Bills #1 Need?

truth on hold

Teams need to be built from the inside out, Tom Donahue wanted to sell tickets so he made crazy moves to like Bledsoe and Mcgahee to peak our interest which he did for a while, However he brought in Bargain basement lineman along with a huge bust Mike Williams, games are one in the trenches, its going to take some time to fix all this and get a solid foundation

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, tell us, how has this strategy worked for the Dey-twaa Lions?

Three years, three picks in the high 1st.... And the only reason Matt Millen still has a job must be compromising photos of the entire Ford family.

832405[/snapback]

And picking 1st round offensive or defensive lineman isn't a guarantee either (ex M. Wiliams) . I thnk Calvin Johnson from GA Tech would look good in a Bills uniform but he will be just as much a crapshoot as any other player or position. You don't draft strictly by need!

And picking 1st round offensive or defensive lineman isn't a guarantee either (ex M. Wiliams) . I thnk Calvin Johnson from GA Tech would look good in a Bills uniform but he will be just as much a crapshoot as any other player or position. You don't draft strictly by need!

832490[/snapback]

nothing is a gaurantee in the draft but if you have a better chance if you pick the right guy and picking Williams was a mistake from the begining, not that McKinnie is Ogden or Pace but he was the better prospect and should have been the pick...he would look pretty good playing LT for the Bills right now

I can't buy a big physical receiver as a number one need, although I'd say a very high quality tight end is probably near the top of the list. If this is what you mean by a big physical receiver, I'd tend to agree it is important. However our number one -A needs are more along the offensive line, defensive tackle areas.

Bills have no wideout that has a physical or size advantage against defensive backs.  It's the #1 reason Losman holds on to the ball so long and can't find anyone open; no one is open!  ;)

Case is point: Saints rookie Marques Colston was largely unheralded and drafted in the 7th round.  But at 6-4 231 his obvious size advantage is helping to run away with rookie of year honors as he is leading the league w/ 7 TDs and he's only 50 yards short of leading the league in yards too.  Please Marv wise-up: smaller high-motor, high-character smurfs can only get you so far these days.  You need a guy like Colston, Plaxico, Owens and others whose size alone gives them an unfair advantage of catching every ball throw their way, whether they look open or not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8001/

832209[/snapback]

number ONE need??? LOL please

you should stop watching football if you think the Bills #1 need is WR

832248[/snapback]

Amen.

Sometimes I'm stunned into a comatose state by such statements.

WR?

You have got to be kidding, right?

OL, OL, OL, OL, DL, DL, DL

in that order!!!!

Amen.

Sometimes I'm stunned into a comatose state by such statements.

WR?

You have got to be kidding, right?

OL, OL, OL, OL, DL, DL, DL

in that order!!!!

832593[/snapback]

I don't think we can be sure yet if we need 4 new OL starters. We don't really know how the shifted line is going to hold up the rest of the way.

Depending on how they do is who we'll need.

We also don't know about McCargo and how he's going to do either.

832490[/snapback]

Look how good da raiders R. Gallery is doing ;) There are so many 1st round bust......You just never know. So far I believe Marv and company have done well in choosing tallent........You have to choose who is the best prospect availible at "one" of the positions of need is availible. The WR......IMHO is at the bottom of that list.

Let us repeat this again./....This bills offense will not go anywhere without a good OL...Until they fix that problem, it is going to be a problem...

If you have  a good line, then you can do many things....If you have small WRs then you can do the hitch and run passes, or put them in the slot and get YAC..

If you a physical WR then you can let them beat double coverage and outjump CBs to pull down the pass....But to do any of those, you need a good OL.

832211[/snapback]

Every year since Jim hung it up. We all admitt that offensive line is the biggest weakness on this team but sure enough fans, media, and coaches all start to pretend other needs are more important. We can't ignore it any longer can we? Please we have many holes but we have to start on the o-line.

