Anyone know the size of an NHL rink VS an AHL rink

I went to an Amerks game last Sunday (buddy won some tickets or something) and the rink really did seem smaller. Any truth to this or am I just wrong?

823417[/snapback]

Maybe you're growing.

I know I've really put on some weight. I used to weigh 7lbs 8oz.

Olympic rinks are 200' x 100 , the standard North American rink is 200 - 85.   These are the standard sizes that new rinks are built, its possible some older rinks use interesting Math to achieve these figures.

grant

823579[/snapback]

The older rinks may be grandfathered in... The Aud and Boston Gardens... Were those 200' long???

The Amerks may be on one of the non-reg ones???

I know they would get creative... Blue line to blue line had to be a set distance, giving the offensive zone a real "cramped" look... Then take in the 15' width wise and it made for some really "cool" corners... :D:w00t:

Olympic rinks are 200' x 100 , the standard North American rink is 200 - 85.  These are the standard sizes that new rinks are built, its possible some older rinks use interesting Math to achieve these figures.

grant

823579[/snapback]

Maybe in the AHL they're measured diagonally - you know - like TVs and monitors.

I went to an Amerks game last Sunday (buddy won some tickets or something) and the rink really did seem smaller. Any truth to this or am I just wrong?

823417[/snapback]

BCA - Dimensions of Rink 197' x 85'

HSBC - ...utilizes the 200 by 85 foot ice surface

Three feet. Different but I'm not sure if it's noticeable.

BCA - Dimensions of Rink   197' x 85'

HSBC - ...utilizes the 200 by 85 foot ice surface

Three feet.  Different but I'm not sure if it's noticeable.

823662[/snapback]

Which is basically a extra 1.5' in each offensive zone...

I think the 15' width is more noticable... Maybe that is where he sees the corners as "tighter?" But, then again... He would have to be comparing it to an olympic rink, right???...

Another theory is that the seats are packed in tighter/building is tighter...

Or... He just has "eagle eyes" for the minutia???...

:D:w00t::w00t:

All new arenas built since the early 90's have standard ice sixe of 200x85. Blue Cross Arena in Rochester was renovated a few years ago and lists the ice as a standard 200x85. Less seats in an arena can give the apperance of a smaller ice surface.

Aud was 193x85

Boston Garden was 191x83

Chicago Stadium was only 185x85

Maple Leaf Gardens was 200x85 but had irregularly shaped corners.