finally someone with a clue not mindlessly ...

truth on hold

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports wrote in today's rankings:

"Buffalo Bills (3-6) – With the concentration on quarterback J.P. Losman, has anyone noticed that the tight end and wide receiver spots are a mess? Lee Evans is inconsistent and Peerless Price looks like just another mediocre wideout. Come to think of it, is there anything beyond running back Willis McGahee that looks promising on this offense?"

I've been saying this for a while now. The o-line certainly has issues but I put more of the passing game's problems on the lack of productivity at the WR and TE positions. Other than the occasional open Evans, JP simply has no one else he can go too. I feel sorry for the guy with the pocket collapsing around him and the receivers covered like white on rice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aii5...=yhoo&type=lgns

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Buffalo Bills (3-6) – With the concentration on quarterback J.P. Losman, has anyone noticed that the tight end and wide receiver spots are a mess? Lee Evans is inconsistent and Peerless Price looks like just another mediocre wideout. Come to think of it, is there anything beyond running back Willis McGahee that looks promising on this offense?"

I've been saying this for a while now.  The o-line certainly has issues but I put more of the passing game's problems on the lack of productivity at the WR and TE positions.  Other than the occasional open Evans, JP simply has no one else he can go too.  I feel sorry for the guy with the pocket collapsing around him and the receivers covered like white on rice.

837389[/snapback]

ya i noticed. we need to be real active in free agency this off season...and the draft..i dont know why they signed price and reed to long contracts, i thought they would do a year or two and see what we have, i dont think they are worth the money we spent.

do we even have a tight end?

I've been saying this for a while now.  The o-line certainly has issues but I put more of the passing game's problems on the lack of productivity at the WR and TE positions.  Other than the occasional open Evans, JP simply has no one else he can go too.  I feel sorry for the guy with the pocket collapsing around him and the receivers covered like white on rice.

837389[/snapback]

Teddy Ginn in 2007

Or Offesnsive Linemen like Levi Brown in the 1st, or Josh Beekman in the 2nd.

who are top FA WR/TE prospects next season?

anyone know? deion branch sure would have looked good in a Bills uniform.

837405[/snapback]

I know an aging Tony Gonzalez will be free, i thought i heard something about Reggie Wayne, and a couple others.

I bet T.O. may be available. Either him or Parcells.

837389[/snapback]

I just don't see it.

How many sacks have been legit coverage sacks? The pocket doesn't hold up long enough for them to become coverage sacks. JPs completion % is relatively high....that implies that either he is doing a magnificent job checking down & finding the (rare)open receiver....or it means that the WRs are actually getting open. JP is throwing for half to a third what the average is.....this means that the number of catches & yardage for the WRs is bound to be at least 1/2 of what it should be if we threw the ball a reasonable amount. The TEs are blocking ever pass play now aren't they? Hard to catch a ball when you are trying to block a probowl DE.

I'm not saying we cannot improve with the WRs(TEs)....I'm pointing out that calling them a mess is simply misguided.

I just don't see it.

How many sacks have been legit coverage sacks? 

837415[/snapback]

I would say that all of the ones where Losman scrambles around for a couple seconds and gets dropped on his ass.

Let's just say the offense needs the most help. This draft we need to primarily focus on the lines and receivers. Everything else can remian at a stand still.

God Youboty, get your ass on the field.

I just don't see it.

How many sacks have been legit coverage sacks?  The pocket doesn't hold up long enough for them to become coverage sacks.  JPs completion % is relatively high....that implies that either he is doing a magnificent job checking down & finding the (rare)open receiver....or it means that the WRs are actually getting open.  JP is throwing for half to a third what the average is.....this means that the number of catches &  yardage for the WRs is bound to be at least 1/2 of what it should be if we threw the ball a reasonable amount.  The TEs are blocking ever pass play now aren't they?  Hard to catch a ball when you are trying to block a probowl DE.

I'm not saying we cannot improve with the WRs(TEs)....I'm pointing out that calling them a mess is simply misguided.

837415[/snapback]

ive seen far too many plays where JP has time and goes through his reads and not a single guy is open and then of course he gets sacked. which doesn't show up as an incomplete pass. he's been sacked more than anyone in the league, any sack where the QB had more than 4 secs to throw is a coverage sack. so a lot of those sacks are coverage sacks. dink and dunk 2 yard quick outs don't mean anything. as for the TEs ive seen Royal drop nearly every pass that's gone his way.

ive seen far too many plays where JP has time and goes through his reads and not a single guy is open and then of course he gets sacked. which doesn't show up as an incomplete pass.  he's been sacked more than anyone in the league, any sack where the QB had more than 4 secs to throw is a coverage sack. so a lot of those sacks are coverage sacks. dink and dunk 2 yard quick outs don't mean anything.  as for the TEs ive seen Royal drop nearly every pass that's gone his way.

