Charlie Rangel wants to bring back the draft

/dev/null

And he's right.  Why should the kids of the middle and lower class go to fight Bush's war?  If everyone benefits from our military, then everyone should serve.  Rangel's been trying to do this for years and his rationale is absolutely correct:  perhaps if everyone's fair game for military service, people won't be in such a rush to start wars.

I happened to meet a couple from Alaska recently...no question the redness of THAT state.  They are successful business owners and were sharing their support for the big GOP heroes in Congress.  Therefore I was floored when the wife said that her sons were approaching military age and she was either going to make sure they got into college, or Canada.  I asked her if she thought it was fair that only kids who couldn't do college (or Canada) fought wars and she said "no" but these were HER kids...and then after a moment she said "it's a stupid war and we never should have started it."

Rangel's right.

842574[/snapback]

You're a fool. We have been fighting wars with the draft since the revolutionary war. If you think this country would not fight a war because the risk of our sons and daughters we're in the draft is absolutely insane.

I don't want a military the way it was in the 60's and 70's. I want people in the military who want to be their and are not looking for ways to get out. Plus, if we can field the best military in the world with a volunteer force why should we change? God bless these brave men and woman who volunteer and place country above individual needs. Most of these people want to be in the military and it provides a career path and opportunity for all of our citizens including some of our less fortunate citizens.

Plus the libs want a smaller military not a larger one. In fact, most libs today hate the military and would do anything not to go to war to defend this country. The problem is the Republicans know we're fighting a brutal war with Radical Islam and the Dems do not. We want to confront the issue head on and the Dems want to talk and run away. We're not fighting a country; we're fighting an ideology with no boundaries or boarders. Once they get the bomb, it's only a matter of time until a few major US cities get hit. It will be too late to start the fight then, so we must take care of business now. The only problem is the liberals will not let us fight the fight. The only way we lose this fight is if we lose it ourselves. This has already started in congress and the senate. Let’s take away more tools and intelligence gather capabilities to "protect" our individual rights. What about the rights of the 3,000 people murdered on 9/11? If Uncle SAM what to listen to my boring conversations have at it. The only people that fear authority are the people that are breaking the law in the first place.

As for Bush's war, this is not Bush's war. It's our war and it all started with Jimmy Carter in 1979 with Iran, only we didn't know we were fighting one until 9/11 and you still don’t know we are.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jefferson, if memory serves, sent the navy to Med and is not the author of the constitution.

843544[/snapback]

My last post was literally that Jefferson was NOT the author of the Constitution. Madison was. So no sh--!

And yes, Jefferson was President during the First Barbary War and even commissioned William Eaton's mission to overthrow the Bashaw of Tripoli to free the sailors captured on the USS Philadelphia. But he and Tobias Lear ended up giving up on Eaton's mission before he actually made it to Tripoli and they basically settled on an agreement with Tripoli to go back to paying tribute (bribes) to get back their sailors and for assurances that American trading vessels wouldn't be attacked.

The Barbary states went back to their same BS during the War of 1812 and there was a Second Barbary War under Madison. This time Stephen Decatur and William Bainbridge basically used overwhelming force to take the Barbary States to the woodshed and put a permanent end to the problem.

Of course Washington didn't like to enter into long term alliances, because after getting the Hurons(?) help in evicting the French from Duquesne, all bets were off in pushing the same Indians further west by the new American republic.

I'm not sure that had anything to do with it. History says it's pretty dangerous to marry militarily to other nations because you stop doing what's best for yourself.

The two correlate in that US interests don't (and have never) stopped at the Atlantic Ocean.

843470[/snapback]

I didn't say that, nor did I imply it. Regardless, unless we want the American taxpayer to continue footing the bill for policing the world, it's time to seriously rethink what we're doing.

You're a fool.  We have been fighting wars with the draft since the revolutionary war.  If you think this country would not fight a war because the risk of our sons and daughters we're in the draft is absolutely insane. 

