What do you think will end civilization???

Tux of Borg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What disaster/scenario will end humanity on earth?

I know it could be anything..

824178[/snapback]

They had a show called "extinctions" on the National Geographic channel 4 days ago. Very well done. Most likely will be an a supernova explosions effects hitting the Earth (Very bad situation would unfold. No electronics for a decade) or a flip in the pole. We are overdue for one anyday.

They had a show called "extinctions" on the National Geographic channel 4 days ago.  Very well done.  Most likely will be an a supernova explosions effects hitting the Earth (Very bad situation would unfold.  No electronics for a decade) or a flip in the pole.  We are overdue for one anyday.

827794[/snapback]

I thought we werent due for one until 2017 .. hmm .. if your right, I must have been way off in my thinking.

What would be the effects of a flip in the pole...

Everything now marked "N"... Just becomes "S."

:lol:  :P  :blink:

827898[/snapback]

As facetious as you were trying to be you were actually correct. Well. Kinda. Their is a few different meaning when people refer to "flipping the poles"

1. The earths magnetic field (theoretically) flips every couple hundred thousand years. Thus causing (if it were to happen today) compasses to point S when you were heading to what you previously knew as North. A sign that this is happening is that the magnetic field actually reduces in strength ... which it is now right now. Dont mis-understand me though. This doesnt happen over night or anything. The sun actually reverses magnetic field every 10-11 years.

2. Some people believe that sometime in our future the earth will rotate on its axis differently causing the north poles to become warm and the equator to become cold. Some people refer to this as a flipping the poles (flipping the temps).

As facetious as you were trying to be you were actually correct. Well. Kinda. Their is a few different meaning when people refer to "flipping the poles"

1. The earths magnetic field (theoretically) flips every couple hundred thousand years. Thus causing (if it were to happen today) compasses to point S when you were heading to what you previously knew as North. A sign that this is happening is that the magnetic field actually reduces in strength ... which it is now right now. Dont mis-understand me though. This doesnt happen over night or anything. The sun actually reverses magnetic field every 10-11 years.

2. Some people believe that sometime in our future the earth will rotate on its axis differently causing the north poles to become warm and the equator to become cold. Some people refer to this as a flipping the poles (flipping the temps).

827912[/snapback]

:blink::lol:

I guess Darin will finally get to be king...

Think of the economic possibilites with people flocking north... South... Whatever??

:P:P

827912[/snapback]

Oh... On a more serious note... Not that Darin being king isn't serious... :blink::lol:

Something would have to "intervene" to make your #2 come to fruition?... "A body stays in motion" thingy?? Newton's first law??...

Which would be the shifting of the poles due to the earth's molten nickel core... Right?

Would volcanic activity be on the rise and a good indicator?

Oh... On a more serious note... Not that Darin being king isn't serious... :blink:  :lol:

Something would have to "intervene" to make your #2 come to fruition?... "A body stays in motion" thingy??  Newton's first law??...

Which would be the shifting of the poles due to the earth's molten nickel core... Right?

Would volcanic activity be on the rise and a good indicator?

827916[/snapback]

He's probably confusing about precession of the axis.