Reality Time

Dr. Trooth

Folks need to stop harping on JP. Ain't saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread or whether or not he'll cut it in the end. But, let's get real here...

Offensive line... Bills have one, possibly two players that could be considered average or slightlty above average (Villarial, Peters) and one of them is on the wrong side of 30.

Running back... average at best... no one close to a home run threat. Period! end of story (as big a problem as the Oline)

wide receiver... Lee Evans, great number two (at least until he proves otherwise). Every other plyar at this position is either a re-tread that no other team would want (except perhaps as a #4) or , in the case of Roscoe P., unfulfilled potential (he can't even break a punt return).

Tight end... be serious. Robert Royal may be a quality #2, but he ain't going to make anyone forget about Metzalaars, McKeller, or even Reimersma. More like a poor man's Lonnie Johnson. Everett/Nuefeld? Oh my God... who are these stiffs? If the Bills want blocking from their TE... put in a tackle. If they want receiving ability get bonafide receiver in there.

FB... If Shelton disappeared tomorrow, would anyone notice? Would anyone miss him? Just another re-tread that nobody wanted... If he weren't with the Bills, he'd be out of football altogether.

So, folks, we have a pathetic offensive team put together. How JP can maintain a QB rating of 80 or better is an accomplishment altogether. Folks expecting him to perform like Kelly or Carson Palmer just don't understand football... you are better off following badmitton.

The only magic bullet (by that I mean a single player) that you could plug in and make this offense instantly better is a home run threat at RB. There's none that I'm aware of coming out of the draft this year. So, Ralph has his work cut out... he's got no marquis player and he'll have a top 5 pick... with no one of star appeal. And please, Brady Quinn... if you ask me, he's Rick Mirer with size.

There's only one way this offense can get better.... one or two players at a time... unless there are some marquis players in free agency that Ralph's willing to pay.

The last thing on JP... If there's a better QB out there right now (someone you could sure fire plug in from day one and be a significant upgrade over JP), who the hell is he... or she? Bottom line... I know of no QB that could function at a high level in this offense, given the talent they are currently surrounded by.