Fan Think

I 90

I am getting tired of the idea that the coaching staff is either "holding back" Losman or waiting for he or his offensive line "to develop". That he should be given the season to show us something. That at some point the "light will come on". Classic Fan-think.

In another thread I surmised that JP's future is not the most important thing in Marv's world. It is entirely possible that what we are seeing is THE BILLS OFFENSIVE PLAN regardless of what might transpire in the next seven games. The timelines are out of sync for for JP, his O-Line, and especially the defense to arrive at the same time.

Think of Marv (who ran a Delaware Wing T in Kansas City) hiring Dick Jauron (who ran the Bears into the ground) who hired Steve Fairchild (who as a running backs coach put Travis Henry in the Pro Bowl). I will dig up the post in which Marv talks of his 41 rushing attempts per game Kansas City days as a means to improve his teams " mentality and toughness", if anyone needs it.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a bad defense so that JP can be "turned loose" in the passing game -- we just saw two of those. What the Bills are running now just might be the offense that we will be seeing for the next couple of years as Marv shapes the personnel in ways that fans haven't even imagined.

I am getting tired of the idea that the coaching staff is either "holding back" Losman or waiting for he or his offensive line "to develop". That he should be given the season to show us something. That at some point the "light will come on". Classic Fan-think.

In another thread I surmised that JP's future is not the most important thing in Marv's world. It is entirely possible that what we are seeing is THE BILLS OFFENSIVE PLAN regardless of what might transpire in the next seven games. The timelines are out of sync for for JP, his O-Line, and especially the defense to arrive at the same time.

Think of Marv (who ran a Delaware Wing T in Kansas City) hiring Dick Jauron (who ran the Bears into the ground) who hired Steve Fairchild (who as a running backs coach put Travis Henry in the Pro Bowl). I will dig up the post in which Marv talks of his 41 rushing attempts per game Kansas City days as a means to improve his teams " mentality and toughness", if anyone needs it.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a bad defense so that JP can be "turned loose" in the passing game -- we just saw two of those. What the Bills are running now just might be the offense that we will be seeing for the next couple of years as Marv shapes the personnel in ways that fans haven't even imagined.

836347[/snapback]

Say it ain't so... The most boring uninteresting offense in the NFL about to get even worse??? Didn't Levy realize what could be done with the no huddle, K-gun???

Don't say that is the answer, but at least try and run an offense that is not the laughingstock...

Didn't Levy realize what could be done with the no huddle, K-gun???

836386[/snapback]

Losman ran a shotgun offense at Tulane -- the K-gun would be a wet dream for the boy.

Nine games this year. Any shotgun ?

So... You're saying that Marv's plan all along, and into the future, is to have the offense fail? :w00t:;)

836399[/snapback]

Not at all.

But take his words at face value. This team might be moving towards leading the league in rushing attempts, not because it has to but because it wants to. Dig up the numbers on Jauron's Bears. It COULD succeed.

If you thought Whitner was a surprise draft pick, wait until next year when they draft two or three running backs and couple of lineman from running teams. It is a possibility.

Fan think is "stay the course" but the Donahoe gewgaws (Everrett and Parrish) aren't on the fast track any more than Losman is. The future is not likely to look like what most of us expect.

Not at all.

But take his words at face value. This team might be moving towards leading the league in rushing attempts, not because it has to but because it wants to. Dig up the numbers on Jauron's Bears. It COULD succeed.

If you thought Whitner was a surprise draft pick, wait until next year when they draft two or three running backs and couple of lineman from running teams. It is a possibility.

Fan think is "stay the course" but the Donahoe gewgaws (Everrett and Parrish) aren't on the fast track any more than Losman is. The future is not likely to look like what most of us expect.

836408[/snapback]

I suspect you are right, and we will be looking at emphasizing the running game. There isn't a Jim Kelly out there right now, and Levy and Jauron know what a good solid running game can do. Once that is in place, the passing game becomes much more feasible. Right now we are running because we can't pass block. Next year we will be running because it is the main part of an offensive plan that will open up our passing game.

Not at all.

836408[/snapback]

Okay, that he is overly dedicating to the running game, kind of how he dedicated to remold the defense first last offseason and just made a few low-level plugs for the O.

Build the run game first and then get a QB as a compliment. I'm actually down with that. It's Buffalo Bills football. Need to find the right RB, and I might be mauled here but I don't think that's Willis nor do I think it's smart to invest more into him when the avg. RB's career in the NFL is less than 2 years. I'd love to get a Jerome Bettis sized back. And the plan should include getting a good FB, like the kid from Georgia Tech.

Say it ain't so...  The most boring uninteresting offense in the NFL about to get even worse???  Didn't Levy realize what could be done with the no huddle, K-gun???

Don't say that is the answer, but at least try and run an offense that is not the laughingstock...

836386[/snapback]

K-gun was awesome. Then again, we had future Hall of Famers at QB, RB, and both WR spots before Marchibroda tossed Kelly the car keys...

