Need your opinion.....

HelloNewman

My wife and I are having a disagreement on what to do with the holiday cards this year. We have a cute picture card of our daughter but my wife wants to include one of those newsletters about what went on this year.

My stance is...I cannot stand them....I think they are nauseating to read. I have read some of the newsletters sent to relatives and they are just an excuse to gloat about how "wonderful our lives are" when you know damn well things are never what they seem to be. If there was ever a way to cram bullsh-- onto a piece of paper...this is it.

My wife's stance is....it would be a wonderful way to let everyone know what transpired this year in our lives (ie: birth of baby etc..). Her side of the family did it for years and how wonderful it would be to communicate to people you have not heard from in a while.

So what is your opinion about them and should we just sign the picture card and mail it or enclose one of those letters?

I would generally give them the thumbs down. Unless she's a really, really, really good writer and then, only if she keeps it brief.

“Winter is coming, which simplifies everything and shows you that the essentials of life are heat, food, shelter, plumbing. The rest is decorative. The life that your wife writes about in the Christmas letter, the life of steady accomplishment and upward movement on life's graph, is mostly fiction. The reality is that we are all in over our heads. I am and you are. God help us. And so far He has. It could be worse.” -- Garrison Keillor

Eh...those letters do suck and the people who you are close with would already know about major events in your life (like the birth your daugher). If you go for it, I'd follow mead's advice and just send it to more distant friends and family.

But I do think that is kind of a catch-22. Your close friends already know about everything and the distant ones probably don't care. I think maybe I will do one someday but I will make it overly obnoxious to the point that maybe someone thinks it is funny.

i kind of like them, they are a simple way of keeping in touch...i enjoy getting them from freinds...

My wife and I are having a disagreement on what to do with the holiday cards this year.  We have a cute picture card of our daughter but my wife wants to include one of those newsletters about what went on this year. 

My stance is...I cannot stand them....I think they are nauseating to read.  I have read some of the newsletters sent to relatives and they are just an excuse to gloat about how "wonderful our lives are" when you know damn well things are never what they seem to be.  If there was ever a way to cram bullsh-- onto a piece of paper...this is it.

My wife's stance is....it would be a wonderful way to let everyone know what transpired this year in our lives (ie: birth of baby etc..).  Her side of the family did it for years and how wonderful it would be to communicate to people you have not heard from in a while. 

So what is your opinion about them and should we just sign the picture card and mail it or enclose one of those letters?

840934[/snapback]

I like to read some of them, from the people I usually don't see or am in touch with often. The ones I don't like are from the people I generally don't like already, because they always seem to have a "bragging" tone to the letter about how great their life is.

Since my kids were born, for the last 8 years, we've done an 8x10 collage with pictures of the kids and our family on trips, events, sports leagues etc. through the year which we send to friends and family. If done well it can tell the story of what was up with your family the whole year, with them getting to see your family and what your kids are up to and how they've grown over the year. We've always gotten lots of very positive response - and some of my friends have started to copy it as well. I much prefer seeing pictures of my friends with their family and things they did than just the single postcard with 2.3 kids sitting in front of a Christmas tree.

:o

Oh wait, nm.  You're Steveswin, not Stevestojan.

For a second there I was shocked that Stevestojan had precreated :lol:

841034[/snapback]

As far as I know he hasn't been around my wife :lol:

My wife and I are having a disagreement on what to do with the holiday cards this year.  We have a cute picture card of our daughter but my wife wants to include one of those newsletters about what went on this year. 

My stance is...I cannot stand them....I think they are nauseating to read.  I have read some of the newsletters sent to relatives and they are just an excuse to gloat about how "wonderful our lives are" when you know damn well things are never what they seem to be.  If there was ever a way to cram bullsh-- onto a piece of paper...this is it.

My wife's stance is....it would be a wonderful way to let everyone know what transpired this year in our lives (ie: birth of baby etc..).  Her side of the family did it for years and how wonderful it would be to communicate to people you have not heard from in a while. 

840934[/snapback]

I vote you send a newsletter...but only if you Johnny Coli writes it for you. :lol:

840934[/snapback]

One of my wife's uncles does that. He also sees fit to include his political views. I'm surprised he hasn't sent out an 8 x 10 glossy suitable for framing, or a lock of his hair that we should treasure as the gift of a lifetime.

I vote you send a newsletter...but only if you Johnny Coli writes it for you.  :lol:

841085[/snapback]

Allow me to volunteer on his behalf.

Dear Closest Friends and Family,

"Well, it was a purty good year.

I stayed out of jail and none of the kids turned queer.

The old lady finally got a job.

'Course she got fired the next day, but she did get a job.

Happy Holidays, from all of us to all of youse."

Allow me to volunteer on his behalf.

Dear Closest Friends and Family,

"Well, it was a purty good year.

I stayed out of jail and none of the kids turned queer.

The old lady finally got a job.

'Course she got fired the next day, but she did get a job.

Happy Holidays, from all of us to all of youse."

841134[/snapback]

git 'er dun

Nothing says "We really don't give a schitt about each other" more than a TV Guide version of all the things that happened during the past 12 months which apparently weren't important enough to share with these people when they actually happened.

If they cared about you, they'd have called at some point and said "Hey, what's happening?" And if you cared about them, you'd have called them up at some point and said "You'll never guess what happened."

When that doesn't happen, you think writing a painstakingly boring letter about yourselves is something they want to get?

Tell your wife to ditch the idea, get in the kitchen and make us some pie.