So it's begun...

Tux of Borg

Entrepreneur or scumbag?

"A truck rolls up, one of those U-Haul type trucks, and seriously, 50 people rolled out, and he says they got them from the homeless shelter," Rosatti said.

While WRAL was there, the truck used to transport the men from the homeless shelter returned with food for the men. Abdul Salem said he and a friend came up with the idea. They said they plan to pay the men $100 a day to stand in line for a ticket to purchase a PS3 unit that costs around $600.

"It's got to be the eBay incentive," Salem said.

The eBay incentive is all about money. The going price on the site for a PS3 unit is approaching $2,000. Salem called his arrangement with the men from Raleigh's homeless community a win/win proposition.

"We thought we could lend them a hand, throw them a few bucks, and at the same time make a little something off of it," he said.

OK....will someone with more knowledge of this stuff explain some things to me?

- Right now we have a playstation II....have had it for years and it has done ok....never really used it to play movies just games.....kids have liked it (I have a 14 and 11 year old)

- I heard that the Playstation III was having problems and that it didn't play old games and that it was going to cost like a zillion dollars and you cant get it......so I went ahead and bought a XBOX 360 bundle from Costco....paid like 400 dollars for a bundle that included the XBOX with a hard drive....two controllers...some other stuff and a game.  Basically the whole setup

Was this a good move....how much better is XBOX360 then what I had.....and is the Playstation III really going to be better as it doesn't play the old games?

Also got the "Gears of War" game....as some younster at Circuit City said it was a must for XBOX 360 and nobody would have it as we got closer to Christmas.

Help!

838058[/snapback]

The only real difference between the XBOX 360 and PS3 is that the PS3 also plays blu-ray DVDs (and therefore costs way more) and has more hype. They're going to have a lot of the same games and the graphics will be almost identical.

Also, now that all video games are sold as discs (not cartridges), it seems unlikely that there will ever be a time when a hit game sells out and you just can't get one. It's much easier to manufacture the discs. The old days when you couldn't get your hands on Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 when they came out are long gone.

Entrepreneur or scumbag?

839169[/snapback]

Both. And I can't blame him.

I can't believe people are dumb enough to shell out $2000 for a PS3 on eBay in order to get one in time for Christmas. There really aren't any amazing games for it when it launches.

It'll be a great system to have in a year when there are a ton of games available but not so much now.

Both.  And I can't blame him.

I can't believe people are dumb enough to shell out $2000 for a PS3 on eBay in order to get one in time for Christmas.  There really aren't any amazing games for it when it launches.

It'll be a great system to have in a year when there are a ton of games available but not so much now.

839184[/snapback]

No... the 360 is a great system.

No... the 360 is a great system.

839626[/snapback]

It probably is. Did I imply it wasn't?

In any event, Nintendo Wii launches with a new Zelda game. Now that's something I could see people demanding to own on day 1.

Camping out for PS3 so you can play the same Madden 07 that's already been available for months for 360, PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube? Not so much.

OK....will someone with more knowledge of this stuff explain some things to me?

- Right now we have a playstation II....have had it for years and it has done ok....never really used it to play movies just games.....kids have liked it (I have a 14 and 11 year old)

- I heard that the Playstation III was having problems and that it didn't play old games and that it was going to cost like a zillion dollars and you cant get it......so I went ahead and bought a XBOX 360 bundle from Costco....paid like 400 dollars for a bundle that included the XBOX with a hard drive....two controllers...some other stuff and a game.  Basically the whole setup

Was this a good move....how much better is XBOX360 then what I had.....and is the Playstation III really going to be better as it doesn't play the old games?

Also got the "Gears of War" game....as some younster at Circuit City said it was a must for XBOX 360 and nobody would have it as we got closer to Christmas.

Help!

838058[/snapback]

Yeah, its pretty safe to say that you made a good decision, especially if you have a high-def TV.

If you do, and you make sure everything is hooked up right, you will be amazed when you see Gears of War in action. Best looking video game ever.

There are a couple of things to know when hooking a 360 to an HD set.

1. Make sure the switch on the video cable is set to HD.

2. Make sure you adjust the video settings in the menu to 720p or 1080i.

edit: I went to Best Buy last night. There had to be 40 people camped outside. If I'm not mistaken, the store will be getting less than 20 units. Should be some unhappy campers (pun intended) in about 48 minutes.... hahahahahahahaha!!!! :w00t::lol::P

For grins we peeked in on the raptor frenzy for PS3's on eBay last night. Highest price I saw was $3500, but may of the bids were from people who had never bought or sold anything on eBay. I would be interested in how many winning bidders disappeared after the auction.

Highest bid I saw with a person with a 100% rating and over 50 transactions was $2800.

It was funny, while also visiting with friends, to hit the refresh key on the PC and watch a bid jump $500 or more in the last 30 seconds.

These PS3s were all from pre-sales. What they had was a receipt showng they put a payment down on one, a promise to pick it up and ship it today, and a disclaimer that if something went wrong (the store did not keep their end of the deal) the winning bidder would have their money promptly refunded. :w00t:

Happy Holidays you greedy bastids!

Yeah, its pretty safe to say that you made a good decision, especially if you have a high-def TV.

If you do, and you make sure everything is hooked up right, you will be amazed when you see Gears of War in action. Best looking video game ever.

There are a couple of things to know when hooking a 360 to an HD set.

1. Make sure the switch on the video cable is set to HD.

2. Make sure you adjust the video settings in the menu to 720p or 1080i.

edit: I went to Best Buy last night. There had to be 40 people camped outside. If I'm not mistaken, the store will be getting less than 20 units. Should be some unhappy campers (pun intended) in about 48 minutes.... hahahahahahahaha!!!!  :w00t:  :lol:  :P

839711[/snapback]

Agreed. I bought a 360 a couple months ago, and it's awesome (and pretty cheap, relatively speaking).

Be sure to add your Gamertag to this list:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=52601

My question is, how much more advanced can these game systems get?

If they offered one with virtual sex with Angelina Jolie, most of the guys here would be all over it.

836353[/snapback]

On Adam Carolla's radio show yesterday, thay had Ron Jeremey go out and offered a free trip to the Bunny Ranch for the first person to get out of line. There were no takers. :lol:

On Adam Carolla's radio show yesterday, thay had Ron Jeremey go out and offered a free trip to the Bunny Ranch for the first person to get  out of line. There were no takers. :lol:

839947[/snapback]

Well, with the profit they can make a couple trips if they want.

On Adam Carolla's radio show yesterday, thay had Ron Jeremey go out and offered a free trip to the Bunny Ranch for the first person to get  out of line. There were no takers. :lol:

839947[/snapback]

Hmmmm...PS3 or a burning sensation when you pee........

I think they made the right choice.

It probably is.  Did I imply it wasn't?

In any event, Nintendo Wii launches with a new Zelda game.  Now that's something I could see people demanding to own on day 1. 

Camping out for PS3 so you can play the same Madden 07 that's already been available for months for 360, PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube?  Not so much.

839634[/snapback]

I misread what you said. I read it as that there will be a great system in a year, not it will be a great system in a year.