UCLA 'taser' scandal...

Tux of Borg

Was that the bathroom incident?  Obviously those guys were horribly out of line.  I was pleased to see them go to prison.

840768[/snapback]

Ruima was the bathroom incident. Dialo was the unarmed guy shot 44 times by one of those special crime squads.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can still do some damage if you're on the ground and in handcuffs.  I don't think they tased (sp?) him because they thought he was just an a-hole who deserved it.

840769[/snapback]

I see where you stand. We have different ideas of what constitutes reasonable police behavior. I think they thought they were justified in tasing him, but they were criminally stupid or pissed because he gave them a hard time.

You should pray that you are never in the hands of an angry cop.

I see where you stand. We have different ideas of what constitutes reasonable police behavior. I think they thought they were justified in tasing him, but they were criminally stupid or pissed because he gave them a hard time.

840774[/snapback]

Who was responsible for their anger?

840774[/snapback]

I DO pray that I am never in the hands of an angry cop (well, not literally, but maybe I'll start). I understand that there are bad cops.

I think this was a clear case of some college kid doing everything he could to make things worse and getting his wish. I probably wouldn't have used a taser because in retrospect it looks like that was exactly what he wanted. But that's easy for me to say now. I wasn't there and no one could know that. I'm not a cop. I've never been responsible for keeping people safe. And I can totally understand if these guys got a little jumpy because this "student" (they didn't even know that) was acting like a lunatic when asked to leave.

Being a cop makes you a target. It also means you are required to do everything in your power to keep people safe but never do anything more than what some people might say is too much ("some people" including those arrested who are going to sue you). Or else you get fired. Oh, and the whole time you get paid nothing.

Who was responsible for their anger?

840778[/snapback]

Cops should never let their anger, no matter how justified it may be, control their actions. We give them life-or-death power over us with the expectation that they will use it responsibly.

Everyone is human, but this is a job that requires the utmost professionalism and good judgment. Cops should behave better than an angry kid in a universtiy library who's pissed off because he thinks he's being racially profiled.

Ruima was the bathroom incident.  Dialo was the unarmed guy shot 44 times by one of those special crime squads.

840770[/snapback]

Oh yeah. The guy who reached into his jacket when the cops with drawn guys told him to freeze? :D Note to self....

Yes the one cop in that instance who yelled "gun", prompting the others to fire, made a clear error in judgement and they should have been disciplined

(and probably were). Of course, when the media, race baiters and other "concerned" types who look for any excuse to bury cops got involved, we ended up with four guys being tried for MURDER, which was a joke. Clearly I would not support throwing four cops in jail for life for an error in judgement -- especially one that was prompted (this is familiar) BY A GUY FAILING TO FOLLOW POLICE DIRECTIONS.

And as far as the Street Crimes Unit, they did nothing short of a spectacular job in cleaning up NYC.

Can someone explain to me why they didn't just drag em out?

840783[/snapback]

Maybe they didn't want to be kicked. His feet were not shackled and you can cause damage with them. And if they had just dragged him out we'd still be having the discussion of police "brutality."

Cops should never let their anger, no matter how justified it may be, control their actions.  We give them life-or-death power over us with the expectation that they will use it responsibly.

Everyone is human, but this is a job that requires the utmost professionalism and good judgment. Cops should behave better than an angry kid in a universtiy library who's pissed off because he thinks he's being racially profiled.

840786[/snapback]

Until we invent robocops that will never happen. You're being an idiot here.

Can someone explain to me why they didn't just drag em out?

840783[/snapback]

Because it's really, really hard to move someone who doesn't want to be moved and is fighting with you every step of the way. Not to mention they won't have to just move him out of the library but out of the building and probably down some stairs. There's no way you can do that without getting seriously physical which means he'd probably get just as hurt if not much worse.

He'd be showing up in civil court with a neck brace and his arm in a cast.

I think this was a clear case of some college kid doing everything he could to make things worse and getting his wish.  I probably wouldn't have used a taser because in retrospect it looks like that was exactly what he wanted. 

840785[/snapback]

Do you really think this? That the kid wanted to get tased? Did you watch the video?

I don't believe this.

Do you really think this?  That the kid wanted to get tased?  Did you watch the video? 

I don't believe this.

840795[/snapback]

Yes I honestly believe that. I don't think he thought he'd get tased. I think he thought he'd get roughed up and possibly take a few punches, which can be much worse for your health in the long term.

If he didn't want things to get really bad he would have left.

Yes I honestly believe that.  I don't think he thought he'd get tased.  I think he thought he'd get roughed up and possibly take a few punches, which can be much worse for your health in the long term. 

If he didn't want things to get really bad he would have left.

840797[/snapback]

That's the question really, why didn't he just leave? Why did he immediately mention the Patriot Act. Who had the camera and why?

Because it's really, really hard to move someone who doesn't want to be moved and is fighting with you every step of the way.  Not to mention they won't have to just move him out of the library but out of the building and probably down some stairs.  There's no way you can do that without getting seriously physical which means he'd probably get just as hurt if not much worse.

He'd be showing up in civil court with a neck brace and his arm in a cast.

840794[/snapback]

And he'd lose...

JURY #1 sees video footage of a handcuffed kid screaming bloody murder as he is repeatdly tased.

JURY #1 sees probably nothing (I doubt there would be a video running) and weighs the testimony of several cops vs. kid with bruises. Plus what is his argument now?

That's the question really, why didn't he just leave?  Why did he immediately mention the Patriot Act.  Who had the camera and why?

840801[/snapback]

There is an obvious answer to why he didn't leave. There is an obvious answer to why he mentioned the patriot act.

There is another question of why any of that matters.

That's the question really, why didn't he just leave?  Why did he immediately mention the Patriot Act.  Who had the camera and why?

840801[/snapback]

"Who had the camera and why?"

You may consider me an idiot, but you are a lunatic. Seen any black helicopters lately?

That's the question really, why didn't he just leave? 

840801[/snapback]

Exactly. The cops had to be thinking that. Why isn't this guy leaving? Is he up to something? Is there anything else going on here beside just some dumbass student (was he a student? why no ID?) mouthing off.

Cops have to ask questions that most of us never have to worry about. It's so easy to sit back all the time and say the cops should do this and not that.

There is an obvious answer to why he didn't leave.  There is an obvious answer to why he mentioned the patriot act.

There is another question of why any of that matters.

840808[/snapback]

Ok, I'm an idiot. What is the answer?

Oh and BTW not leaving matters because if he had, none of this would have happened.

"Who had the camera and why?" 

You may consider me an idiot, but you are a lunatic.  Seen any black helicopters lately?

840809[/snapback]

Yeah, like that has never happened before. Not saying that's what was going on here, but neither you, nor I, know.

I DO pray that I am never in the hands of an angry cop (well, not literally, but maybe I'll start).  I understand that there are bad cops.

840785[/snapback]

What do you think makes a bad cop?

I don't think it's intention to do bad things. I will bet you a dollar that every bad cop thinks he is a good cop. It's human nature. Just like every bad auto mechanic, or teacher, or lawyer thinks he is a good auto mechanic, teacher, or lawyer.