Nate Clements Touted #3 Top Free Agent ...

We might have a "gazillion" dollars under the cap to throw, but Ralph has only limited "real" cash to throw at FAs.

822919[/snapback]

How can you say that? We have been AT or OVER the salary cap for many years.

Now people, PLEASE GIVE ME A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN SOMETHING. If your one of those who think we should let Nate go so we can use the money to get "quality" lineman then do this.

1. Find what FA's will be available this year and next (NOT RFA's)

2. Find ANY quality lineman that WONT be re-signed by their team

3. Realize that in the next 2 years their will probably only be about 2-3 good lineman to bid for.

AND WE ARE PROBABLY NOT A TEAM A PLAYER WANTS TO COME TO! We are a bad team and WE HAVE A HISTORY OF LETTING PLAYERS GO WHEN THEY WANT MORE MONEY! Why would a FA want to go to a team that lets go of every player who wants a pay raise? (Winfield, P. Williams, T. Washington, Moulds, now Clements ... etc)

So before you say we could use Clement's money towards other players again, please do the 3 steps above and realize how foolish it sounds.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also. It wouldnt cost us 7 million against the cap if it was worked out right ... it could cost us as little as 4-5 mill/year.

823011[/snapback]

:angry::P:P

Nate is on record as claiming that he wants ot be the highest paid CB, and his production level/talent is no where near that.

Currently, the highest paid CB is Champ at 7 years 63 mil. Nate will want at least 50 million, and he's not worth it. He's worth 4-5 mil per season, maybe, maybe, maaaaaybe 6 mil per. But no way is he near the 7-9 mil that he's goign to want.

If he'll play for 5 mil per, re-sign him. When he wants his 50+ mil, tell him to walk and let some other team pay it. You dont sign ludicrous contracts just because you have the cap space.

You dont sign ludicrous contracts just because you have the cap space.

823026[/snapback]

You damn well better do something with the cap space. If the choice is overpaying for Nate Clements or having an extra $7 - 8 million in unused cap room, I say overpay him. It's not my money.

:angry:  :P  :P

Nate is on record as claiming that he wants ot be the highest paid CB, and his production level/talent is no where near that.

Currently, the highest paid CB is Champ at 7 years 63 mil. Nate will want at least 50 million, and he's not worth it. He's worth 4-5 mil per season, maybe, maybe, maaaaaybe 6 mil per. But no way is he near the 7-9 mil that he's goign to want.

If he'll play for 5 mil per, re-sign him. When he wants his 50+ mil, tell him to walk and let some other team pay it. You dont sign ludicrous contracts just because you have the cap space.

823026[/snapback]

We could give him 7 mill a year and have it only count as 4-5 mill/year on the cap

You damn well better do something with the cap space.  If the choice is overpaying for Nate Clements or having an extra $7 - 8 million in unused cap room, I say overpay him.  It's not my money.

823039[/snapback]

EXACTLY

1. Find what FA's will be available this year and next (NOT RFA's)

2. Find ANY quality lineman that WONT be re-signed by their team

3. Realize that in the next 2 years their will probably only be about 2-3 good lineman to bid for.

823021[/snapback]

Because all good players get resigned by their teams, right?

:angry:

No its just kinda common sense. I mean of course anything could happen. But its like saying the Chargers have may let Ladanian Tomlinson go to free agency ... of course their is a chance once his FA year comes, but it is very unlikely.

823066[/snapback]

Seeing as how there haven't been any 2007 cap space projections for the entire league that I know of, and there haven't been any rumblings about salary increase demands, its rather hard for it to be common sense at the moment.

No, I mean a team-by-team analysis, since salaries increase each year and how a team looks against the cap changes big time from year to year.

823081[/snapback]

Yeah and they *usually* dont let go off quality lineman ... most teams would rather get rid of WR's/skill players who have large cap space (ie: Moulds for us)

We could give him 7 mill a year and have it only count as 4-5 mill/year on the cap

823053[/snapback]

yah for the first few years...they it would quickly escalate into the 8-9, 10-12 mil per year range cap hit. Remember what butler did in the late 90's? Backloading contracts is NOT the way to go.

yah for the first few years...they it would quickly escalate into the 8-9, 10-12 mil per year range cap hit. Remember what butler did in the late 90's? Backloading contracts is NOT the way to go.

823087[/snapback]

Oh yeah. Those were the years we made the playoffs ... wait a second. What other teams do that? Oh yeah Colts (perennial playoffs), KC (perennial playoffs), Giants, Panthers (recent SB), Broncos, Ravens, and Falcons .. all around 10 mill or less per season.

823053[/snapback]

Uhmmm, Yeah, and how does that work again without the Bills still having him count against the cap 10 years after he is off the team?????

I'm going to try to explain this, If I may a mistake, can someone let me know, maybe I just don't understand the cap.

For example, lets say the Bills feel generous and think Nate can turn it around and he agrees to a contract of $25 mil for 5 years (I know he wouldn't accept this but lets pretend) with a $15 mil signing bonus. (P.s. I made it easier to follow by using numbers that work together well) So according to my knowledge his cap figure would be 8 million a year for 5 years (breaking it down it would be his salary, $5 mil a year for five years, and his signing bonus spread accross the length of contract being $3 mil a season)

Now how is it possible to give him a larger amount per year then what he counts against the cap without having him still count after he is gone?

Yeah and they *usually* dont let go off quality lineman ... most teams would rather get rid of WR's/skill players who have large cap space (ie: Moulds for us)

823083[/snapback]

Yeah, just like Bentley, Hutchinson, Shaffer, Steussie, Ashworth, Fonoti, Flanagan, and Hartwig did last year. :angry:

P.S. according to TheRedZone most teams have between 10 million - 35 million in free cap space.

823086[/snapback]

Thats this year's cap, not next year. Those numbers can fluctuate by a ton from year to year.