I don't want a military the way it was in the 60's and 70's.  I want people in the military who want to be their and are not looking for ways to get out.  Plus, if we can field the best military in the world with a volunteer force why should we change? God bless these brave men and woman who volunteer and place country above individual needs.  Most of these people want to be in the military and it provides a career path and opportunity for all of our citizens including some of our less fortunate citizens. 

Plus the libs want a smaller military not a larger one.  In fact, most libs today hate the military and would do anything not to go to war to defend this country.  The problem is the Republicans know we're fighting a brutal war with Radical Islam and the Dems do not.  We want to confront the issue head on and the Dems want to talk and run away.  We're not fighting a country; we're fighting an ideology with no boundaries or boarders. Once they get the bomb, it's only a matter of time until a few major US cities get hit.  It will be too late to start the fight then, so we must take care of business now.  The only problem is the liberals will not let us fight the fight.  The only way we lose this fight is if we lose it ourselves.  This has already started in congress and the senate.  Let’s take away more tools and intelligence gather capabilities to "protect" our individual rights.  What about the rights of the 3,000 people murdered on 9/11?  If Uncle SAM what to listen to my boring conversations have at it.  The only people that fear authority are the people that are breaking the law in the first place. 

As for Bush's war, this is not Bush's war.  It's our war and it all started with Jimmy Carter in 1979 with Iran, only we didn't know we were fighting one until 9/11 and you still don’t know we are.

843599[/snapback]

Holy Moses. I think I just ran into Professor Sam Kinison from Back to School.

I didn't say that, nor did I imply it.  Regardless, unless we want the American taxpayer to continue footing the bill for policing the world, it's time to seriously rethink what we're doing.

843749[/snapback]

You know that the imperial US doesn't police the entire world, just the key parts.

(Boy, do I miss the cantankerous old guy, as his snidely avatar would come in handy right now)

You're a fool.  We have been fighting wars with the draft since the revolutionary war.  If you think this country would not fight a war because the risk of our sons and daughters we're in the draft is absolutely insane. 

I don't want a military the way it was in the 60's and 70's.  I want people in the military who want to be their and are not looking for ways to get out.  Plus, if we can field the best military in the world with a volunteer force why should we change? God bless these brave men and woman who volunteer and place country above individual needs.  Most of these people want to be in the military and it provides a career path and opportunity for all of our citizens including some of our less fortunate citizens. 

Plus the libs want a smaller military not a larger one.  In fact, most libs today hate the military and would do anything not to go to war to defend this country.  The problem is the Republicans know we're fighting a brutal war with Radical Islam and the Dems do not.  We want to confront the issue head on and the Dems want to talk and run away.  We're not fighting a country; we're fighting an ideology with no boundaries or boarders. Once they get the bomb, it's only a matter of time until a few major US cities get hit.  It will be too late to start the fight then, so we must take care of business now.  The only problem is the liberals will not let us fight the fight.  The only way we lose this fight is if we lose it ourselves.  This has already started in congress and the senate.  Let’s take away more tools and intelligence gather capabilities to "protect" our individual rights.  What about the rights of the 3,000 people murdered on 9/11?  If Uncle SAM what to listen to my boring conversations have at it.  The only people that fear authority are the people that are breaking the law in the first place. 

As for Bush's war, this is not Bush's war.  It's our war and it all started with Jimmy Carter in 1979 with Iran, only we didn't know we were fighting one until 9/11 and you still don’t know we are.

843599[/snapback]

And YOU are an ass. Since the military has been having a hard time meeting recruitment quotas it has, by its own admission, LOWERED the standards.

Either way you are starting to see people who under normal circumstancse wouldn't be there and are not the best people to be there. With the draft you'll have shitload of people who'd rather be anywhere else. But I bet if you took a poll you'd find that in peacetime a LOT more people think of the military as an attractive career than you do right now.

It's our war because we sat on our asses in front of TV, chasing our American dream, and let it happen. We let the politicians do it. We must now pay the price.

