This just in from Chris Brown

Reed83HOF

from bb.com...

LOSMAN'S SITUATION: A couple of weeks ago I stated my opinion as to why J.P. Losman's development was taking more time than some people wanted. I felt that because J.P. was allowed to run around and make plays with his legs in college at Tulane, he never had to learn the art of reading defenses quickly and make decisions with the football. As a result he's forced to learn it now at a much higher level. I agree with the Bills offensive staff that the best way to develop that skill is to keep him in the pocket and read what's going on downfield instead of taking off.

However, the pass protection has become so suspect of late, that I don't know truly how much he's getting in terms of learning how to read defenses. There's no time to read defenses back there. He had 17 dropbacks Sunday and was sacked four times, and hurried on several others. That's almost once every four dropbacks he's getting dropped. Again even though I agree with the staff's approach in developing him as a true NFL quarterback, I'm starting to think the inconsistent pass protection is dramatically hindering that development.

I asked coach Jauron what he thought about whether he thought J.P.'s development was being hindered by the pass protection. Here is his response.

“We’re not happy with our performance," Jauron said. "We struggled in protection. That has a great effect on your quarterback whoever it is. J.P. is getting better and he performed pretty well. Again yesterday we had no turnovers offensively. That was a factor in keeping us in the ballgame. We have to continue to find the things that we can do well and do those things within our scheme, while we’re getting this offensive line together after the moves and developing. J.P. is part of some of the problems that we have, but he’s certainly not the only person. And I don’t think we’ve had a whole lot of luck. It seems like people take turns and the mistakes hurt us. The long and short of it is I do believe J.P. is developing. I do believe that he’s going to be a really good quarterback in this league and we’ve got to get him help. We’ve got to get him more help.”

I followed up and asked specifically if the pass protection is consistent enough for him to read defenses in the pocket and develop and he had this response.

“I really believe whatever happens you develop from it," Jauron said. "You learn something every day and on every play hopefully that advances your progress. He’s working at it. He’s done a good job.”

He was also asked if they might look at rolling Losman out more and allow him to make plays on the move.

“The play action, the bootlegs, we do have some sprint outs and you’ve seen it," Jauron said. "We could do it more. The nature of the game was a close football game and we tried to stay within our game plan and run the ball effectively and keep it away from them. When we threw the ball we knew their pass rush had tremendous speed. We wanted to get the ball up quick and out of his hands quick and when we didn’t we paid for it.”

"The play action, the bootlegs, we do have some sprint outs and you’ve seen it," Jauron said. "We could do it more."

835807[/snapback]

I said this in another thread. The execution of those plays so far has been ugly. It seems like every time they run a bootleg, JP turns and is instantly confronted by a pass rusher coming from the side he's trying to roll to. If we don't learn to execute those plays any better, then the less we call them the better off we'll be.

I said this in another thread. The execution of those plays so far has been ugly. It seems like every time they run a bootleg, JP turns and is instantly confronted by a pass rusher coming from the side he's trying to roll to. If we don't learn to execute those plays any better, then the less we call them the better off we'll be.

835817[/snapback]

But... Yesterday, it would have worked... :blink::doh:

Go figure!

The one time we get the D biting... The Bills' brain trust comes up gun shy...

J.P. needs to pull a McMahon (like he used to do with Ditka) and just do it?

I followed up and asked specifically if the pass protection is consistent enough for him to read defenses in the pocket and develop and he had this response.

“I really believe whatever happens you develop from it," Jauron said. "You learn something every day and on every play hopefully that advances your progress. He’s working at it. He’s done a good job.”

I read that as a definite no.

“We’re not happy with our performance," Jauron said. "We struggled in protection. That has a great effect on your quarterback whoever it is. J.P. is getting better and he performed pretty well. Again yesterday we had no turnovers offensively. That was a factor in keeping us in the ballgame. We have to continue to find the things that we can do well and do those things within our scheme, while we’re getting this offensive line together after the moves and developing. J.P. is part of some of the problems that we have, but he’s certainly not the only person. And I don’t think we’ve had a whole lot of luck. It seems like people take turns and the mistakes hurt us. The long and short of it is I do believe J.P. is developing. I do believe that he’s going to be a really good quarterback in this league and we’ve got to get him help. We’ve got to get him more help.”

835807[/snapback]

This dude is really smart. I wish he posted here.

You really have to be careful what you say on this board regarding JP...it's either you love him or hate him...god forbid u say he needs to work on something all the lovers say stop ripping on him...if you say one thiong positive all the haters say...he sucks...I'm sick of it...you can pull for the guys and state what he needs to work on without getting slammed...

