As a Christian, this sickens me.

buckeyemike

Good post.

What are you talking about? Where in the Bible does it say a priest (NT) has to be celibate?

824335[/snapback]

It says that it's better to be single and celibate, but if you just have to have the pooty, then you should get married before you knock boots. I believe the Catholic stance that priests remain celibate comes from this part of scripture, but I'm not positive.

EDIT: So far from "commanding" marriage in 1 Corinthians 7, in that very chapter Paul actually endorses celibacy for those capable of it: "To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is well for them to remain single as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion" (7:8-9).

It is only because of this "temptation to immorality" (7:2) that Paul gives the teaching about each man and woman having a spouse and giving each other their "conjugal rights" (7:3); he specifically clarifies, "I say this by way of concession, not of command. I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own special gift from God, one of one kind and one of another" (7:6-7, emphasis added).

Paul even goes on to make a case for preferring celibacy to marriage: "Are you free from a wife? Do not seek marriage. . . those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that. . . . The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or girl is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit; but the married woman is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please her husband" (7:27-34).

from Catholic.com

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It says that it's better to be single and celibate, but if you just have to have the pooty, then you should get married before you knock boots. I believe the Catholic stance that priests remain celibate comes from this part of scripture, but I'm not positive.

EDIT: So far from "commanding" marriage in 1 Corinthians 7, in that very chapter Paul actually endorses celibacy for those capable of it: "To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is well for them to remain single as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion" (7:8-9).

It is only because of this "temptation to immorality" (7:2) that Paul gives the teaching about each man and woman having a spouse and giving each other their "conjugal rights" (7:3); he specifically clarifies, "I say this by way of concession, not of command. I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own special gift from God, one of one kind and one of another" (7:6-7, emphasis added).

Paul even goes on to make a case for preferring celibacy to marriage: "Are you free from a wife? Do not seek marriage. . . those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that. . . . The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or girl is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit; but the married woman is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please her husband" (7:27-34).

from Catholic.com

824339[/snapback]

Be careful not to mix Catholicism with The Bible. God sees nothing wrong with marriage and sex inside of marriage. God gave Eve to Adam to be fruitful and multiply. Many verses (and possibly the ones you posted above) are quoted out of context because people just search google and come up with ridiculous things. Many believe those verses speak about how you shouldnt be married until your time (aka until God tells you it is right).

Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

I encourage you to use www.biblegateway.com. Great resource!

Be careful not to mix Catholicism with The Bible. God sees nothing wrong with marriage and sex inside of marriage. God gave Eve to Adam to be fruitful and multiply. Many verses (and possibly the ones you posted above) are quoted out of context because people just search google and come up with ridiculous things. Many believe those verses speak about how you shouldnt be married until your time (aka until God tells you it is right).

Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

I encourage you to use www.biblegateway.com. Great resource!

824362[/snapback]

I can't NOT mix Catholicism with the Bible, because the Bible (along with tradition) is the foundation of Catholic teachng. The Catholic church does not in any way, shape, or form teach that marriage is any less of a blessing than a calling to be a priest. My personal belief is that not everyone is called to be married and have children. Some are, some aren't. That's basically what the chruch teaches, too. Catholics don't think there is anything wrong with sex w/in marriage either.....we're some of the horniest people on earth, brother!

I can't NOT mix Catholicism with the Bible, because the Bible (along with tradition) is the foundation of Catholic teachng. The Catholic church does not in any way, shape, or form teach that marriage is any less of a blessing than a calling to be a priest. My personal belief is that not everyone is called to be married and have children. Some are, some aren't. That's basically what the chruch teaches, too. Catholics don't think there is anything wrong with sex w/in marriage either.....we're some of the horniest people on earth, brother!

824366[/snapback]

I agree with the bolded part ... but the post I replied to was you inferring that the Bible, not the catholic church, preaches that priests should remain celibate. Thats not true. The convo went like this:

poster 1 : celibacy for priests is BS and thats why i dont like the catholic church

your response : you dont like the Bible them

wouldnt that mean that the BIBLE is what teaches celibacy among priests?

824362[/snapback]

/dev/null 1:1 Be cool unto /dev/null and /dev/null shall be cool unto you. Pusheth thou ways onto /dev/null and /dev/null shall treat thou like an assclown. Expecteth special treatment because thou aret a different gender, religion, orientation, or of a different race than /dev/null and thou shalt be treated like a retard. Act like a retard and /dev/null shall treat thou as such

I agree with the bolded part ... but the post I replied to was you inferring that the Bible, not the catholic church, preaches that priests should remain celibate. Thats not true. The convo went like this:

poster 1 : celibacy for priests is BS and thats why i dont like the catholic church

your response : you dont like the Bible them

wouldnt that mean that the BIBLE is what teaches celibacy among priests?