I don't hate the military. I hate the !@#$s that send them off to be maimed and slaughtered. Why are YOU still stateside? I have a brother in law going BACK to the middle east for the third time...a stepson who got stop-lossed and still won't talk about Baghdad...what the hell do you know? It's amazing how the military can seem A-OK until the leaders of the country are a bunch of arrogant, ignorant !@#$s who invade a foreign country because "he tried to kill my dad". Suddenly you won't find a whole lot of soldiers who actually WANT to be there. Who would want to be there when you're a sitting duck...with morons running the country who couldn't lead their way out of a paper bag?

You're right, we're fighting an idealogy. And only an ASS would belive that that sort of war can be won with military right. We LOST Vietnam because we couldn't learn how to fight the right way (after the French warned us but we were too arrogant to listen) and we'll lose the war against militant extremist Islam for the same reason - it's not too late but if we don't wise up, it will be. Soon.

And YOU are an ass.  Since the military has been having a hard time meeting recruitment quotas it has, by its own admission, LOWERED the standards.

Which are still higher than the rest of society. Lowering the standards is a blanket term, used by people like you to stir up the rest of retardia. It wasn't long ago when the Air Force was so selective you couldn't even have a speeding ticket and get in.

Either way you are starting to see people who under normal circumstancse wouldn't be there and are not the best people to be there. 

You are so full of sh--. I'm sure you'll have an excuse for this line because you talked to someone high up - which'll be another of your typical lies.

With the draft you'll have shitload of people who'd rather be anywhere else.  But I bet if you took a poll you'd find that in peacetime a LOT more people think of the military as an attractive career than you do right now. 

Gee, really? You mean when you're not just there to get some money for college or do a little traveling but instead have to lay your life on the line, people are a little more selective at signing up? That's a gigantic shocker. I'll bet that's never happened before.

It's our war because we sat on our asses in front of TV, chasing our American dream, and let it happen.  We let the politicians do it.  We must now pay the price.

Now apply that to virtually every single thing you liberals think the government is going to fix. Iraq is a microcosm of how the government works - the difference is YOUR news stations are actually going after some of the meat of the story because it behooves them to. It's too bad they ignore most of the other stuff or sugar coat it.

I don't hate the military.  I hate the !@#$s that send them off to be maimed and slaughtered.  Why are YOU still stateside? I have a brother in law going BACK to the middle east for the third time...a stepson who got stop-lossed and still won't talk about Baghdad...what the hell do you know?  It's amazing how the military can seem A-OK until the leaders of the country are a bunch of arrogant, ignorant !@#$s who invade a foreign country because "he tried to kill my dad".  Suddenly you won't find a whole lot of soldiers who actually WANT to be there.  Who would want to be there when you're a sitting duck...with morons running the country who couldn't lead their way out of a paper bag?

The military leaders are "A-OK" with the leaders because that's their job. It's called "taking orders." It's not a choice.

You're right, we're fighting an idealogy. And only an ASS would belive that that sort of war can be won with military right.  We LOST Vietnam because we couldn't learn how to fight the right way (after the French warned us but we were too arrogant to listen) and we'll lose the war against militant extremist Islam for the same reason - it's not too late but if we don't wise up, it will be.  Soon.

844178[/snapback]

Yeah, they're going to take over the planet.

(after the French warned us but we were too arrogant to listen)

844178[/snapback]

Yeah, the French knew how to fight THAT war so well, they got their heads handed to them at Dien Bien Phu.

You really are a congenital idiot. Anyone who listens to the French regarding ANYTHING military-related needs to have their head examined.

I totally disagree with instituting the draft for many of the reasons that have been mentioned.

Yet, I understand the point that Rangel is trying to make. Politicians and the country as a whole would be a whole lot more sober about going to war if every person's son, father, daughter etc. were subject to being sent over to fight.

Nevertheless, this thing has no chance of passing.

And YOU are an ass.  Since the military has been having a hard time meeting recruitment quotas it has, by its own admission, LOWERED the standards.

Either way you are starting to see people who under normal circumstancse wouldn't be there and are not the best people to be there.  With the draft you'll have shitload of people who'd rather be anywhere else.  But I bet if you took a poll you'd find that in peacetime a LOT more people think of the military as an attractive career than you do right now. 

