NASA's highly sophisticated Shuttle computers

Rubes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061109/ap_on_...e/space_shuttle

NASA wants Discovery back on the ground by Dec. 31 because of concerns that shuttle computers aren't designed to make the change from the 365th day of the old year to the first day of the new year while in flight.

"We've just never had the computers up and going when we've transitioned from one year to another," said Discovery astronaut Joan Higginbotham. "We're not really sure how they're going to operate."

My goodness.

:doh:

Yeah.  They're state-of-the-art early 70's technology.  An IPod has far more memory and processing power than the shuttle. 

This is not surprising in the least.

830778[/snapback]

Not at all surprising. Processing speed and memory adequate for the task, reliable, and spot-on software.

The manual for an old Spectrum Holobyte Co. DOS text and DOS graphics simulator, "Orbiter", took pains to point that out.

Yeah.  They're state-of-the-art early 70's technology.  An IPod has far more memory and processing power than the shuttle. 

830778[/snapback]

Thats not true....the space shuttle's computer systems have been upgraded as time goes on.

However, being a former-ipod-current-white-paperweight owner myself, I wouldn't trust the technology in an ipod for one minute to get me into space. There is a big difference between commodity hardware and mission-critical hardware/software. The latter has far, far more quality control and is much harder and more expensive to produce. Off the shelf solutions would never get anyone into space. "old" technology to NASA is "proven" technology, and they aren't going to switch to some x86 processor because it can chug though 40x the instructions per second, all while consuming 10x the power and running so hot that the shuttle's head shield can't even handle it.

NASA knows what it is doing, they are just taking every necessary precaution here, because people's lives depend on it.

Thats not true....the space shuttle's computer systems have been upgraded as time goes on.

However, being a former-ipod-current-white-paperweight owner myself, I wouldn't trust the technology in an ipod for one minute to get me into space.  There is a big difference between commodity hardware and mission-critical hardware/software.  The latter has far, far more quality control and is much harder and more expensive to produce.  Off the shelf solutions would never get anyone into space.  "old" technology to NASA is "proven" technology, and they aren't going to switch to some x86 processor because it can chug though 40x the instructions per second, all while consuming 10x the power and running so hot that the shuttle's head shield can't even handle it.

NASA knows what it is doing, they are just taking every necessary precaution here, because people's lives depend on it.

830836[/snapback]

Yes. And no.

Shuttles routinely go through maintenance to upgrade hardware and software. That is where Endeavor is right now, in fact.

While they no longer have the old school IBMs with the computing power of a modern calculator, it really doesn't need as much power as one would think. For example, 99% of the launch and 90% of the landing is automated from mission control. The shuttle astronauts flip switches and monitor thier progress, as if they could actually do anything should an emergency arrive. Mission control is flying the bird...

However, being a former-ipod-current-white-paperweight owner myself, I wouldn't trust the technology in an ipod for one minute to get me into space.  There is a big difference between commodity hardware and mission-critical hardware/software.  The latter has far, far more quality control and is much harder and more expensive to produce.  Off the shelf solutions would never get anyone into space.  "old" technology to NASA is "proven" technology, and they aren't going to switch to some x86 processor because it can chug though 40x the instructions per second, all while consuming 10x the power and running so hot that the shuttle's head shield can't even handle it.

830836[/snapback]

I wouldn't want an Windows machine running the shuttle. What if you got a blue screen while descending?

830778[/snapback]

I wouldnt recommend iPod technology for the shuttle. The last thing they need is to hit the wrong button, and automatically shuffle the re-entry sequence.

I wouldn't want an Windows machine running the shuttle. What if you got a blue screen while descending?

830952[/snapback]

They really shouldn't be surfing the internet while descending anyway. They should be at the steering wheel flying the plane. They can wait until they get home and use a computer then. :rolleyes:

We have become so indulgent as a society that these guys can't go to space without a computer?