Just in time for the holidays

rockpile

That's been kicking around in various incarnations for a while.

The popular shirt down here a while ago was "Buffalo Sucks"

To which I replied: "Miami swallows"

823684[/snapback]

Wonder if that kid makes any money from all the products ive seen? He is all over the place. How proud his parents must be! :D

who the heck buys these things?

823720[/snapback]

The same people who buy those Calvin decals for their trucks...the one where Calvin is pi$$ing on the [insert rival truck manufacturer here] logo.

Many of these same folk have an adjacent decal that reads: "Driving in Memory of Number 3." :D

The same people who buy those Calvin decals for their trucks...the one where Calvin is pi$$ing on the [insert rival truck manufacturer here] logo.

Many of these same folk have an adjacent decal that reads: "Driving in Memory of Number 3."  :D

823726[/snapback]

YEP! Especially here in Alabama! :w00t:

That's been kicking around in various incarnations for a while.

The popular shirt down here a while ago was "Buffalo Sucks"

To which I replied: "Miami swallows"

823684[/snapback]

ive also seen shirt @ Miami games that have a big screw, then it says BUFFALo. then on the back it's a dolphins railing a buffalo from behind.

ive also seen shirt @ Miami games that have a big screw, then it says BUFFALo. then on the back it's a dolphins railing a buffalo from behind.

823824[/snapback]

Does the Dolphin still wear its helmet?

I always love seeing the truck (or car) with Calvin pissing on the rival vehicle manufacturers logo, cause it usually does end up on a vehicle with a #3 somewhere on it, a driver wearing a #3 t-shirt (or any other Nascar related shirt, sometimes even the hat to match), and a Git'r Done Decal (although sometimes that is just replaced with the driver using the phrase atleast once in every conversation)

Does the Dolphin still wear its helmet?

I always love seeing the truck (or car) with Calvin pissing on the rival vehicle manufacturers logo, cause it usually does end up on a vehicle with a #3 somewhere on it, a driver wearing a #3 t-shirt (or any other Nascar related shirt, sometimes even the hat to match), and a Git'r Done Decal (although sometimes that is just replaced with the driver using the phrase atleast once in every conversation)

823838[/snapback]

I am always irked a little when I see the Cavin cartoon misused. His creator, Bill Watterson, would not license him for any purpose, and once cited the "pissing" cartoon as one reason why.

I am always irked a little when I see the Cavin cartoon misused. His creator, Bill Watterson, would not license him for any purpose, and once cited the "pissing" cartoon as one reason why.

824004[/snapback]

I loved Calvin and Hobbes and I have every single one of Bill Wattersons Calvin and Hobbes Books. I agree completly with you, I hate seeing cheap knockoffs of the character used that way.

I hope it's not hypocritical of me to say I agree.

824046[/snapback]

I *think* that showing you are a fan by using a copy of Calvin for your personal avatar, would not bother Mr. Watterson.

But if you are selling the image on t-shirts, he would!

"Bill Watterson is notable for his insistence that cartoon strips should stand on their own as an art form, and he has resisted the use of Calvin and Hobbes in merchandizing of any sort. This insistence stuck despite the fact that it could have generated millions of dollars per year in additional personal income."

from Wikipedia

:devil:

I *think* that showing you are a fan by using a copy of Calvin for your personal avatar, would not bother Mr. Watterson.

But if you are selling the image on t-shirts, he would!

"Bill Watterson is notable for his insistence that cartoon strips should stand on their own as an art form, and he has resisted the use of Calvin and Hobbes in merchandizing of any sort. This insistence stuck despite the fact that it could have generated millions of dollars per year in additional personal income."

from Wikipedia

:wub:

824077[/snapback]

Except for the 12,000 different C&H books out there. :devil:

Except for the 12,000 different C&H books out there.  :devil:

824081[/snapback]

Yes, but the books were reprints of the strips in chronological order. I liked having them. ;)

Hey, the man is a capitalist, but at least Calvin is not selling Wonder Bread, and Hobbes is not eating Sunkist tuna on every TV and magazine in the world. :wub:

calvin and hobbes book list

I loved Calvin and Hobbes and I have every single one of Bill Wattersons Calvin and Hobbes Books. I agree completly with you, I hate seeing cheap knockoffs of the character used that way.

824035[/snapback]

One of my suitemates in college was a really good artist and he made a Calvin for everyone in the suite. He modified it to sorta match the personality of the person, and put the person's name at the bottom. I still have it somewhere, probably stuck in one of my textbooks from that year. It was pretty cool. :devil:

Yes, but the books were reprints of the strips in chronological order. I liked having them.  :wub:

Hey, the man is a capitalist, but at least Calvin is not selling Wonder Bread, and Hobbes is not eating Sunkist tuna on every TV and magazine in the world.  :devil:

calvin and hobbes book list

824115[/snapback]

I have no problem with it. I love the books too, however don't tell me in one breath he has refused to used C&H in merchandising of any sort and call him capitalist in the other. Is selling books merchandising? Yes, not the same type as cheesy stickers on your Dodge truck, but it is merchandising none the less.

I have no problem with it.  I love the books too, however don't tell me in one breath he has refused to used C&H in merchandising of any sort and call him capitalist in the other.  Is selling books merchandising?  Yes, not the same type as cheesy stickers on your Dodge truck, but it is merchandising none the less.

824153[/snapback]

OK. I concede the debate. :wub:

He was not completely opposed to merchandising C&H. He was however opposed to use them to sponsor someone else's products (candy, soft drinks, breakfast cereal, vitamins).

Because of their popularity, he was one of the VERY FEW who could buck the syndicates contracts and maintain control of the method of his creation's merchandising. Is that more correct? :devil:

I would love to have a C&H coffee mug, or t-shirt; someone else might want a stuffed animal. Watterson did not want this; he was very careful how they were marketed because he feared the overkill prevalent with Peanuts, Garfield, the Simpsons, etc.

I still cringe just a bit to see a profane C&H decal, bumper sticker or shirt.