for two offensive  players to touch the ball in succesion and still have the play count, and the Bills were the first to execute it successfully and to try the play.

Next, how bad is Criqui?

843263[/snapback]

Absolutely WAS a Jets game. September 23 1979, 46-31 Bills, to be precise.

Absolutely WAS a Jets game. September 23 1979, 46-31 Bills, to be precise.

845457[/snapback]

Why was the play , the hail mary as it is now known, called the "Big Ben" ? I have googled and searched and cannot find the reason. My brother and I still to this day call it the Big Ben play and not a hail mary. Wonder if it had someting to do Big Ben Williams?

I too was at the game and seem to recall it being the home opener???

Spectacular game ..... love Jerry Butler.....one of the best bills EVER!!

Also wasn't one of the TD's the leaping grab over the DB with both arms over his shoulder pads catching the ball BEHIND defenders head and pulling it in.....without the modern sticky gloves??