One Change that I Really Think Should Happen....

JDG

At the very least, I think it is time to move Craig Nall up the #2 slot - unless there is something going on in practice that we don't know about that indicates that Craig Nall is a complete bust.

After sitting through today's game, I am yet even more deeply concerned about JP Losman's prospects as a starting QB. This was the game that should have been JP's opportunity to show us something - something as a developing player reaching the midpoint of his third NFL Season. There's no question that JP Losman had played poorly during our three game losing streak, but two of those games were against two of the best teams in the NFL, and the third was a bad spot against a desperate team. This game, however, was a home game, coming off a bye week, against a bad team.

Here's the unfortunate tale of the tape:

2nd Quarter, Lee Evans gets behind the defense, and JP Losman badly underthrew the pass.

With 9:38 to go in the 4th Quarter, JP Losman had 7 completions for 59 yards and 5 sacks for -38 yards.... 21 net passing yards!!!!!

On 2nd and 20, the Packers commit football malpractice, and let Lee Evans get wide open behind the defense - thankfully, this time Losman actually completes the pass, saving the game, and giving Losman a whopping 102 yards passing for the day.

At the end of the day, the Bills' longest offensive drive was 33 yards..... coming on the 43 yard (yes, 43 yard) busted-coverage pass play to Lee Evans.

You can talk to me all you want about the offensive line, but the simple fact of the matter is that this is JP Losman's third game this year, and fifth in his short career with less than 105 meaningful passing yards. Is there any QB with such a track record outside of a rookie season? Yes, the offensive line isn't good, but to blame this QB performance on the offensive line would be to argue that our offensive line is not just one of the worst in the NFL, but is one of the all-time worst in NFL history.

The truth of the matter is that JP Losman was bailed out of a horrible game today by great special teams, and a defense that generated four turnovers. The next time JP Losman puts up a stinker like this, we might not have the luxury of a defensive and special teams bailout. In that kind of situation, I'd at least like to have the option of being able to putt Nall in the game, to maybe see what he can do - again, unless there is something about Nall from practice that the coaches are seeing that we don't know about - but failing that, we should be preparing ourselves for getting a late-season look at Craig Nall before deciding whether or not we need to bet the farm on trying to land Brady Quinn....

JDG

I agree that with 5 losses this early, he should be the #2. Holcomb was rightly the backup until we saw where the team was headed, but I think five losses pretty much assures that we're not going to make the playoffs this year. They signed Nall for a reason. He was injured during training camp and didnt play much, so the only way to evaluate the guy now is to get him some playing time. Let JP be the starter the rest of the year, but get Nall some reps off the bench. JP's not just avoiding making mistakes, he's avoiding doing much of anything in terms of scoring points. That's a problem.

Why not start Nall after next week? JP's going to get killed and starting Nall at least shows us if we have any hope at all.

If not the status quo will continue. I also like the A Train's effort. When your offense if offensive it's time to change something. The miniscule amount of yardage we picked up is scary.

It's not just the scheme, it's the players who are just not performing.

Why not start Nall after next week? JP's going to get killed and starting Nall at least shows us if we have any hope at all.

If not the status quo will continue. I also like the A Train's effort. When your offense if offensive it's time to change something. The miniscule amount of yardage we picked up is scary.

It's not just the scheme, it's the players who are just not performing.

826307[/snapback]

Totally agree. I'd like to see what a Nall/A-train backfield can do in Houston. If that sounds sarcastic, it wasn't supposed to. Man, we suck :P

2nd Quarter, Lee Evans gets behind the defense, and JP Losman badly underthrew the pass.

With 9:38 to go in the 4th Quarter, JP Losman had 7 completions for 59 yards and 5 sacks for -38 yards.... 21 net passing yards!!!!!

First of all, if Losman DOESN'T underthrow Evans on that 2nd quarter throw he (Evans)may have been put out for the season...the safety was there...the underthrow was the right throw there G....

and hitting when the D makes a mistake is the difference between good teams and bad...there are a few mistakes each game that makes the difference...you can't discount when your team takes advantage because it is how the good and bad teams are differentiated. j.p. made the right plays that separate the good from the bad today-its up to the rest of the team to make up the difference, and they did today.