Genesis regroups

pdh1

I would rather have the 5 person line up with Peter Gabriel, but this will still be cool to see.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/0...n.ap/index.html

828926[/snapback]

The Collins era was good for about two years post-Gabriel. After that it's a precipitous drop-off into really cheesy 80s pop that's basically the Phil Collins solo career in everything but name.

Gabriel's stuff was so much more interesting musically and lyrically.

You know... I used to think the same thing about Collins basically ruining Genesis music and turning it into his pop type music.

Then I gave Mike Rutherfords' and Tony Banks' solo stuff a listen and realized that they ALL sounded like cheesy pop stuff.

They were great up until ABACAB but then trailed off.

The Collins era was good for about two years post-Gabriel.  After that it's a precipitous drop-off into really cheesy 80s pop that's basically the Phil Collins solo career in everything but name.

Gabriel's stuff was so much more interesting musically and lyrically.

828939[/snapback]

You know... I used to think the same thing about Collins basically ruining Genesis music and turning it into his pop type music.

Then I gave Mike Rutherfords' and Tony Banks' solo stuff a listen and realized that they ALL sounded like cheesy pop stuff.

828944[/snapback]

The first two solo albums by them were great, very progressive.

Rutherfords' "smallcreep's day" had a 20 minute epic like "supper's ready".

Banks' "a curious feeling" was a concept album, like "The Lamb".

But yeah after that their solo stuff got to be too poppy.

Though Bank's last "rock-pop" project ( he writes classic music now), "Strickly Inc" has a great 18-minute song called "An Island in The Darkness", that sounds like it could have come from "Duke" or "A Trick of the Tail"

828944[/snapback]

This quote makes me hopeful about this tour:

Banks said the tour would give fans the chance to hear a side of the band that went beyond their hits.

"Genesis has another side to it, a more complex area of music," he said.

"One side gets slightly more attention than the other. We are trying to reacquaint people. Genesis is not particularly a group mentioned very much these days and we want to remind people we did do a lot of things."