Time in the Pocket

jjamie12

Good topic and here's a little bit to add to it:

a few years ago when we played NE on SNF, they brought up the timer they used for Bledsoe and the time he had. When they showed it, he had 3.9 seconds before he could get the pass off and they said he took too long. Then, later they showed Brady and he had, amazingly enough 3.9 seconds for a play and they said he had a quick release and great protection. It was quite funny and as always an ESPN half-stat.

I would say time is relative to the drop-back of the pass and the protection called. I have a book by Walsh that breaks down the times, and when I get a chance I'll copy it and post it here to add to the discussion...

826816[/snapback]

i've mentioned that same graphic a couple times during my short tenure here. i recall it differently, however, with brady having 4 plus seconds to set up and throw, and bledsoe having 2 or pats jersey's in his face at about 3.5 or 3.6. we both share similar memories of how the comparison was supposed to shine light on brady's brilliance, but made the very point about protection we're talking about here. 4 seconds with seymour/vrabel/bruschi two feet away and closing fast is different than 4 seconds with outstanding protection.

i think the real issue is consistency of play. there were a few jail breaks on manning last night, and he handled them excpetionally in most cases. however, the regular theme for him is that of good protection, and exceptional decision-making. same with brady---. they're great qb's who make the most of their situation, but more often than not their situation has been better than any the last couple of qb's in Buffalo have had.