824369[/snapback]

I see what you're saying. I didn't think I'd be taken to task on it, or else I'd have said it differently :huh: My main point is that the Catholic church derived it's view on priests and celibacy from the Bible. Every denomination of Christianity (of which there are THOUSANDS) interprets scripture in their own way. I typically find it pointless for laypeople to debate which interpretation is correct, or who is in better position to more accurately interpret it....there are people who dedicate their entire lives to the study of scripture and they still disagree. When I fell away from the Catholic church, I did my due diligence in learning about why they believe and teach as they do. It was then that I realized that it made sense to me, and I could continue to identify myself as a "Catholic". That's pretty much the extent that I will go into scripture and debate the various interpretations (unless you want to talk about the Mormons....MAN are they whacked out!!! :w00t: )

But I should have said it differently or qualified my original post.

/dev/null 1:1 Be cool unto /dev/null and /dev/null shall be cool unto you.  Pusheth thou ways onto /dev/null and /dev/null shall treat thou like an assclown.  Expecteth special treatment because thou aret a different gender, religion, orientation, or of a different race than /dev/null and thou shalt be treated like a retard.  Act like a retard and /dev/null shall treat thou as such

824373[/snapback]

Boces?

I see what you're saying. I didn't think I'd be taken to task on it, or else I'd have said it differently :huh:  My main point is that the Catholic church derived it's view on priests and celibacy from the Bible. Every denomination of Christianity (of which there are THOUSANDS) interprets scripture in their own way. I typically find it pointless for laypeople to debate which interpretation is correct, or who is in better position to more accurately interpret it....there are people who dedicate their entire lives to the study of scripture and they still disagree. When I fell away from the Catholic church, I did my due diligence in learning about why they believe and teach as they do. It was then that I realized that it made sense to me, and I could continue to identify myself as a "Catholic". That's pretty much the extent that I will go into scripture and debate the various interpretations (unless you want to talk about the Mormons....MAN are they whacked out!!!  :w00t:  )

But I should have said it differently or qualified my original post.

824374[/snapback]

Ah. I just didnt get what you were saying in the original post. Good to know.

If the allegations are true, he's got a non-earthly hurdle ahead of him.

But let's get to the core...you and me want to know what kind of cars he owns!  :w00t:

823928[/snapback]

Better yet - what's his 40 time?

If he could play OLine like a demon or catch passes like TO we should relentlessly nag Marv to sign him.

from Catholic.com

824339[/snapback]

FYI, priestly celibacy was not a requirement until the 12th century, and the real reason is not biblical at all, but financial - it was an affort by the Church to protect its assets and acquire land by preventing the children of priests to inherit property.

Celibacy is not a biblical requirement, nor was it required by God - rather by His greedy servants at the head of the Church.

Wow. Methinks I opened a can of worms posting this.

The one guy who posted re: the church outside Atlanta...a Ferrari collection?

Totally inappropriate for a man of God. Unless they're model Ferraris. :w00t:

I am not Catholic (I attend, and teach Sunday School in, an Assemblies of God church and grew up in the Church of the Nazarene, a small evangelical denomination), but one side of my family is almost totally Catholic. And I know them to be sincere in their beliefs, and I certainly don't begrudge them because I am Protestant. Christ is the only way to heaven according to Scripture, but there's nothing I can find in the Bible about having to be of a particular denomination.

I appreciate sincerity and humbleness among clergy, and not the mentality of fleecing the flock. There are so many out there, Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox, who are just trying to live rightly, righteously, and attempt to do God's work with His help, to the best of their ability.

Wow.  Methinks I opened a can of worms posting this.

The one guy who posted re:  the church outside Atlanta...a Ferrari collection?

Totally inappropriate for a man of God.  Unless their model Ferraris.  :w00t:

I am not Catholic (I attend, and teach Sunday School in, an Assemblies of God church and grew up in the Church of the Nazarene, a small evangelical denomination), but one side of my family is almost totally Catholic.  And I know them to be sincere in their beliefs, and I certainly don't begrudge them because I am Protestant.  Christ is the only way to heaven according to Scripture, but there's nothing I can find in the Bible about having to be of a particular denomination.

I appreciate sincerity and humbleness among clergy, and not the mentality of fleecing the flock.  There are so many out there, Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox, who are just trying to live rightly, righteously, and attempt to do God's work with His help, to the best of their ability.

824448[/snapback]

What the Buckeyes have been doing to their opponents so far this year can hardly be considered Christian-like! :huh: