Someone from the U shot and killed

Corp000085

its under the "breaking news" banner on espn.com. It's sad that some college kid gets shot, but this case, no matter the details, strengthens the case that the university of miami is a breeding ground for thug life.

edit: his name was Bryan Pata... RIP kid

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is truly offensive.  The poor kid gets shot and killed, and you take a shot at UM and, by implication, Bryan Pata.

829050[/snapback]

Maybe if this was the first implication of thugism on that team people may have more sympathy. But the fact of the matter is that this is not the first case, Coaker has run the program into the ground, and mainly is recruiting thugs to fill out his roster.

I have sympathy for the kid, but chances are he was not completely innocent in this matter.

Maybe if this was the first implication of thugism on that team people may have more sympathy. But the fact of the matter is that this is not the first case, Coaker has run the program into the ground, and mainly is recruiting thugs to fill out his roster.

I have sympathy for the kid, but chances are he was not completely innocent in this matter.

829053[/snapback]

Let me remind you -- Bryan Pata was the one that was shot and killed.

829053[/snapback]

I'm sure this happen because he was UM football player and not because Miami is one of the most violent areas of the country. ;)

No offense to you but it's hilarious for people who live in 'burbs or safe neighborhoods to criticize those who come from the inner city. He was a 22 year old who was in college (regardless of what you think of Miami as a school) and few months from doing what everyone who goes to college hopes to do, get a job. Plus, his job would provide him the opportunity so that his children won't have to grow up in a similar type of situation.

I don't know if he was completely innocent but there was no record of him being involved in any criminal activity. Would it matter if he played for Miami if some robber broke into his apartment and killed him?

And I don't mean to aim this at you. But who cares that he played for Miami? A 22 year old young man who seemingly was trying to make a better life for himself and family is dead. That's all that needs to be said. :lol:

I'm sure this happen because he was UM football player and not because Miami is one of the most violent areas of the country.  ;)

No offense to you but it's hilarious for people who live in 'burbs or safe neighborhoods to criticize those who come from the inner city.  He was a 22 year old  who was in college (regardless of what you think of Miami as a school) and few months from doing what everyone who goes to college hopes to do, get a job.  Plus, his job would provide him the opportunity so that his children won't have to grow up in a similar type of situation. 

I don't know if he was completely innocent but there was no record of him being involved in any criminal activity.  Would it matter if he played for Miami if some robber broke into his apartment and killed him?

And I don't mean to aim this at you.  But who cares that he played for Miami?  A 22 year old young man who seemingly was trying to make a better life for himself and family is dead.  That's all that needs to be said.  :lol:

829080[/snapback]

I could see this being something similar to what happened to Corey Moore.

RIP

I'll echo some sentiments:

1. Not acting shocked that this took place at the U is not grounds for being an @sshole. It just isn't that shocking...

2. Blaming this guy or justifying his murder because of his school is pretty lame. I'm not so sure that he was a choir boy, but the fact is that no one knows at all who he was or what he was doing when this happened. This will most likely be uncovered soon, but until then, making guesses about how innocent a recently murdered man was, is pretty disrespectful.

3. One of the best points made in this thread was that the city of Miami has a lot to do with this, probably much more so than the school's reputation.

RIP

I'll echo some sentiments:

1.  Not acting shocked that this took place at the U is not grounds for being an @sshole.  It just isn't that shocking...

2.  Blaming this guy or justifying his murder because of his school is pretty lame.  I'm not so sure that he was a choir boy, but the fact is that no one knows at all who he was or what he was doing when this happened.  This will most likely be uncovered soon, but until then, making guesses about how innocent a recently murdered man was, is pretty disrespectful.

3.  One of the best points made in this thread was that the city of Miami has a lot to do with this, probably much more so than the school's reputation.

829091[/snapback]

So what you're saying that since he hangs out with thugs from his football team, he is more likely to get into trouble based on the city that he is residing in as opposed to the crowds he rolls with?

So what you're saying that since he hangs out with thugs from his football team, he is more likely to get into trouble based on the city that he is residing in as opposed to the crowds he rolls with?

829094[/snapback]

No.

I'm saying that being a well-known, soon-to-be-rich (and possibly currently loaded) semi-celebrity living in a dangerous area can be more than enough to get you robbed or killed. Being a football player at the U most likely makes him a target, regardless of how he acts or who he associates with.

You think 'thugs' and their friends are the only victims of violent crime in Miami?

No.

I'm saying that being a well-known, soon-to-be-rich (and possibly currently loaded) semi-celebrity living in a dangerous area can be more than enough to get you robbed or killed.  Being a football player at the U most likely makes him a target, regardless of how he acts or who he associates with.

You think 'thugs' and their friends are the only victims of violent crime in Miami?

829100[/snapback]

No i don't think that 'thugs' and their friends are the only victims of crime. More likely to be shot and killed? Yeah, i do.

Pata's death was the second incident involving guns this season for the Hurricanes.

In July, reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks when confronted in his yard before an early morning workout. Cooper was not seriously injured. Brandon Meriweather, one of Cooper's teammates and roommates, returned fire at Cooper's assailant, taking three shots that apparently missed, police said.

Gee, more U players involved in a shooting? Must be because they live in a dangerous city where they are super stars, huh?

No i don't think that 'thugs' and their friends are the only victims of crime. More likely to be shot and killed? Yeah, i do.

Pata's death was the second incident involving guns this season for the Hurricanes.

In July, reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks when confronted in his yard before an early morning workout. Cooper was not seriously injured. Brandon Meriweather, one of Cooper's teammates and roommates, returned fire at Cooper's assailant, taking three shots that apparently missed, police said.

Gee, more U players involved in a shooting? Must be because they live in a dangerous city where they are super stars, huh?

829105[/snapback]

Yeah, the culture of Miami has nothing to do with it. ;)

I would say that when you draw talent from thugish areas you are going to get thugs mixed up with thugish realtions, thus performing thugish actions.

829109[/snapback]

You could argue that the whole reason why the U finds it acceptable to do this is because of the culture of the area around the campus.

I don't think that its a stretch to say that either. People that give money to Miami will tolerate that type of garbage, much moreso then other schools, so they can get away with it in order to attempt to win.

829105[/snapback]

My main point is that I am not ready to judge his character and write off his murder as another thug until I get more information. Additionally, I am not going to act like the U seeks out all the violent athletes from across the nation. A lot of the guys on the team are from Miami. Maybe this has more to do with who they are than what school they go to.

Maybe Pata was a thug hanging out with other thugs as you suggest. And just maybe this was because of the city he grew up in...