Ottawa at Buffalo 11/15/06

Cornerville

Flashback to November 12th 2005...Sabres lose 6-1 against the Sens in Ottawa....the Sabres fall to 8-9-1 and were in last place in the Northeast Division.

Take a look at the recap:

OTTAWA (AP) -- The Ottawa Senators made quick work of the Buffalo Sabres -- again.

Dany Heatley scored twice to extend his club-record scoring streak to 15 games in the Senators' 6-1 victory over Sabres on Saturday night.

Ottawa is 3-0 against Buffalo this season and has outscored the Sabres 21-5, including a 10-4 drubbing in Buffalo on Nov. 2. Daniel Alfredsson has five goals and five assists against Buffalo this season.

Buffalo, coming off a 5-2 home win over Toronto on Friday night, has two wins in its last nine game.

"When we implode, we really implode," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "We talked about turnovers and then we make two big ones and give them two goals. These guys can finish, so you can't afford turnovers against them."

Flash forward to today, 11/15/06, just a shade over 365 days and 80 games later (regular season) the Buffalo Sabres are an astounding 59-16-5, which would be a 123 point season. Also factor in Miller, Briere, and Dumont all missed significant time during the season, so it was not like it has always been smooth sailing on the injury front.

Plus the Sabres beat the Sens in 5 games in the EC Semis last year...and already have a 18 point lead on the Sens this year.

Man what a difference a year can make! :lol:

Flashback to November 12th 2005...Sabres lose 6-1 against the Sens in Ottawa....the Sabres fall to 8-9-1 and were in last place in the Northeast Division.

Take a look at the recap:

OTTAWA (AP) -- The Ottawa Senators made quick work of the Buffalo Sabres -- again.

Dany Heatley scored twice to extend his club-record scoring streak to 15 games in the Senators' 6-1 victory over Sabres on Saturday night.

Ottawa is 3-0 against Buffalo this season and has outscored the Sabres 21-5, including a 10-4 drubbing in Buffalo on Nov. 2. Daniel Alfredsson has five goals and five assists against Buffalo this season.

Buffalo, coming off a 5-2 home win over Toronto on Friday night, has two wins in its last nine game.

"When we implode, we really implode," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "We talked about turnovers and then we make two big ones and give them two goals. These guys can finish, so you can't afford turnovers against them."

Flash forward to today, 11/15/06, just a shade over 365 days and 80 games later (regular season) the Buffalo Sabres are an astounding 59-16-5, which would be a 123 point season. Plus the Sabres beat the Sens in 5 games in the EC Semis last year...and already have a 18 point lead on the Sens this year.

What a difference a year can make.

837825[/snapback]

That's sweet. That's also why I'm not chest-thumping too much about this season. At this point last year, we didn't deserve to be on the same sheet of ice with Ottawa, and we know how that ended.

A major difference is that the Sabres are consistently gutting out some gritty wins in close games. Ottawa and Detroit were simply blowing teams out of the water last year. In fact, I think Ottawa's record in 1-goal games was pathetic last year.

That's sweet.  That's also why I'm not chest-thumping too much about this season.  At this point last year, we didn't deserve to be on the same sheet of ice with Ottawa, and we know how that ended.

837856[/snapback]

You're definitely right, anything could happen and the 05-06 Senators are a good example. But I think this team has way more leadership, heart, and determination than that Ottawa club. Guys like Drury and Miller are flatout obsessed with winning.

I feel like this team believes it could've and would've won the Cup last year even if two of those four defensemen were healthy and this season they're systematically punishing everyone because of it.

It's a long season, yes. But I like what I see so far.

I feel like this team believes it could've and would've won the Cup last year even if two of those four defensemen were healthy and this season they're systematically punishing everyone because of it. 

837899[/snapback]

I believe you are correct. Although you'll never get any of them to admit it publically they knew that they were the best team of the final four last year.

That's sweet.  That's also why I'm not chest-thumping too much about this season.  At this point last year, we didn't deserve to be on the same sheet of ice with Ottawa, and we know how that ended.

