Need your opinion.....

HelloNewman

Really depends on how you write the letter and who the target audience is.

Audience - Your target audience needs to be those people you care about but don't often touch base with durring the year. Prime example would be folks you knew in college but don't talk with. When I get a letter from one of these people I enjoy reading it to find out where they are and what they've been up to over the past year. Sure, lots of things have happened since you got their last letter, but you didn't expect they would call you up when little Billy hit the game-winning home run in July, did you? Close friends and family will know everything that you are going to write, but more distant folks may enjoy catching up and knowing that you care enough to let them know what's up in your life.

What you write - Don't be a braggard in the letter - nobody wants to hear how their ex college roomie now lives the perfect life with the perfect wife and family - they also know it's BS. Tell people about major events, but don't make it a list of accomplishments, etc. Don't get all preachy about your views on a certain subject - nobody wants that, either.

Too many Scrooges Off the Wall this year :)

It's a Christmas letter - your wife wants to send it and about 1 in 10 people who receive it will appreciate it. What's the problem? Are you worried about the trees that will be destroyed to produce it, or the 15 minutes you will have to spend helping write it?

My wife sends one every year - and it is exactly the "everything is great" letter people are condemning. Nobody complains and we have some older relatives that really appreciate the letters and send a thank you card in return.

Besides, I love to read and make fun of the letters we receive - just as most of our relatives do with ours - it's just part of a Christmas ;)

If she wants to write a letter, let her do it, just tell her its all her, she can write it, put it in a card with the picture, put it in an envelope, and drive her own @ss to the post office to mail them while you continue to relax and watch the Bills game on TV, and then any subsequent game that comes on that will be more enjoyable then bragging about your life. Also tell her she can do it as long as it doesn't interfere with her making you a pie or dinner.

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with it as long as it is kept short and isn't just a story bragging about how much better you think you are. A short letter to friends and family you don't see or talk to much during the year is a nice idea just to let them know how things are and whats going on in your life. Just make sure its not a novel that goes into every little detail of your life.

My wife and I are having a disagreement on what to do with the holiday cards this year.  We have a cute picture card of our daughter but my wife wants to include one of those newsletters about what went on this year. 

My stance is...I cannot stand them....I think they are nauseating to read.  I have read some of the newsletters sent to relatives and they are just an excuse to gloat about how "wonderful our lives are" when you know damn well things are never what they seem to be.  If there was ever a way to cram bullsh-- onto a piece of paper...this is it.

My wife's stance is....it would be a wonderful way to let everyone know what transpired this year in our lives (ie: birth of baby etc..).  Her side of the family did it for years and how wonderful it would be to communicate to people you have not heard from in a while. 

So what is your opinion about them and should we just sign the picture card and mail it or enclose one of those letters?

840934[/snapback]

Have her send it in an email then.....NO ONE CARES!!!!!

just kidding people care....

I like to read some of them, from the people I usually don't see or am in touch with often. The ones I don't like are from the people I generally don't like already , because they always seem to have a "bragging" tone to the letter about how great their life is.

841018[/snapback]

There you go!

Every year there are a few I love to get, and at least one that goes directly to the shredder.

I don't like them much and wish they'd never started. Why do people wait for a religious holiday to write to all their friends/relatives to brag about their trips to Mexico/Carribean and their kids accomplishments? Why not do an annual update in a different month?

MHO is that during the holiday season, we take the opportunity to wish each other peace and joy.

:rolleyes:

I don't like them much and wish they'd never started.  Why do people wait for a religious holiday to write to all their friends/relatives to brag about their trips to Mexico/Carribean and their kids accomplishments? Why not do an annual update in a different month?

MHO is that during the holiday season, we take the opportunity to wish each other peace and joy. 

844706[/snapback]

I'm waiting for one from you about your trip to Hedo.......

include pictures please.

I don't like them much and wish they'd never started.  Why do people wait for a religious holiday to write to all their friends/relatives to brag about their trips to Mexico/Carribean and their kids accomplishments? Why not do an annual update in a different month?

844706[/snapback]

peace and joy <_<

now like jack said , pictures ;)

<_<

844706[/snapback]

Please disregard the letter I mailed yesterday, simply toss it in the trash. :rolleyes:

A newsletter basically says...here, i am trying t be nice by keeping you in the loop, but i really dont want to take the time/money to see you in person, so i'll write it down. If you want them to know everything thats been going on, invite them over for a beer and shoot the sh-- for a few hours. If you dont want them to come over, then why are you writing to them?

A newsletter basically says...here, i am trying t be nice by keeping you in the loop, but i really dont want to take the time/money to see you in person, so i'll write it down. If you want them to know everything thats been going on, invite them over for a beer and shoot the sh-- for a few hours. If you dont want them to come over, then why are you writing to them?

844796[/snapback]

Some people have friends and relatives that they don't live close enough that its possible to just drive over and have a beer with.

aussiew - It is usually sent at christmas because most people are sending christmas cards already, and its close to the end of the year. You could send when in June, but not many people would figure it better to send a year in review letter in the middle of the year

:blink:

844706[/snapback]

ooh, ooh, and get a PS3 , don't forget the PS3 ! :blink:

You would make a good Pilgrim, Diane!

Peace and joy to you and yours, sweetie! <_<