Porting a cell phone number

JoeFerguson

I am looking to switch from Sprint to Verizon and I want to keep my current number (615 area code) but I currently reside in the Buffalo area (716).

I asked the woman at the Verizon store and she said it might not be possible and I'd have to ask customer service. I have emailed Verizon's customer service but they have not responded to me. My next course of action is just to call them, but I was wondering if anyone has ever done this themselves?

I am looking to switch from Sprint to Verizon and I want to keep my current number (615 area code) but I currently reside in the Buffalo area (716). 

I asked the woman at the Verizon store and she said it might not be possible and I'd have to ask customer service.  I have emailed Verizon's customer service but they have not responded to me.  My next course of action is just to call them, but I was wondering if anyone has ever done this themselves?

828371[/snapback]

What differance would it make where you live? My wife has kept her (240) subarban MD exchange and we have lived in Richmond Va (804) for going on 4 yrs now. Her number was ported from Verizon to Nextel bout 18 months ago, but was done through her work.

What differance would it make where you live? My wife has kept her (240) subarban MD exchange and we have lived in Richmond Va (804) for going on 4 yrs now. Her number was ported from Verizon to Nextel bout 18 months ago, but was done through her work.

828389[/snapback]

According to what I was told at the Verizon store, Verizon will give you an activated phone with a temporary number. Then you call customer service and have it ported to the new number. If I get a new phone, it will be given a 716 number as the temporary area code and the woman wasn't sure if a 615 number could be ported to it.

I asked the woman at the Verizon store and she said it might not be possible and I'd have to ask customer service.  I have emailed Verizon's customer service but they have not responded to me.  My next course of action is just to call them, but I was wondering if anyone has ever done this themselves?

828371[/snapback]

Sorry Joe, but probably not possible. For all you know, though highly unlikely, someone may already own that number. You might be able to check its availability and request it, but I don't believe that you can just port it over.

Sorry Joe, but probably not possible. For all you know, though highly unlikely, someone may already own that number. You might be able to check its availability and request it, but I don't believe that you can just port it over.

828484[/snapback]

Someone does have the number, it's him. He is currently using the cell phone number on his Sprint phone, and wants to keep it when he switches to a Verizon phone.

828484[/snapback]

I want to keep the entire number, area code included. I already own it.