I would like to pick up a last gen gaming system

SDS

I just want a gaming system for me and the boy. I don't do the fancy stuff and I don't care about the latest games. I would be happy playing Spy Hunter or Ms. Pacman for some family fun with the kids.

I was thinking a PS2 would be the way to go, since I could free up my DVD player and move that to my bedroom. What would be a reasonable PS2 bundle to get? Controller types, number, accessories, etc...

I'm also open to get a GameCube, but I don't think that plays DVD's, so it won't be able to pull double duty for me.

You can pick up a PS2 now for less than 150 brand new, but if you look around, especially after the PS3 comes out next week, you could probably pick up a decent used system with peripherals and games for that. Definately make sure whatever bundle you get has at least 2 controllers and a memory card.

You're right Gamecube doesnt play DVD's and I always thought the controller for it was a bit complicated.

Xbox is a bit better machine than the PS2, but with the PS2 you also can play all the PS1 games which makes the game library huge in comparison.

Heck, if I can find enough scratch and get lucky enough to pick up a ps3, I got a less than 1 year old slim PS2 I'd be willing to part with for next to nothing.

You can't go wrong with a PS2. I just saw an advertisement for a brand new one for $129.99 (think it was Circuit City). I don't know what the bundles are like but there are going to be some killer deals this month and next with the PS3 coming out.

PS2 definitely has the best selection of games. Gamecube had some really incredible games but overall there weren't a ton of options.

Also, the new Nintendo Wii is only going to cost $250 (little more than $100 more than a new PS2) and features motion sensitive controllers (e.g. you swing the controller like a baseball bat and your baseball player would swing). That sounds awesome but it's going to be a pain to get one in time for Christmas this year. Also, Eric Cartman froze himself in the last two episodes of South Park because he couldn't wait until the Wii came out.

I wouldn't buy used.  Sony's hardware with the PS2 likes to crap out after a while in my experience.  I've gone through a couple PS2s, and my friend has gone through a few himself.

832008[/snapback]

You got a point there blue...the old fat PS2s are known for crapping out...havent had a problem with the slim one yet.

Although it doesn't play DVD's, Game Cube seems to have more "Family Friendly" Games. PS2 and X-Box have them too, but they also have alot of other options. X-Box plays DVD's too if I'm not mistaken, but you have to get the remote for it

The only thing I don't like about X-Box is that it is pretty much just a Microsoft Computer that is just for gaming. You can adapt the controlers to be used on Desktop computers. I figure I might as well spend theat money that I would spend on the X-Box on a computer system that can also do so much more.

Personnally I have had both PS1 and PS2 and I like them alot. I like the PS2 controller so much better then the X-Box's