A major difference is that the Sabres are consistently gutting out some gritty wins in close games.  Ottawa and Detroit were simply blowing teams out of the water last year.  In fact, I think Ottawa's record in 1-goal games was pathetic last year.

837856[/snapback]

Very good point and I think your approach to handling this insane start by the Sabres is the best one. It is inevitable that the Sabres will hit a wall for a few games...very doubtful this team will keep this pace up or even 75% of what they are doing right now...Ottawa was 15-2 last year at one point but their issues were Hasek got hurt and then the team had no leadership come playoff time.

Only concern I have and it is not that big now...is will the Sabres miss guys like McKee and Grier more in April-June then now??? Time will tell, I do not believe they will miss them that much...but it is a slight concern I have.

Any updates on Lydman? Miller? Max?

Very good point and I think your approach to handling this insane start by the Sabres is the best one.  It is inevitable that the Sabres will hit a wall for a few games...very doubtful this team will keep this pace up or even 75% of what they are doing right now...Ottawa was 15-2 last year at one point but their issues were Hasek got hurt and then the team had no leadership come playoff time.

Only concern I have and it is not that big now...is will the Sabres miss guys like McKee and Grier more in April-June then now???  Time will tell, I do not believe they will miss them that much...but it is a slight concern I have.

Any updates on Lydman?  Miller?  Max?

838039[/snapback]

This morning on WGR, Howard Simon had people call in to record themselves saying "Being of sound mind and body, I promise not to freak out when this team goes on a losing streak. I am reminding myself today that they are awesome and this is just a slump." A time capsule kind of thing for when the inevitable slump hits. Kinda funny.

Anyway, Miller skated this morning. From what they've said on the radio he was moving pretty good, meaning the possibility of a sports hernia is slim. I think they're just waiting until he's absolutely 100% and I don't blame them.

I heard Linday say on GR that Max is likely to return next week either against Toronto or Montreal, but could play this weekend if things go well. Lydman, I have no idea.

Anyway, Miller skated this morning.  From what they've said on the radio he was moving pretty good, meaning the possibility of a sports hernia is slim.  I think they're just waiting until he's absolutely 100% and I don't blame them.

838054[/snapback]

I'm scared to death of the sports hernia possibility. The fact that when the injury originally was reported, they said he strained a muscle 'while exercising' which sounded horribly awkward to me. And I remember them calling Dumont's and Briere's hernias 'minor strains' for a few weeks last year. Marty is adequate but is definitely not Miller. I did hear Ruff say, "We are going to wait until we're positive Ryan is 100%. And then we'll probably wait another day."

As for the playoffs last year, I'm not sure the Sabres even needed two of the four defensmen who were missing. I believe that as long as they had Tallinder, no matter which other three were out, they would've won. He was a dominating force in the playoffs, and was the best player on the ice every time he was out there. Remember how bad Lydman looked at the beginning of last year? Remember how solid he looked once he paired with Tallinder? He has looked shakey this year when he was playing with Spacek after Tallinder went down.

I watch a crap load of hockey and the Sabres are the best team in hockey right now. Including anyone in the Western Conference. I think a danger for them is peaking too soon or just burning out. Seems to happen quite a bit to teams that finish first overall. 59-16 is absolutely awsome. Excuse my ignorance but has Ruff ever been considered for coach of the year? One thing I admire about the Sabres is how they are prepared to play every game and thier work eithic is consistenly great. I can't say that about the Sharks unfortunatley. They have all kinds of talent but they certainly dont have a coach like Lindy who seems to excel at keeping his team motivated.

I watch a crap load of hockey and the Sabres are the best team in hockey right now. Including anyone in the Western Conference. I think a danger for them is peaking too soon or just burning out. Seems to happen quite a bit to teams that finish first overall. 59-16 is absolutely awsome. Excuse my ignorance but has Ruff ever been considered for coach of the year? One thing I admire about the Sabres is how they are prepared to play every game and thier work eithic is consistenly great. I can't say that about the Sharks unfortunatley. They have all kinds of talent but they certainly dont have a coach like Lindy who seems to excel at keeping his team motivated.

838247[/snapback]

He won coach of the year last year.