Hey coaches (and JP)

tornado681

The coaches and JP himself are not taking advantage enough of JPs running ability. Roll him out more, design a few QB runs. JP, dont be afraid to run if no one's open. Its good to do everyone once in a while.

Id like to see JP take off 6 to 7 times a game. He needs to play *his* game.

I'd like that idea if I thought Jon could hold onto the ball.

822737[/snapback]

Besides the play last week with the ref, JP has never fumbled scrambling.The only time he has been turnover prone is when he has been blinsided; most QB's are fumble prone when they get blasted from behind!

Back to the topic, I hope he watched Romo or even Vick and see how they used their feet to keep plays alive and the chains moving. JP has shown he can scramble but when he does he needs to keep moving more forward than sideways or backwards for then it would put more pressure on the D and get more positive yards. There are too many times he runs toward the sideline when he could run forward and when he does, the defenders are just too fast and the passing windows close quick and the sideline becomes the 3rd defender.

He and the coaches also need to take better advantage of his uncanny ability to draw defenders off-sides. It seems like he's done that with a hard count at least once in every game. That's a free play! Why not take a chance throwing the ball downfield -- even if it's into double coverage? It seems like every time he does this, the team is content with the 5-yard penalty -- and just hands it off to Willis...

Back to the topic, I hope he watched Romo or even Vick and see how they used their feet to keep plays alive and the chains moving.

822778[/snapback]

The problem is the moment he does that people on this board will cry that JP is holding on to the ball TOO long and should have got rid of the ball.

The solution is to fix the pass blocking situation so that Losman doesn't HAVE to run to stay alive. This means two tight ends and keeping a second back to hold back the rush for now...and hope Evans can find a way to get open. Also means more reliance on the run game.

if we get to where we are relying on JP's running to win games...we're pretty well at the bottom of the heap.

The problem is the moment he does that people on this board will cry that JP is holding on to the ball TOO long and should have got rid of the ball.

822937[/snapback]

You are right as he will never win with those types until we start winning and/or JP starts to produce big numbers. But anayway, if he were to step up in the pocket more, move forward whenever possible instead of holding the ball, waiting for a receiver to get open and if not then either moving backwards or sideways he would play more pressure on the D for instead of them just rolling with him, clogging his passing lanes they would have to make quicker decisions for if not he would just take off and run and pick up a few yards here or there. If they stay back there is a chance a receiver who may break open deep like Roscoe did in the Lions game JP could hit him for a big gain. On that play JP still could have ran for a 5 yard pickup if Roscoe hadn't broken open deep.

The solution is to fix the pass blocking situation so that Losman doesn't HAVE to run to stay alive.  This means two tight ends and keeping a second back to hold back the rush for now...and hope Evans can find a way to get open.  Also means more reliance on the run game.

if we get to where we are relying on JP's running to win games...we're pretty well at the bottom of the heap.

822948[/snapback]

But if we keep everybody in their blocking while the D isn't blitzing then there would be nobody open to throw the ball to and he would just be holding onto the ball waiting and getting smashed!

But if we keep everybody in their blocking while the D isn't blitzing then there would be nobody open to throw the ball to and he would just be holding onto the ball waiting and getting smashed!

822952[/snapback]

As opposed to just plain getting smashed before anyone can get open and before he can get the ball off?

What I see happening (and why I've been pushing for Jason Whitten a few years back in the draft) is the tight end being a decoy and possible passing option in addition to blocking. Some passes and screens to receivers, and yes..occassionally having JP run. Until we get an effective pass blocking offensive line we ought to scrap the wide receivers with the exception of Evans.

As opposed to just plain getting smashed before anyone can get open and before he can get the ball off? 

What I see happening (and why I've been pushing for Jason Whitten a few years back in the draft) is the tight end being a decoy and possible passing option in addition to blocking.  Some passes and screens to receivers, and yes..occassionally having JP run.  Until we get an effective pass blocking offensive line we ought to scrap the wide receivers with the exception of Evans.