I'd settle for boring, IF it comes with positive results.

Once that is in place, the passing game becomes much more feasible.  Right now we are running because we can't pass block.  Next year we will be running because it is the main part of an offensive plan that will open up our passing game.

836411[/snapback]

Build the run game first and then get a QB as a compliment.

836413[/snapback]

Fan think and fan think.

When the running game becomes successful we will PASS more ? Sure, I understand the point but I fear running well will lead to more running in this grim high wire act of ball control offence.

And why can't this line pass block even marginally ? They aren't as awful as we fans think -- they run block well enough to allow the Bills to compete. It might be a question of emphasis.

Losman will be a fine Jauron quarterback as long as he can stomach 18 pass attempts a game and the abuse of the fans. No need to get anyone else.

Lori, I will share in your boredom if the thing works.

836347[/snapback]

It's nice to ignore facts to suit your POV. Marv ran wing T in KC because he was QB & WR deficient and had 3 serviceable RBs, and tinkered his lineup to match the strength. Marv didn't like the hurry up at first, but didn't insist on a slow down when they realized the talent they had.

I also didn't know that Fairchild forced St Louis to abandon the pass when he was there.

Yes, Losman ran the shotgun offense in Tulane and that offense should be an exact parallel to what his success in NFL should be.

If the goal of the Marv offense is to forget the pass forever, why not just bench Losman at the break, and give the reigns to Holcomb?

K-gun was awesome. Then again, we had future Hall of Famers at QB, RB, and both WR spots before Marchibroda tossed Kelly the car keys...

I'd settle for boring, IF it comes with positive results.

836427[/snapback]

...AND tight ends. Bills have not had a decent tight end since Metz. ;)

It's nice to ignore facts to suit your POV.  Marv ran wing T in KC because he was QB & WR deficient and had 3 serviceable RBs, and tinkered his lineup to match the strength.

836572[/snapback]

Now, now, I don't ignore facts to suit my POV, I select them.

Running the Wing T goes way beyond tinkering, it is truly outside of the box thinking. I think Marv grooves on the intellectual challenge of football and accepting the novelty of the K Gun following his stint in KC is not out of character if you can accept the point. Going back to the future with Jauron (as opposed to, say, Sherman or Martz) is the same sort of clever.

Fairchild and the emergence of Stephen Jackson would be a reach ?

Losman could go 17 for 30, 220 this week. Or not get anywhere near those totals until Week 10 of next year. If they continue to play 3 and half hour, ten possession, 50 play games his numbers will suffer no matter how well he plays.

Running the Wing T goes way beyond tinkering, it is truly outside of the box thinking. I think Marv grooves on the intellectual challenge of football and accepting the novelty of the K Gun following his stint in KC is not out of character if you can accept the point. Going back to the future with Jauron (as opposed to, say, Sherman or Martz) is the same sort of clever.

Losman could go 17 for 30, 220 this week. Or not get anywhere near those totals until Week 10 of next year. If they continue to play 3 and half hour, ten possession, 50 play games his numbers will suffer no matter how well he plays.

This is far and away one of the most interesting and thoughtful posts presented in a while and was one of the best READS in a long time.  Thank you for your plausible, and IMO, hopeful insight.  I think that JP's numbers against the Jets all but make your point for you. 

If Marv wants to win with defense (I think the evidence is clear), and furthermore, if he wants to win with a defense anchored by speed and agression, the most logical offensive gameplan would be to keep the ball as long as possible, giving the defense a nice rest/play ratio.

Did anyone notice how aggresive the defense looked on Sunday?  Those two fumbles were not flukes, they were inevitable.  On just about every tackle a defender had an arm in trying to rip the ball.  The incessant running enabled that perpetual tenacity...they just crapped the bed on the last drive...

Regardless, here's to low scoring, defensive games, which feature loads of running with OR WITHOUT Willis McGahee!

836624[/snapback]

Is there any reason to exclude Montreal Allouettes from Marv-ball? Didn't his QB win offensive MVP, once or twice? Hard to do that handing the ball off.

836624[/snapback]

Is that why Rams were in the top 5 passing rankings and in the bottom 5 in rushing rankings in each of Fairchild's 3 years as St Louis OC?

Fan think and fan think.

836557[/snapback]

Fan think = paying money to go to games and to purchase merchandise. Which translates into win now, were tired of losing seasons!!

Bills front office = getting paid and making money on sell outs and merchandise. Which translates into being patient and trying to build a team slowly at the cost of this and probably next season.

Bills player think = would be nice if we were winning, but still making ridiculous money for playing a game.

Is there any reason to exclude Montreal Allouettes from Marv-ball?  Didn't his QB win offensive MVP, once or twice?  Hard to do that handing the ball off.

Is that why Rams were in the top 5 passing rankings and in the bottom 5 in rushing rankings in each of Fairchild's 3 years as St Louis OC?

837688[/snapback]

If Fairchild only had that offensive tallent to work with here! That would truely be awesome! Hopefully this off season this team can move in that direction! :lol: