Bills end NFL-record losing streak

Did you know:

The Bills had lost 13 straight games that were decided by 3 points or less? That is an NFL record. Their last victory in a game decided by such a small margin was in 2001, when they defeated the Carolina Panthers 25-24.

That streak ended today with the 24-21 victory in Houston. Did anyone know about this streak, or the fact that it was a record? I didn't, but I'm glad it's over. :doh:

Did you know:

The Bills had lost 13 straight games that were decided by 3 points or less?  That is an NFL record.  Their last victory in a game decided by such a small margin was in 2001, when they defeated the Carolina Panthers 25-24.

That streak ended today with the 24-21 victory in Houston.  Did anyone know about this streak, or the fact that it was a record?  I didn't, but I'm glad it's over.  :doh:

842830[/snapback]

It was a measure of how vomit-inducing bad the Bills have been the past few years.

If someone had given me a multiple choice question with the Bills as one of the possible teams, I would have got the answer right, though I'd never heard of the streak.

Here's the last 15 games decided by 3 points or less. Not pretty:

@ Hou 24-21 W

@ Ind 17-16 L

@ Det 20-17 L

@ N.E. 19-17 L

@ Mia 24-23 L

@ NYJ 16-14 L

@ Oak 13-10 L

vs Jax 13-10 L

@ Ten 28-26 L

vs Ind 17-14 L

vs Hou 12-10 L

@ KC 17-16 L

@ Atl 33-30 L

vs N.E. 12-9 L

vs Car 25-24 W

Here's the last 15 games decided by 3 points or less.  Not pretty:

@ Hou 24-21  W

@ Ind 17-16  L

@ Det 20-17  L

@ N.E. 19-17 L

@ Mia 24-23  L

842843[/snapback]

That right there shows you that this team has made some progress since last season. Last season we only had 1 game decided by 3 or less points the whole year, and through 10 games this season we already have 4. We hung tough in New England and in Indy and now we've pulled off a road victory on the last play of the game. Progress.

The talent may not be in place yet, but Jauron has this team moving in the right direction in my mind.

Think about this... until today, when was the last time the Bills "D" actually gave the ball back to the offense to, at least, try and win a game? That, too, might have been an NFL record drought!

842844[/snapback]

Your point is definitely valid, I tend to forgive the 'D' a little bit if the 'O' has been sucking up a storm and has forced a very disproportionate T.O.P.

Those awful games when our 'O' has like 15 three and outs.

That right there shows you that this team has made some progress since last season. Last season we only had 1 game decided by 3 or less points the whole year, and through 10 games this season we already have 4. We hung tough in New England and in Indy and now we've pulled off a road victory on the last play of the game. Progress.

The talent may not be in place yet, but Jauron has this team moving in the right direction in my mind.

843043[/snapback]

Yup. Not including yesterday's win, that's three games this year that could have swung the local squad's way had a play or two gone their way. That's pretty good, as two of those tilts were against teams considerd "elite" AFC teams. An optimist might even say that the Bills softened up the Colts for Dallas. :lol:

No one is going to want to play The Most Dangerous Team in the NFL down the stretch. Next up, putting the hurt on the Jags' season.

Yup.  Not including yesterday's win, that's three games this year that could have swung the local squad's way had a play or two gone their way.  That's pretty good, as two of those tilts were against teams considerd "elite" AFC teams.  An optimist might even say that the Bills softened up the Colts for Dallas.  :lol:

No one is going to want to play The Most Dangerous Team in the NFL down the stretch.  Next up, putting the hurt on the Jags' season.

843101[/snapback]

It's not unreasonable to say the Bills 'softened up' the Colts. They certainly provided the blueprint for hanging close (or maybe just added to Tennessee's blueprint from a few weeks ago.) Clements and McGee jammed Harrison and Wayne at the line and the safeties played deep, as the Bills constantly gave up the underneath routes, and then quickly gang-tackled and pounded the pass catchers. It's also imperative for the defense or special teams to make a play which leads to points, which the Dallas D did with an INT for 6.

The Bills couldn't play Jacksonville at a better time. The Jags have a short week, playing an away game on MNF tonight, and then with the Thanksgiving holiday Thursday and travelling up north on the weekend, the Bills should have a 'freshness' advantage.

Did you know:

The Bills had lost 13 straight games that were decided by 3 points or less?  That is an NFL record.  Their last victory in a game decided by such a small margin was in 2001, when they defeated the Carolina Panthers 25-24.

That streak ended today with the 24-21 victory in Houston.  Did anyone know about this streak, or the fact that it was a record?  I didn't, but I'm glad it's over.  :lol:

842830[/snapback]

Just goes to show how watered down the NFL is and how teams can rise quickly. It is just that the ball has not bounced our way for too long.

Last season we only had 1 game decided by 3 or less points the whole year,

843043[/snapback]

And in that one game the Bills blew a 21 point lead with some of the worst playcalling I've seen in the past 5 years. Not exactly the type of close game a team is looking for.

Did you know:

That streak ended today with the 24-21 victory in Houston.  Did anyone know about this streak, or the fact that it was a record?  I didn't, but I'm glad it's over.  :)

842830[/snapback]

This is kind of a worthless statistic/reference. I can think of three games off the top of my head that the Bills won in OT (against Minnesota, Chicago, and Cincinatti) during the Bledsoe Era by scoring a touchdown. Would anyone here try to say that: A) Those weren't close games and B) It would be a more impressive victory had the Bills kicked field goals instead? I doubt it...

This is kind of a worthless statistic/reference. I can think of three games off the top of my head that the Bills won in OT (against Minnesota, Chicago, and Cincinatti) during the Bledsoe Era by scoring a touchdown. Would anyone here try to say that: A) Those weren't close games and B) It would be a more impressive victory had the Bills kicked field goals instead? I doubt it...

843458[/snapback]

I think that's why the statistic was pretty much unknown. I don't place a lot of stock in it either, it's just interesting. That's a lot of games in row to lose when you are right on the cusp. You'd think you'd have to get the bounces sometime.

I actually had to go back and count them because I didn't really believe the stat. Specifically, I knew they won a few OT games; it's strange they were all by 6. And in the Minny game specifically, they did get a bounce- didn't Hollis kick a 50+ yarder at the buzzer that bounced off the crossbar and in?

I think that's why the statistic was pretty much unknown.  I don't place a lot of stock in it either, it's just interesting.  That's a lot of games in row to lose when you are right on the cusp.  You'd think you'd have to get the bounces sometime.

I actually had to go back and count them because I didn't really believe the stat.  Specifically, I knew they won a few OT games; it's strange they were all by 6.  And in the Minny game specifically, they did get a bounce- didn't Hollis kick a 50+ yarder at the buzzer that bounced off the crossbar and in?

843467[/snapback]

Yup, Hollis bounced it off the crossbar. That was a wild game.

I just don't like how people in the media and to a lesser extent in this thread are trying to use this reference to demonstrate how the Bills have no heart.

The fact of the matter is this reference misses the OT games, any game that the Bills scored late in to pull away (Such as Green Bay two weeks ago) and could possibly reward a team for partially collapsing and squandering a big lead only to pull it out in the end (such as what almost happened against Minnesota).