I like the guy and think he has a lot of ability that could make him a good QB with a decent line and time to develop under a good line. Earlier today I was saying that when I was watching the game, I really focused on him; most other games I look at the Line and WRs. There are a few areas JP needs to work on and some of them are both symptoms of this OL and from his non- development in college...he locks on to his receivers...he can't move in the pocket...there are times he can side step the rush, it's not a total break down all the time...

I agree with Brown's assesment that with a crappy line, he isn't going to learn to read Defenses that well, or as much as the coaches may hope...the kid wants to win, he wants to play better, he wants to step-up...they do need to open things up a bit and let him play his game...they can keep him in the pocket and work on learning to red defensive schemes and learning footwork within the pocket once they get some better OL talent....

If they keep things the way the are, the kid is gonna flop - the fans will turn on him, you already hear some discontent, players may, he is gonna get tossed around so much, that he will have a hard time improving, all of those bad habits from a not so good OL will become much harder to break...One thing they also need to be careful of is that the overall talent of the team goes on the up swing and JP is still lacking some tools and needs to develop necessary skills...that will not be good...

from bb.com...

LOSMAN'S SITUATION: A couple of weeks ago I stated my opinion as to why J.P. Losman's development was taking more time than some people wanted. I felt that because J.P. was allowed to run around and make plays with his legs in college at Tulane, he never had to learn the art of reading defenses quickly and make decisions with the football. As a result he's forced to learn it now at a much higher level. I agree with the Bills offensive staff that the best way to develop that skill is to keep him in the pocket and read what's going on downfield instead of taking off.

However, the pass protection has become so suspect of late, that I don't know truly how much he's getting in terms of learning how to read defenses. There's no time to read defenses back there. He had 17 dropbacks Sunday and was sacked four times, and hurried on several others. That's almost once every four dropbacks he's getting dropped. Again even though I agree with the staff's approach in developing him as a true NFL quarterback, I'm starting to think the inconsistent pass protection is dramatically hindering that development.

I asked coach Jauron what he thought about whether he thought J.P.'s development was being hindered by the pass protection. Here is his response.

He was also asked if they might look at rolling Losman out more and allow him to make plays on the move.

“The play action, the bootlegs, we do have some sprint outs and you’ve seen it," Jauron said. "We could do it more. The nature of the game was a close football game and we tried to stay within our game plan and run the ball effectively and keep it away from them. When we threw the ball we knew their pass rush had tremendous speed. We wanted to get the ball up quick and out of his hands quick and when we didn’t we paid for it.”

835807[/snapback]

This pretty much says it all. Straight from the horses mouth. :doh:

The big positive JP has going for him is that when he has time and there is an open WR, he is hitting them more consistently than last year in which he often missed wide open WR short and deep. Yeah I know his haters will point to a few open players he has missed but you can say that about any QB. I just wonder what he could do if he better blocking and more receivng threats besides Evans. I can tell you this: Eli might get more hype and more production playing on a better team but JP is way more accurate than Eli and doesn't miss half as many open WR!

The big positive JP has going for him ...

836042[/snapback]

The big positive JP has going for him is that unqualified support he gets from his coach. It is up to him to make that not seem like crazy talk (as soon as possible). I am not sure that his team likes to hear about how "we've got to get him help... we've got to get him more help". Unfortunate choice of words.

The big positive JP has going for him is that unqualified support he gets from his coach. It is up to him to make that not seem like crazy talk (as soon as possible). I am not sure that his team likes to hear about how "we've got to get him help... we've got to get him more help". Unfortunate choice of words.

Based on the way it's been playing lately, the offensive line doesn't have the right to take offense to any choice of words.

835817[/snapback]

Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh...............it's never the line's fault. :D

It's funny how we have a QB carousel on this team and yet nothing seems to change. When will it be the line's fault? When we trade for Vick and find even he can't evade the pass rush with his legs? :doh:

Pass blocking has been a joke on this team for far too long.

I e-mailed CB last night with this question, i.e. whether keeping him in the pocket and making him a sitting duck was helping him learn to read defenses.  Good to hear that he went to Jauron and told him that idea sucked.

835987[/snapback]

So you're in favor of "unleashing" JP and turns into Michael Vick? That guy is a veteran and still can't learn how to be a QB. We don't need a glorified RB under center with a strong arm. That won't take you places you want to go.

So you're in favor of "unleashing" JP and turns into Michael Vick?  That guy is a veteran and still can't learn how to be a QB.  We don't need a glorified RB under center with a strong arm.  That won't take you places you want to go.

I'm saying, don't TELL him to stay in the pocket. Let him move around. Run for first downs. Roll-out. Having a guy that moves around puts a lot more strain on a defense.