Trying to settle a bet

Acantha

I'm traveling right now and dont' hav my video of the comeback game, so I can't check on this:

Did Jim Kelly play in the comeback game at all, and if so how much?

Thanks!

837764[/snapback]

That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

I'm traveling right now and dont' hav my video of the comeback game, so I can't check on this:

Did Jim Kelly play in the comeback game at all, and if so how much?

Thanks!

837764[/snapback]

If you're referring to the 1993 Wild Card game against Houston (THE Comeback Game), then Kelly didn't play at all - he got hurt the week before (in Houston). Frank Reich started and played all 60 minutes.

Thanks everyone. I'm visiting my father and he swears he remembers Kelly sitting down in the 2nd quarter saying he was hurt. He's the most stubborn man in the world, and even after showing him the breakdown in Wikipedia and your responses...he says I'm still wrong.

But at least I know he knows.... :lol:

Thanks everyone.  I'm visiting my father and he swears he remembers Kelly sitting down in the 2nd quarter saying he was hurt.  He's the  most stubborn man in the world, and even after showing him the breakdown in Wikipedia and your responses...he says I'm still wrong.

But at least I know he knows....  :lol:

837775[/snapback]

The Kelly injury he remembers is from the Super Bowl that same season. Sadly there was no miracle Frank Reich comeback, as we lost 52-17.

Thanks everyone.  I'm visiting my father and he swears he remembers Kelly sitting down in the 2nd quarter saying he was hurt.  He's the  most stubborn man in the world, and even after showing him the breakdown in Wikipedia and your responses...he says I'm still wrong.

837775[/snapback]

We all know you're right, but here's further proof:

The recap from the official Bills website lists Reich as the starter.

"The two teams had faced each other a week earlier and the Oilers crushed the Bills 27-3 in the last game of the 1992 regular season. Injury was added to the insulting defeat when the Bills lost Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly with a knee injury. He would have to sit out for the Wild Card game against the Oilers paving the way for backup Reich."

NFL.com: NFL's Greatest Games -- 'The Comeback'

Oh, and here's Reich's biography, including the following passage:

"He could not have known that history would repeat itself eight years later. Frank started for the Buffalo Bills in the playoff game against the Houston Oilers, where the losing team would be eliminated from the race to the Super Bowl."

837775[/snapback]

One of my favorite all time lines (more than likely because it came after the thrill of the comeback game) was Chris Berman recapping the game and referring to

"Frank Lloyd Reich...the Architect of the Comeback..". That's good stuff, especially back in the days when there wasn't a Berman wannabe on every frigging network.