Bruins - Canadians 1979 game seven

millbank

Game ripped my guts out. The Bruins worked like hell Cherry's lunch bucket gang.

Me I was 39  :P

822715[/snapback]

Heh. The Canadians always got the worst out of the Bruins. Even when the Bruins were 1st or 2nd a few years ago, we still beat them in 6... and the best was I was there to watch it live :P

Heh.  The Canadians always got the worst out of the Bruins.  Even when the Bruins were 1st or 2nd a few years ago, we still beat them in 6... and the best was I was there to watch it live :P

822716[/snapback]

dont worry tomorrow I will post one of Canadians being taken care of... :P

dont worry tomorrow I will post one of Canadians being taken care of... :P

822718[/snapback]

Is there one :lol:

I hate the Bruins. To me the moment I remember the most growing up watching hockey was the famous "power failure" during one of the games vs the Oilers in the finals. I still remember Ron Maclean (i believe) saying, "oh my God folks, and it looks like it's lights out in the Boston Garden". Funny thing was, the Bruins still lost the next game :P.

Heh.  The Canadians always got the worst out of the Bruins.  Even when the Bruins were 1st or 2nd a few years ago, we still beat them in 6... and the best was I was there to watch it live :D

822716[/snapback]

I believe the 1970-71 playoffs that Ken Dryden single handidly beat the vastly superior Bruins in the quarter finals. He completely stole the series. Maybe the best goaltending display in NHL history. Maybe only surpassed by Tretiaks performances against Team Canada and various NHL teams when they toured. Anyway, this was the Bruins were all that when they had Orr, Esposito, Hodge, Cheevers and so on.

I believe the 1970-71 playoffs that Ken Dryden single handidly beat the vastly superior Bruins in the quarter finals. He completely stole the series. Maybe the best goaltending display in NHL history. Maybe only surpassed by Tretiaks performances against Team Canada and various NHL teams when they toured. Anyway, this was the Bruins were all that when they had Orr, Esposito, Hodge, Cheevers and so on.

823465[/snapback]

It's a true rivalry. Too bad I wasn't around to see it.

In the Fifties, Bruins - Canadians, remember a series every game went into overtime Montreal won in five games. These days the mess on the nets was baggy and cut easily. Montreal won one game in overtime by puck being pushed in through back of net. Another game Boston scored winner but puck went through the net. Photos the next day showed arrow at hole in net puck going through. I always though the Bruins got screwed. From then on into the mid sixties the Bruins were a non playoff team, its wasnt until they started to get stocked with Hap Emms Niagara Falls Flyers, Awry, Westfall, Marcotte, Sanderson. into the mid sixties Bruin fans waited for a young guy from Oshawa generals Bobby Orr. From many years of being bad in a few years they did become very good, finally winning a cup in 1970, I had waited 30 years for this and still waited for these Bruins to even the score of the fifties Bruins. I remember the Canadians bringing up Dryden late in the season. How tall he was, how he leaned on his stick in between plays. Dryden was great, but a bigger reason these Bruins lost was they were a bunch of guys who liked party , they lost to a hungry team with great goalie. These Bruins could have been the best ever, they won two cups but could have won many, many more. To this day the Bruins havent evened the score of the fifties Bruins I remember, Grapes gang was so close , this hurt me just about as much as wide right.

In the Fifties, Bruins - Canadians, remember a series every game went into overtime Montreal won in five games.  These days the mess on the nets was baggy and cut easily.  Montreal won one game in overtime by puck being pushed in through back of net. Another game Boston scored winner but puck went through the net.  Photos the next day showed arrow at hole in net puck going through.  I always though the Bruins got screwed. From then on into the mid sixties the Bruins were a non playoff team, its wasnt until they started to get stocked with Hap Emms Niagara Falls Flyers, Awry, Westfall, Marcotte, Sanderson. into the mid sixties Bruin fans waited for a young guy from Oshawa generals  Bobby Orr.  From many years of being bad in a few years they did become very good, finally winning a cup in 1970, I had waited 30 years for this and still waited for these Bruins to even the score of the fifties Bruins.  I remember the Canadians bringing up Dryden late in the season.  How tall he was, how he leaned on his stick in between plays.  Dryden was great, but a bigger reason these Bruins lost was they were a bunch of guys who liked party , they lost to a hungry team with great goalie.  These Bruins could have been the best ever, they won two cups but could have won many, many more.  To this day the Bruins havent evened the score of the fifties Bruins I remember, Grapes gang was so close , this hurt me just about as much as wide right.

823482[/snapback]

Cool. I was listening to a radio show the other day in which they were asking older hockey analysts and reporters who the greatest NHL player of all time is. Most of the guys in my age group went with Gretzky/Lemieux but the rest came to a unanimous decision that it was Bobby Orr. I really wish I could have watched him play. No doubt must have been a thrill.

Anyway, I respect any hockey fan. It's a great sport in a great continent.

In the Fifties, Bruins - Canadians, remember a series every game went into overtime Montreal won in five games.  These days the mess on the nets was baggy and cut easily.  Montreal won one game in overtime by puck being pushed in through back of net. Another game Boston scored winner but puck went through the net.  Photos the next day showed arrow at hole in net puck going through.  I always though the Bruins got screwed. From then on into the mid sixties the Bruins were a non playoff team, its wasnt until they started to get stocked with Hap Emms Niagara Falls Flyers, Awry, Westfall, Marcotte, Sanderson. into the mid sixties Bruin fans waited for a young guy from Oshawa generals  Bobby Orr.  From many years of being bad in a few years they did become very good, finally winning a cup in 1970, I had waited 30 years for this and still waited for these Bruins to even the score of the fifties Bruins.  I remember the Canadians bringing up Dryden late in the season.  How tall he was, how he leaned on his stick in between plays.  Dryden was great, but a bigger reason these Bruins lost was they were a bunch of guys who liked party , they lost to a hungry team with great goalie.  These Bruins could have been the best ever, they won two cups but could have won many, many more.  To this day the Bruins havent evened the score of the fifties Bruins I remember, Grapes gang was so close , this hurt me just about as much as wide right.

823482[/snapback]

I was only a very young guy then (11) so I cant remember the Bruins being partiers. I probably thought they meant birthday party or something. Anyway, can you remember this from the series Cherry lost?At least, im pretty sure its from that one.

I was only a very young guy then (11) so I cant remember the Bruins being partiers. I probably thought they meant birthday party or something. Anyway, can you remember this from the series Cherry lost?At least, im pretty sure its from that one.

823508[/snapback]

Yes I remember it well. This was the turn of the series and having talked to Grapes he agrees. The Bruins we killing the Canadians. I think up 5-0. Wensik and Jonathan and the Bruin then punched them out. But at end of fiight Reisbrough wanting to stand up for his team and show they were not beaten challenged Jonathan to fight him. Reisbrough waving his hands all the Canadians watching, Jonathan and Bruins just pointed score board and laughed at him. The Bruins won that game, but only 6-5 and by the skin of their teeth. The Bruins had beaten them in every which way, but had Jonathan taken care of Reisbrough, Bruins win that series. When you get you foot on a teams neck you got to break it. Reisbrough by standing up, picked up his guys.