Best thing for Republicans . . .

Peter

After some consideration, I think that the best thing that could happen for Republicans going into the 2008 presidential election would be for the Democrats to take control of the House.

As it stands now, the Republicans control all three branches of government. If the Dems take control of the house, it will be easier to remind the voters what Democrats are like when they govern. Of course, this will depend on whether a traditional Republican gets the nomination and can distance himself from Iraq.

Interestingly, the administration has tried to do all it can do to focus the electorate on these traditional Republican issues in this election cycle -- realizing that if the election is about Iraq, it is not a winning issue. The problem is that this administration forgot what the traditional conservative agenda is.

There is an interesting piece in the American Conservative magazine that you may want to read.

American Conservative Magazine: Just say "no" to Bush

After some consideration, I think that the best thing that could happen for Republicans going into the 2008 presidential election would be for the Democrats to take control of the House.

As it stands now, the Republicans control all three branches of government.  If the Dems take control of the house, it will be easier to remind the voters what Democrats are like when they govern.  Of course, this will depend on whether a traditional Republican gets the nomination and can distance himself from Iraq.

Interestingly, the administration has tried to do all it can do to focus the electorate on these traditional Republican issues in this election cycle -- realizing that if the election is about Iraq, it is not a winning issue.  The problem is that this administration forgot what the traditional conservative agenda is.

There is an interesting piece in the American Conservative magazine that you may want to read.

828377[/snapback]

good article. thanks for the link.

The House won't do much honestly. This 2-year cycle will be shown by the media as gridlock government at its worst, with the House refusing to get along with the Senate, congress with the whitehouse, and Democrats vs Republicans.

The best thing for Republicans is to have the incumbency advantage for the next election cycles.

As it stands now, the Republicans control all three branches of government.  If the Dems take control of the house, it will be easier to remind the voters what Democrats are like when they govern.  Of course, this will depend on whether a traditional Republican gets the nomination and can distance himself from Iraq.

Interestingly, the administration has tried to do all it can do to focus the electorate on these traditional Republican issues in this election cycle -- realizing that if the election is about Iraq, it is not a winning issue.  The problem is that this administration forgot what the traditional conservative agenda is.

828377[/snapback]

I suspect that 2 years of Nancy Pelosi as Speaker will quell any and all hopes or desires for Hillary in '08.

Republicans will retain power in the House.

828393[/snapback]

I hope so for America's sake. Nancy Pelosi and here San Francisco values are dangerous to America. I f the Dims get there commie hands on the government it will take a jackhammer to get their incumbent asses out of power. Sad, too sad to think about at this point

I hope so for America's sake. Nancy Pelosi and here San Francisco values are dangerous to America. I f the Dims get there commie hands on the government it will take a jackhammer to get their incumbent asses out of power. Sad, too sad to think about at this point

828400[/snapback]

:w00t: Does the electricity go out in your house when you try to construct a thought, or even a sentence in English?

If the "Dims" are really as dim as your superior intellect seems to gauge, they should have no problem getting kicked out.

God, I feel dumber having read and responded to this.

If she ends up Speaker, I half expect a big push to impeach Bush and Cheney and get Pelosi in the White House...

828423[/snapback]

are you serious?

i have heard this a couple of times in the past couple of weeks but i just can't see this ever happening. i can see Congress pushing for Impeachment hearings and making quite a bit of noise about it, but i just can't see it going anywhere.

i think the new members of Congress that ran on a "Moderate" platform would be in a load of stevestojan with their voters if they went along with the "cronie dem leadership" on that.

are you serious?

i have heard this a couple of times in the past couple of weeks but i just can't see this ever happening.  i can see Congress pushing for Impeachment hearings and making quite a bit of noise about it, but i just can't see it going anywhere.

i think the new members of Congress that ran on a "Moderate" platform would be in a load of stevestojan with their voters if they went along with the "cronie dem leadership" on that.

828455[/snapback]

She's already gone on record that it's not gonna happen.

Pelosi: 'Impeachment is off the table' (via Market Watch, 10/22)

U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has pledged not to pursue impeachment of President George W. Bush if Democrats win the November election.

"Impeachment is off the table," said Pelosi in an interview aired Sunday on CBS "60 Minutes."

Asked if that was a pledge, Pelosi said it was.

"Yes, it is a pledge," she said. "Of course it is."

Pelosi called impeachment "a waste of time," and suggested Republicans -- who have controlled the House for 12 years -- would make political hay out of it if Democrats tried to impeach Bush.

are you serious?

i have heard this a couple of times in the past couple of weeks but i just can't see this ever happening.  i can see Congress pushing for Impeachment hearings and making quite a bit of noise about it, but i just can't see it going anywhere.

828455[/snapback]

Half-serious. Like I said, I half-expect it.

And Coli...I don't buy that, not completely. The Democrats are still pissed over that bull sh-- impeachment of Clinton...and rightfully so...and politics on The Hill is less rational than it is on the playground...

Sure, Pelosi says that...but if Congress could impeach Clinton over a blow job from a fat broad, anything can happen...