Scary $77 million scam

millbank

I wonder how do you handle such a thing? I was opening my mail this morning, ( had to come home for Ordination) and noticed a letter from Spain. On opening it found a letter addressed to me from two people I had never had any contact with of any kind ever. The purported themselves to work at a bank. The bank at present was holding in account $77 million , which they claimed was a estate of a person having the last name as I, who had tragically died in a auto accident along with all his family. Nobody had come to claim this money, these people proposed quote "business relationship whereby I contact bank and declare myself as relative to claim money, these folk would take 60% and I 40 % of said $70 million dollars. The letter asks I contact them so that they may have my information so they may deposit the money in my account. I am not to tell anyone of this arrangement.

-Naturally I took the letter to my local police, who told me this sort of letter is sent everywhere via mass mailing , the thought being that the cost of mailing is just the cost of doing business for these sort of scam artists, they do and will find a person or persons to scam. The police simply told me to tear up the letter it is happening all over the country. I have a Mother who is 88 years old at times at home alone and vulnerable to such types , we are not worldly people.

With the various 800 numbers calling and now these sort of mailings we certainly live in scary times, where we need be very careful.

This letter I received a evident scam, its troubling that seemingly there is no way to go after these people. First it was at times being very careful as to when I picked up the telephone,as it could be information harvesters or worse now these sorts are doing mass mailings.

INAL, but I believe sending something like this thru the mail is considered Mail Fraud, a federal felony. (That is assuming it isn't for real :lol: ) I would consider it irresponsible of the local police to tell you to just 'rip it up'. Although they are not the appropriate entity to investigate and in all probability the proper authority (PostMaster?) is too inundated to do anything about it, it should be left to you as to how far you wish to pursue this.

INAL, but I believe sending something like this thru the mail is considered Mail Fraud, a federal felony.  (That is assuming it isn't for real :lol:  )  I would consider it irresponsible of the local police to tell you to just 'rip it up'.  Although they are not the appropriate entity to investigate and in all probability the proper authority (PostMaster?) is too inundated to do anything about it, it should be left to you as to how far you wish to pursue this.

837871[/snapback]

He's in canada, likely they have no laws. You never see that in the US.

I wonder how do you handle such a thing?  I was opening my mail this morning, ( had to come home for Ordination) and noticed a letter from Spain. On opening it found a letter addressed to me from two people I had never had any contact with of any kind ever. The purported themselves to work at a bank. The bank at present was holding in account $77 million , which they claimed was a estate of a person having the last name as I, who had tragically died in a auto accident along with all his family. Nobody had come to claim this money, these people proposed  quote "business relationship whereby I contact bank and declare myself as relative to claim money, these folk would take 60% and I 40 % of said $70 million dollars. The letter asks I contact them so that they may have my information so they may deposit the money in my account.  I am not to tell anyone of this arrangement.

-Naturally I took the letter to my local police, who told me this sort of letter is sent everywhere via mass mailing , the thought being that the cost of mailing is just the cost of doing business for these sort of scam artists, they do and will find a person or persons to scam.  The police simply told me to tear up the letter it is happening all over the country.  I have a Mother who is 88 years old at times at home alone and vulnerable to such types , we are not worldly people.

With the various 800 numbers calling and now these sort of mailings we certainly live in scary times, where we need be very careful.

This letter I received a evident scam, its troubling that seemingly there is no way to go after these people.  First it was at times being very careful as to when I picked up the telephone,as it could be information harvesters or worse  now these sorts are doing mass mailings.

837831[/snapback]

Well, its either a scam, or the police officer is one rich guy. He probably took the letter after you left and called them. He figured he could trick you out of your millions and pretend he was you.