It's our war because we sat on our asses in front of TV, chasing our American dream, and let it happen.  We let the politicians do it.  We must now pay the price.

I don't hate the military.  I hate the !@#$s that send them off to be maimed and slaughtered.  Why are YOU still stateside? I have a brother in law going BACK to the middle east for the third time...a stepson who got stop-lossed and still won't talk about Baghdad...what the hell do you know?  It's amazing how the military can seem A-OK until the leaders of the country are a bunch of arrogant, ignorant !@#$s who invade a foreign country because "he tried to kill my dad".  Suddenly you won't find a whole lot of soldiers who actually WANT to be there.  Who would want to be there when you're a sitting duck...with morons running the country who couldn't lead their way out of a paper bag?

You're right, we're fighting an idealogy. And only an ASS would belive that that sort of war can be won with military right.  We LOST Vietnam because we couldn't learn how to fight the right way (after the French warned us but we were too arrogant to listen) and we'll lose the war against militant extremist Islam for the same reason - it's not too late but if we don't wise up, it will be.  Soon.

844178[/snapback]

Since when did you become a military expert? Let’s just say I work in areas in Northern VA that you don't even know exist. I have been around the military establishment and personnel for more than 25 years and I can say with confidence that you do NOT know what you’re talking about.

Don’t assume you know what our solders want or don’t want. Solder’s fight in wars. That’s what they do. They kill people and do what their commanders tell them to do. Don’t put your liberal ideological spin on the facts. The only way you defeat an enemy is to destroy them and their will to fight. Our military could wipe out these thugs in a matter month but unfortunately the political ramifications at home and in the world does not permit it. The liberal press and left wingers don’t let us take the steps necessary to achieve this success.

QUOTE “The leaders of the country are a bunch of arrogant, ignorant !@#$s who invade a foreign country because "he tried to kill my dad".

This statement above shows you’re truly biased and ignorant of the facts and are really very shallow. The case for war has been laid out and was approved overwhelmingly by both parties. Saddam had to go and we where the only country that had the balls to do it. Iraq invaded two countries, used WMD to kill thousands of their own citizens, used WMD against Iran, murdered tens of thousands in political retribution, Iraq has violated all UN resolutions for ten years from day 1 after their first defeat, firing SAM missiles at out aircraft, supporting HAMAS and terrorism, planning new WMD programs, stealing Billions from the UN oil for food program and all the while giving large amount s of exclusive contracts and oil deals to Germany, France and Russia. So get your liberal head out of your ass and face the facts.

How would you defeat this enemy Mr. Lib? Talk to them at a negotiation table? Who would represent the enemy? What would you say? “Can’t we all just get along?” Your living in dream land if you think this enemy will go away if we leave Iraq. What’s your plan?

My plan is the total defeat of all Islamic extremists and regimes that support them by any means necessary. What say you?

Plus the libs want a smaller military not a larger one.  In fact, most libs today hate the military and would do anything not to go to war to defend this country.  The problem is the Republicans know we're fighting a brutal war with Radical Islam and the Dems do not.  We want to confront the issue head on and the Dems want to talk and run away.  We're not fighting a country; we're fighting an ideology with no boundaries or boarders. Once they get the bomb, it's only a matter of time until a few major US cities get hit.   

I'm a Lib and a Veteran and all the Iraq War Veterans who ran for Congress this year were Democrats. Why didn't College Republicans join the war? Cowards? And you are right about fighting an ideology, so why feed its philosphy by occupying one of its countries? Hitler came to power in large part because of the unjustness of Versaillle. We are giving them a cause celebre right in the heart of their region. And as for the bomb, looks like Iran is going to get one. Not much we can do really, unless we want the oil cut off and an international economic meltdown. The Saudi ambassador recently said that even if one missle was fired towrds Saudi Arabia and hit nothing, the price of oil would hit $100 a Bbl. Imagine if Iran turned off their oil or closed the Straits of Hormuz? No easy choices, really.

843599[/snapback]

Oh really? Why not go back to 1953 when CIA overthru democratically elected Iranian gov? Carter got the hostages back alive, and that is something good.