Hows about Leftwich

plenzmd1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I've always had with Leftwich is his mechanics. I pitched in college and though I'm not an expert on football throwing motions he throws a football like a baseball. Throwing anything overhand is a completely unnatural motion that really strains the muscles involved and can result in major injuries even if mechanics are flawless. Leftwich extends and comes over the top of his shoulder much like an outfielder or pitcher in baseball, but he's throwing a football, which weighs about 15oz or three times as much as a baseball, which means he places a lot of undue stress on his arm. I believe this tires his arm out and thats why if you look at the numbers hes put up in the first half of seasons vs the second half, he is far superior in the first 8 games of the season. If you watch a guy like Manning or Brady they throw from their ear without the windup. That's one reason I wouldn't trade for Leftwich, that motion also means that he is a major shoulder injury waiting to happen (not to mention the rest of his body which is always hurt). Its the same way Gio Carmazzi (who went to my high school a few years earlier than myself and who I'm friends with now) who was drafted by the 49ers in the 3rd round by the niners threw a football and it took him less than a year to experience a, what proved to be, career ending rotator cuff injury. He came to my highschool to rehab and we were talking about his injury and i blurted out that I always thought he threw a football like a baseball, and maybe thats why he got hurt, and thats exactly what he said the niners QB coaches were telling him, and why he got hurt. I just think the Byron will see the same end to his career because he'll never be able to change the mechanics he's had since the first time he picked up a football. Plus I'm still hoping JP will pan out for us.

I would trade a sack of schit for Byron Leftwich. If JP's a 4 year project then Byron is a 12 year project.

Not to mention I'm not sure how a black quarterback would go over with the typical conservative western new yorkian. They'd probably run him out of town Blazing Saddles style.

I heard a weird thing about Leftwich the other day on Sirius NFL.  He's 6'4" and has size 8 shoes.  The speculation is that those dainty feet are part of the reason he has so much trouble with his ankle.

827443[/snapback]

Damn the speculation - anyone will tell you if you are that big, with such little feet you'll suffer ankle injuries. it's all about stability.

I would trade a sack of schit for Byron Leftwich.  If JP's a 4 year project then Byron is a 12 year project.

Not to mention I'm not sure how a black quarterback would go over with the typical conservative western new yorkian.  They'd probably run him out of town Blazing Saddles style.

827936[/snapback]

I didn't know Rush Limbaugh was a poster on TSW.

Damn the speculation - anyone will tell you if you are that big, with such little feet you'll suffer ankle injuries.  it's all about stability.

827937[/snapback]

Right, that's what I found interesting about the whole thing. That such a big guy could be supported by such tiny feet. There's bound to be problems.

Not to mention I'm not sure how a black quarterback would go over with the typical conservative western new yorkian.  They'd probably run him out of town Blazing Saddles style.

827936[/snapback]

I would hate to think that. Frankly if the guy was a winner, no one would care. He'd be as popular as Jim Kelly.

PTR

I would hate to think that.  Frankly if the guy was a winner, no one would care. He'd be as popular as Jim Kelly.

PTR

828088[/snapback]

Just like we rolled Tony Mcgegny and Mike Grier out o town? or for that matter James Harris?

No one in Buffal gives a rata ass about anything other than winning. Criminy, I gotta feeling if Bin Laden had a rocket arm, could read defenses well, and had a 20 -2 TD to interception, we would welcome him :blink:

I am not sure of the asking price but I would rather go after Matt Schaub. If ATL will let him go for a 2nd or 3rd I think he is definately worth it. He is stuck behind Vick and wont get any PT til Vick breaks something. The kid has performed well when given the chance.

Plus he is young and hant had an injury worth noting. One of the if not the best backup out there. Take a shot Marv!

Just like we rolled Tony Mcgegny and Mike Grier out o town? or for that matter James Harris?

No one in Buffal gives a rata ass about anything other than winning. Criminy, I gotta feeling if Bin Laden had a rocket arm, could read defenses well, and had a 20 -2 TD to interception, we would welcome him :blink:

828101[/snapback]

No one ran Grier out of town, he left on his own

But why would anyone black or white want to play in Buffalo if the team isn't a winner. If you aren't playing at a Pro Bowl level every week, they are just going to call for your benching and run you out of town as a bust

I am not sure of the asking price but I would rather go after Matt Schaub. If ATL will let him go for a 2nd or 3rd I think he is definately worth it. He is stuck behind Vick and wont get any PT til Vick breaks something. The kid has performed well when given the chance.

Plus he is young and hant had an injury worth noting. One of the if not the best backup out there. Take a shot Marv!

828125[/snapback]

Of course Shaub hasn't had an injury worth noting, he would have to have playing time to get injured. He has been in the league longer and has less playing time then JP. If your willing to spend the 2nd or 3rd round pick on him, might as well try using the first on Quinn instead, atleast he has the name recognition that will draw the media attention and hype, and he probably has a better chance of working out as a starter then Schaub who has shown next to nothing

And there is no way I am advocating using a low draft pick on a QB this year.

No one ran Grier out of town, he left on his own

But why would anyone black or white want to play in Buffalo if the team isn't a winner. If you aren't playing at a Pro Bowl level every week, they are just going to call for your benching and run you out of town as a bust

828127[/snapback]

That was my point, skin color of the ahteletes in Buffalo means nada. Lets not forget James harris was the first black QB( i think i have that right) to start a regular season game in the NFL, and he did it in Buffalo. We also welcomed Tony with open arms back in da days when their were NO black players in the NHL. Only one who didn't want Tony was ole Norty, who about threw a fit when Punch drafted him(according to Bob Swados in Counsel in the Crease).

BTW, that is great book for any Buffalo sports fan.

Of course Shaub hasn't had an injury worth noting, he would have to have playing time to get injured. He has been in the league longer and has less playing time then JP. If your willing to spend the 2nd or 3rd round pick on him, might as well try using the first on Quinn instead, atleast he has the name recognition that will draw the media attention and hype, and he probably has a better chance of working out as a starter then Schaub who has shown next to nothing

And there is no way I am advocating using a low draft pick on a QB this year.

828129[/snapback]

Both Losman and Schaub have been in the league for 3 years. Next, Schaub is younger. I'm not an advocate for Schaub, we might have a clone-like Schaub in Nall. They play similar football. Try Nall first.

First off, I'm a JP guy. Not ready to throw him under the bus yet, but just for grins lets speculate.

From everything I read, ole Byron just about done in Jacksonville. Now, I personally do not think hes all that, but what about all you JP haters out there. Just curious, would you rather have him or JP. And if Leftwich, how much will it cost to get him? I believe next year is his last under contract, so you would have to give him an extension as well, so what would you pay him?

827367[/snapback]

Have we learned nothing from the Bledslow deal?

First off, I'm a JP guy. Not ready to throw him under the bus yet, but just for grins lets speculate.

827367[/snapback]

Just because this thread has veered away from the original question, I will humor you and say this - I think he is worth about a 5th or 6th rounder and a salary close to Holcomb's. His worth is about that of a second stringer or a project QB.

Just because this thread has veered away from the original question, I will humor you and say this - I think he is worth about a 5th or 6th rounder and a salary close to Holcomb's. His worth is about that of a second stringer or a project QB.

828260[/snapback]

And thats all I think they will get for him, maybe a late 4th. I do not want to see him here, but he along with Sims seem to me to be the "name qb's" that are going to available.

I think what complicates it is that next year is his last under contract, so you would HAVE to sign an extension if you make the trade.