837421[/snapback]

Yes we've had some drops....& as I said, I was not saying we don't need improvement. What I was pointing out was that JP is completing a high % of his passes & mostly to the WRs. The fact that their numbers are not higher is due to the fact that we do not pass the ball much.

SACKS!

JP holds onto the ball too long because he is inexperienced....1.5 sacks a game.

OL is terrible at pass protection....2.5 sacks a game.

RB & TE whiffing blocks....1.5 sacks a game

WRs do not get open(coverage sacks).....1.5 sacks a game(would have to be at least this to be described as a mess).

That makes 8 sacks a game....or 63 sacks.

Hang on....something must be wrong here....we only have 3.3 sacks a game(30).

I am certain that the blocking has caused the most sacks. JP has contributed with some of his own. The stats DO NOT support the theory that the WRs are a "mess". The just don't.....the only way they can is(as I said before) if JP is actually doing a great job. I'm pretty sure he isn't....therefore....considering the terrible protection....the WRs are not a mess.

The stats DO NOT support the theory that the WRs are a "mess".  The just don't.....the only way they can is(as I said before) if JP is actually doing a great job.  I'm pretty sure he isn't....therefore....considering the terrible protection....the WRs are not a mess.

837438[/snapback]

theyre throwing less and less as the season goes on because they see more and more how much it costs them in sacks, plays for little or no yards and turnovers. theyve stopped throwing because JP has no one to throw it to. you'd see his completion percentage drop a lot if he put it up over 30x a game. it's easiest to have a high completion rate when the opposing defense plays mostly run with run-blitzes and plays man on your WRs. if your WRs cant get open in single coverage they cant get open, period.

theyre throwing less and less as the season goes on because they see more and more how much it costs them in sacks, plays for little or no yards and turnovers. theyve stopped throwing because JP has no one to throw it to. you'd see his completion percentage drop a lot if he put it up over 30x a game.  it's easiest to have a high completion rate when the opposing defense plays mostly run with run-blitzes and plays man on your WRs. if your WRs cant get open in single coverage they cant get open, period.

837473[/snapback]

*sigh*

6.66 YPA not too bad at all.

Week 3 NYJ 38 attempts.....57.9 completion %

Week 4 MIN 32 attempts.....71.9 completion %

Week 6 DET 34 attempts.....61.8 completion %

Yep, you're 100% correct. It's the WRs not getting open that is causing the sacks & is a huge problem.....not the abyssmal blocking....or the young QBs inexperience.

*sigh*

Yep, you're 100% correct.  It's the WRs not getting open that is causing the sacks & is a huge problem.....not the abyssmal blocking....or the young QBs inexperience.

837500[/snapback]

Now show everyone the percentages minus Loseman's short completeions on 3rd and long. Any QB in league can have inflated numbers when the defense is giving you the short stuff.

*sigh*

Yep, you're 100% correct.  It's the WRs not getting open that is causing the sacks & is a huge problem.....not the abyssmal blocking....or the young QBs inexperience.

837500[/snapback]

please read the post. i put plenty of emphasis on the o-line and jp. i am more putting more on the WRs and TEs. what i am objecting to is many putting exclusive emphasis on the o-line. here's the original post.

"I've been saying this for a while now. The o-line certainly has issues but I put more of the passing game's problems on the lack of productivity at the WR and TE positions. Other than the occasional open Evans, JP simply has no one else he can go too. I feel sorry for the guy with the pocket collapsing around him and the receivers covered like white on rice."

The receivers are below avg., the O-line is below avg., but the QB is just plain poor right now. He could make this thing better- more efficient- but he just does not have the ability to.

Why do you guys think Mark Brunnell is getting benched? His numbers are better than JP. But when you listen to the reasoning, Brunnel is not getting the ball down the middle of the field to his playmakers,,,,he is taking the easy dump offs too often,,,,he is failing in the red zone,,,he's just not making plays. He does not have any more or less time than JP in the pocket. Just like Brunnell, JP Losman's numbers are totally flawed. Both are pretty decent between the 30 yard lines but on the critical parts of the field they cannot make enough plays.