Nate Clements Touted #3 Top Free Agent ...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a lot better than people give him credit for. He's not making the plays and yes he gets toasted every now and then, but it's becoming clear that McGee isn't the solution and it just goes to show how valuable Nate Clements really is to this team. Just ask yourself, as bad as this defense has been, where would we be without Clements this season?

He's a lot better than people give him credit for. He's not making the plays and yes he gets toasted every now and then, but it's becoming clear that McGee isn't the solution and it just goes to show how valuable Nate Clements really is to this team. Just ask yourself, as bad as this defense has been, where would we be without Clements this season?

822465[/snapback]

comparing any DB to McGee would make them look good this year. It's become clear McGee is best used as a kick returner -- better than Roscoe in my opinion -- and a nickel back in obvious pass situations. Clements gets burned far too often to be considered a top DB. The only reason teams don't throw more on Clements is because McGee is so clueless rather than Clements being so good ... because quite frankly he's just average.

If Clements weren't demanding so much money he's be a great corner to have around, he's not the top notch corner he claims to be, but he's still a solid reliable corner.

I've noticed McGee hasn't been as good on kick off returns, maybe it's just me though. Wouldn't mind seeing him go back to the nickel which would likely make him more effective on kickoffs.

Of course, if Clements leaves, we're in a real mess.

Those FAs could change us.....the problem is there are 31 other teams that will be vying for their services.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we land a FA OLB. Thomas, Briggs & June are all tops with Briggs & June already playing in an equivalent system to us.

The dream FA at this point would have to be OG Steinbach. Even if we over-payed for him I would be as happy as something that is happy in something that it likes to be in.

With luck, CB Samuel will be available at a reasonable price & we can let Clemments be over-payed elsewhere. The good thing is we will have a gazillion dollars under the cap to throw at some of these FAs.

where is daq? isnt he insulted by now? lol

822509[/snapback]

Insulting would be losing clements and spending money on 2nd tier free agents while moving terrence mcgee and kiwaukee thomas as our top 2 corners. It would be insulting as a fan when that money could go towards keeping a good cb, and still getting depth in free agency.

Losing Clements will be a problem, particularly with McGee's recent struggles. Any replacement cb of the caliber of Clements will require spending big money in free agency or using a first round pick on a cb.

Losing Clements without receiving anything in return really hurts. He will not be franchised next year and I don't see the Bills re-signing him at this point.

I think McGee has struggle more playing this Tampa 2 zone coverage than playing more man to man as it seems to leave him on an island playing 5 yards off a receiver which makes him susceptible to double moves.

.... please someone take him off our hands right now!!!! 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApRz...=yhoo&type=lgns

822460[/snapback]

What a dumb post. Are you serious? Someone please tkae him off our hands right now? He is the LEAST of our problems and one of the only good players on our team. Let me guess ... your one of the guys who wants us to get rid of every player on our team who is in a contract year and wants to get paid a lot of money ... because we all know their is a plethora of great FA's who want to come to Buffalo and play for half of what he wants. :P

Clements is a valuable player on the defence and it will hurt the team to lose him, but HE IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY HE WANTS. He is not playing like a top CB but yet he wants top CB money. He demonstarted this last year and now again this year. If he were to take a paycut for a multi year contract (it won't happen) he would be worth keeping. But right now the money could be used better elsewhere and go with a more reasonable priced CB.

Unless Nate steps it up and starts playing like a top level CB, I say let him go and underachieve for some other team.

But right now the money could be used better elsewhere and go with a more reasonable priced CB.

822653[/snapback]

Until someone can show me who we are going to pick up with 30 million of free cap space, and very few free agents available this year, I will convinced that you and others have no idea what your talking about.

Keep Nate Clements = 20-23 million in free cap space

Drop Nate Clements = 27-30 million in free cap space

Either way we have tons of room and will end up starting the season with over 10-15 million of free cap space still open.

So we should just overpay for Nate and possibly cause cap problems down the road, just so the Bills won't have cap space left at the start of the year.

822660[/snapback]

If we have cap problems in a few years after we had 20-23 million in free cap space this year, then our GM has problems. Thats all. Nate Clements 4 mill against the cap is not going to cause any problems.

I hope so.

822666[/snapback]

Your really building a reputation for your short answers that have absolutely zero reason behind them.

If we have cap problems in a few years after we had 20-23 million in free cap space this year, then our GM has problems. Thats all. Nate Clements 4 mill against the cap is not going to cause any problems.

822671[/snapback]

Isn't Nate making almost double that? Do you seriously think his annual salary and signing bonus will only cost us 4 mil a year????

Not always.  It depends on the topic at hand.  Sometimes you don't need to say much to get your point/opinion across.

822675[/snapback]

Sometimes I wish you would. Every topic on Nate Clements you always say "get rid of him" or something like that but give absolutely no reason as to why. I post about 15 points as to why we should keep him and you respond with "get rid of him."

No wonder you find your senior year of HS hard. :P

Isn't Nate making almost double that? Do you seriously think his annual salary and signing bonus will only cost us 4 mil a year????

822677[/snapback]

Structure + Signing Bonus lowers what would be a huge salary cap number.

Sometimes I wish you would. Every topic on Nate Clements you always say "get rid of him" or something like that but give absolutely no reason as to why. I post about 15 points as to why we should keep him and you respond with "get rid of him."

No wonder you find your senior year of HS hard.  :P

822678[/snapback]

very funny. :P

But Clements as far as I've seen has not live up to expectations. I'll give him that he's proved this year that he's a better cornerback than McGee, but it seems like at the most critcal moments of a game, he blows his coverage.