Look how good da raiders R. Gallery is doing ;)  There are so many 1st round bust......You just never know.  So far I believe Marv and company  have done well in choosing tallent........You have to choose who is the best prospect availible at "one" of the positions of need is availible.  The WR......IMHO is at the bottom of that list.

832639[/snapback]

Yep....& look how it's turning out for that big/talented/fast/dominant WR Randy Moss.

Look how good da raiders R. Gallery is doing ;)  There are so many 1st round bust......You just never know.  So far I believe Marv and company  have done well in choosing tallent........You have to choose who is the best prospect availible at "one" of the positions of need is availible.  The WR......IMHO is at the bottom of that list.

832639[/snapback]

The best draft strategy is to pick the best player available unless it is a QB and you already have a young one who is still developing. Other than QB and OL, any other position can have multiple players that can be subsititued and swapped out. O-Line seems to be a definite need but it is a gamble as well. That's why I'm at least hoping Peters and Gandy can be a solid combo for the next 2-3 years (that's if we can re-sign Gandy cheap!). I also hope Pennington can be a steal as well for then we can focus in the draft on getting replacements for Clemens and Fletcher or hopefully a big fast WR (hopefully Calvin Johnson!) If you draft an O-lineman 1st round he has to come in and pay dividends and be a starter from day one. If he doesn't then he will be a bust and not worth the money. Other positions such as WR, RB, DL,DB etc can be eased in and given time to develop.

Two words: Calvin Johnson.

And the way our schedule looks and the amount of games will end up winning, he may be available in the draft.

Well, maybe not. He is top 3 in almost every draft board.

832305[/snapback]

calvin johnson would be amazing. he's even bigger and a lot more heralded than saints rookie WR Marques Colston. colston is tearing up the league and a shoo-in for rookie of the year. who would have thought if there was a rookie of the year in new orleans it wouldn't be reggie bush?

I agree with you and I've been saying it since last year. A physical and tall receiver is needed to compliment Evans. A tight end that scares other teams would help as well.

While I agree about the lack of offensive line talent on the Bills, the fact is that there is rarely anyone wide open for our QB's to throw to. Period.

Bills have no wideout that has a physical or size advantage against defensive backs.  It's the #1 reason Losman holds on to the ball so long and can't find anyone open; no one is open!  ;)

Case is point: Saints rookie Marques Colston was largely unheralded and drafted in the 7th round.  But at 6-4 231 his obvious size advantage is helping to run away with rookie of year honors as he is leading the league w/ 7 TDs and he's only 50 yards short of leading the league in yards too.  Please Marv wise-up: smaller high-motor, high-character smurfs can only get you so far these days.  You need a guy like Colston, Plaxico, Owens and others whose size alone gives them an unfair advantage of catching every ball throw their way, whether they look open or not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8001/

832209[/snapback]

well, the draft is is coming up and there is some talent in this draft. problem is we need to keep away from looking for a steal and be agresive and go after a good one like notre dame's samarja or ohio states main go to guy.pick someone that can perform verses some one who can beat no name school and is always a steal..../...project.

quarter back would be nice maybe that might push j.p. like they did with brees in san deigo... and spend the next 3 rounds getting key players not projects....im tired of hearing how they might be in the future,,we need talent now...

well, the draft is is coming up and there is some talent in this draft. problem is we need to keep away from looking for a steal and be agresive and go after a good one like notre dame's samarja or ohio states  main go to guy.pick someone that can perform verses some one who can beat no name school and is always a  steal..../...project.

quarter back would be nice maybe that might push j.p. like they did with brees in san deigo... and spend the next 3 rounds getting key players not projects....im tired of hearing how they might be in the future,,we need talent now...

832772[/snapback]

Ummm....sorry to be the one to break it to you but there is virtually no guarantee on draft picks for them to perform right away......Whitner is perhaps a good example of one of the ones that does perform early....most either never perform....or you wait for their 3rd(4th) years for it to happen.