Do We need a FB?

Frez

Watching the GT game yesterday, I was really impressed by Michael Cox. Kid just has a nose for making the key block.

Leonard is a rusher first and foremost and would have to learn to block. I don't think we have that luxury. As a reserve RB, tho, I think he could be a change-up to Willis, kind of a Bettis-type back.

Why do people insist that we need help at useless postions like safety and centre? Yeah, Lets upgrade the Fullback position when our run defense is horrible!

819875[/snapback]

Dude, he probably won't go until the 4th round or so. I'm just giving a plug to a local boy.

Dude, he probably won't go until the 4th round or so. I'm just giving a plug to a local boy.

819879[/snapback]

You, took that good. I think Bills have many people down in the dumps right now. As I see it DT and LT have to be huge priorities in the off-season. Unless of course Peters works out at LT. I just think positions like safety, interior o-linemen and middle linebacker are easier to fill later in the draft.

819879[/snapback]

Yep. Rare indeed for a FB to be picked earlier than 8 p.m. on Day 2. Especially these days, in the NFL.

But holy sh--, watching the college games you get a sense of what a real running game could do for Buffalo. Imagine having 3rd&2 and being confident we can pick it up easily. We haven't had that attitude here since Sam Gash. MrLocke, you talk of 'useless positions' and I can comiserate, but FB is exactly one of those unsexy positions that doesn't get the credit it's due. With 2 spots, RB & FB, it addresses what should be about 65% of our offense.

You, took that good. I think Bills have many people down in the dumps right now. As I see it DT and LT have to be huge priorities in the off-season. Unless of course Peters works out at LT. I just think positions like safety, interior o-linemen and middle linebacker are easier to fill later in the draft.

819885[/snapback]

I agree with you 100%. <_<

Yep. Rare indeed for a FB to be picked earlier than 8 p.m. on Day 2. Especially these days, in the NFL.

But holy sh--, watching the college games you get a sense of what a real running game could do for Buffalo. Imagine having 3rd&2 and being confident we can pick it up easily. We haven't had that attitude here since Sam Gash. MrLocke, you talk of 'useless positions' and I can comiserate, but FB is exactly one of those unsexy positions that doesn't get the credit it's due. With 2 spots, RB & FB, it addresses what should be about 65% of our offense.

819894[/snapback]

What would you rather a book end LT or a fullback. I don't believe you can just lump together FB and HB like you are doing. They are two different positions. I'll bet if you look at the good fullbacksw many of them were late round picks, if they were even drafted.

What would you rather a book end LT or a fullback. I don't believe you can just lump together FB and HB like you are doing. They are two different positions. I'll bet if you look at the good fullbacksw many of them were late round picks, if they were even drafted.

819904[/snapback]

You mean.... like I stated in the first sentence of that post? <_<

Not saying that the RB and FB are the only guys out there, but a great pairing sure can make a difference. GT was playing Miami and Cox was playing like a man on fire for his RB. He singlehandedly opened a 3 foot hole on a TD by taking two guys out at the same time. Blue chip pick, surely not; he'll be lucky to be drafted. But a guy like that can be a solid contributor. And Shelton isn't getting any better or younger.

819904[/snapback]

Is anyone saying draft a FB early in the draft?

The best blocking FB coming out of college (IMO) last year didn't even get drafted (Bernstein). I was hoping they would look at him in the 6th or 7th round, but it didn't happen. Maybe next year they can look at that position as a need.

don't draft a fullback.  I don't know any in college that are even good.

820047[/snapback]

See, here's the thing though. You can draft any other position in the 6th or 7th round and a guy that will almost definately not amount to anything. At very best it's a complete crapshoot.

Or you can draft a FB and probably get one of the top 3 guys coming out of college.

See, here's the thing though.  You can draft any other position in the 6th or 7th round and a guy that will almost definately not amount to anything.  At very best it's a complete crapshoot.

Or you can draft a FB and probably get one of the top 3 guys coming out of college.

820050[/snapback]

The highest FB pick recently, IIRC, was Western Kentucky's Jeremi Johnson, the B'gal's second pick of the 4th round in 2003. Fine blocker, poor runner, decent hands - passed to rarely, and almost exclusively as a safety valve. He was re-signed this season to the league's highest FB salary.

One could I suppose include CAR's #2 in 2005 - Louisville RB Eric Shelton, because of his 6'1", 246 lb. size.