822960[/snapback]

IIRC, Tenny, the Bills did have an interest in Witten, but DAL grabbed him before the Bills selection rolled around.

It would as you say, have been a good selection.

IIRC, Tenny, the Bills did have an interest in Witten, but DAL grabbed him before the Bills selection rolled around.

It would as you say, have been a good selection.

822968[/snapback]

I was shocked he was the 63rd or 64th pick...no way he would have made it to 94th..i'd have gone for him with the Chris Kelsay pick. I think if we'd have made that pick Bledsoe would have had another pro bowl and we would have made the playoffs.

I was shocked he was the 63rd or 64th pick...no way he would have made it to 94th..i'd have gone for him with the Chris Kelsay pick.  I think if we'd have made that pick Bledsoe would have had another pro bowl and we would have made the playoffs.

822972[/snapback]

That is quite a gap. Dallas Clark would have been a nice acquisition, also.

I think if we'd have made that pick Bledsoe would have had another pro bowl and we would have made the playoffs.

822972[/snapback]

Maybe. But unless we have good blocking from the primary OL, the TE will never get downfield and be open for the pass. Our failure to involve the TE in the passing game is restricted as the TE has been the supplementary blocker or kept back in max-protect schemes.

I think if we'd have made that pick Bledsoe would have had another pro bowl and we would have made the playoffs.

822972[/snapback]

You mean like Bledsoe made the Pro-Bowl last year with Witten as his TE or how he got benched this year with Witten as his TE?

What I see happening (and why I've been pushing for Jason Whitten a few years back in the draft) is the tight end being a decoy and possible passing option in addition to blocking.  Some passes and screens to receivers, and yes..occassionally having JP run.  Until we get an effective pass blocking offensive line we ought to scrap the wide receivers with the exception of Evans.

822960[/snapback]

The only way we win with max protection is against a defense that blitzes a lot and leave their DB's on an island to play man to man. Believe me; we don't max protect that much and we shouldn't unless we face a heavy blitzing scheme. There is no way 2 WR can consistely get open against 7 defenders dropped into coverage. Now I agree that we should get the TE's more involed in the passing game and also give JP some bigger targets at WR.

The only way we win with max protection is against a defense that blitzes a lot and leave their DB's on an island to play man to man. Believe me; we don't max protect that much and we shouldn't unless we face a heavy blitzing scheme. There is no way 2 WR can consistely get open against 7 defenders dropped into coverage. Now I agree that we should get the TE's more involed in the passing game and also give JP some bigger targets at WR.

823031[/snapback]

nah..I think Bledsoe had another good year in him with a team he was familiar with, and with Whitten, Moulds and coverage he could have had a very successful (maybe pro bowl) season. He didn't play all that badly for Dallas, a new (and not awfully good) team. Does he have the skills in the last two years that he showed for the decade before? nope..but I don't think even Jim Kelly could have played like Jim Kelly forever. The Drewster may be a little over-ripe for retirement.

I say go with the max protect offense until the defense over reacts to it, and we'll have plays that attack them when they do. Using Willis as an occassional flankerback on a line of scrimmage call, the use of our "Whitten" tight end on occassional long passing routes, and our running game would kind of limit the defense. I'm not describing the ideal offense, just the one that best hides our most glaring weakness.

The coaches and JP himself are not taking advantage enough of JPs running ability.  Roll him out more, design a few QB runs.  JP, dont be afraid to run if no one's open.  Its good to do everyone once in a while.

Id like to see JP take off 6 to 7 times a game.  He needs to play *his* game.

822719[/snapback]

After watching the likes of Brady and Manning execute their offenses. I see no chance JP will ever to be able to execute the offense at any level of consistency. Also I heard Tirico say on MNF that Belichick said that Brady is the hardest working player he has ever coached and Belichick has been in the NFL for 36+ years. Do any Bills fans think that JP puts in as much time effort as Brady or Peyton. JP is a joke and I am growing tired of him