NBC rejects ad for Dixie Chicks film

Tux of Borg

The ad includes footage of the Iraq War, gives a brief background on Maines' 2003 comment made onstage in London, and shows Maines dismissing as "dumb'' a comment made by Bush about the Dixie Chicks.

The Dixie Chicks are again at the centre of a controversy over the limits of voicing a controversial opinion.

A film company said Friday that NBC would not accept an adverti######t for "Shut Up & Sing,'' a movie about the fuss created by Dixie Chick Natalie Maines' comment that she was ashamed President George W. Bush was a fellow Texan. The network suggested the complaint may be a publicity stunt.

The movie opens this weekend in New York and Los Angeles, and network affiliates in both those cities have run ads promoting it, according to the Weinstein Co., which is distributing the film.

The problem arose when the Weinstein Co. began conversations with networks about buying ads to be shown nationally, in anticipation of later wider release of the film.

The ad includes footage of the Iraq War, gives a brief background on Maines' 2003 comment made onstage in London, and shows Maines dismissing as "dumb'' a comment made by Bush about the Dixie Chicks.

CBS has agreed to air the ad, a spokeswoman for the Weinstein Co. said. ABC and Fox have not given an answer while the CW and NBC rejected it. The film distributors said NBC explained it was because the ad disparaged Bush.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dixie Chicks are again at the centre of a controversy over the limits of voicing a controversial opinion.

A film company said Friday that NBC would not accept an adverti######t for "Shut Up & Sing,'' a movie about the fuss created by Dixie Chick Natalie Maines' comment that she was ashamed President George W. Bush was a fellow Texan. The network suggested the complaint may be a publicity stunt.

The movie opens this weekend in New York and Los Angeles, and network affiliates in both those cities have run ads promoting it, according to the Weinstein Co., which is distributing the film.

The problem arose when the Weinstein Co. began conversations with networks about buying ads to be shown nationally, in anticipation of later wider release of the film.

CBS has agreed to air the ad, a spokeswoman for the Weinstein Co. said. ABC and Fox have not given an answer while the CW and NBC rejected it. The film distributors said NBC explained it was because the ad disparaged Bush.

819517[/snapback]

Hrm. If they're willing to pay for the spot and aren't breaking any regulations... what's the problem?

In a related story... "People with Good Taste in Music Reject Dixie Chicks"

Seriously, they were the country music version of the Spice Girls when they came out. Hooray for girl power or whatever, but just please shut the !@#$ up.

In a related story... "People with Good Taste in Music Reject Dixie Chicks"

Seriously, they were the country music version of the Spice Girls when they came out.  Hooray for girl power or whatever, but just please shut the !@#$ up.

819524[/snapback]

Sorry Silver, your a smart kid, but you obviously don't know much about music! Go back to making honey while listening to your Mandy Moore records...

As for NBC refusing to air the ads because they "disparing to the president"...what a laugh! Don't they still air the nightly news on NBC? What could be more disparinging to George W Bush, than the truth?

I actually used to enjoy their music, but I found this whole ordeal pretty damn annoying. Obviously there are plenty of celebrities who have differing viewpoints than Bush, but Natalie Maines acts like a 14 y.o. girl who's mad at a boy for saying something 'mean' about her (even though she started it :lol: ). I think the whole thing is just ridiculous, and now she's had enough of a lashing from fans that she can play the role of the victim.

I actually used to enjoy their music, but I found this whole ordeal pretty damn annoying. Obviously there are plenty of celebrities who have differing viewpoints than Bush, but Natalie Maines acts like a 14 y.o. girl who's mad at a boy for saying something 'mean' about her (even though she started it :lol: ). I think the whole thing is just ridiculous, and now she's had enough of a lashing from fans that she can play the role of the victim.

819586[/snapback]

Actually, the backlash that the Dixie Chicks received was far more media driven than music buying public driven. You, and many others, may not like what Maines said (and it was fairly harmless when you think about it), but the absurd reaction to it, IMO, was far more despicable.

The fundamentally conservative Clear Channel radio, who own a vast majority of the country radio stations across the US, in effect, banned them. How patriotic and American! I think the reaction by the right was far more childish than Maines reaction. She wasn't making death threats toward anyone.

What could be more disparinging to George W Bush, than the truth?

819579[/snapback]

Well, Monica Lewinski, Kathleen Willey, lying to a grand jury, legislation that made it official US policy to out Saddam Hussein, Enron, Global Crossing, Tyco, Jaunita Broderick, Whitewater, Casa Grande, Vince Foster, Elian Gonzales, 1st Trade Center boming, Oklahoma City, Ron Brown, Ruby Ridge, Waco, Paula Jones, USS Cole, Khobar Towers, Bruce Babbitt, knuckling under to N. Korea, "I have no specific recollection...", etc. would get him up to Bill's standards. :lol:

Actually, the backlash that the Dixie Chicks received was far more media driven than music buying public driven.  You, and many others, may not like what Maines said (and it was fairly harmless when you think about it), but the absurd reaction to it, IMO, was far more despicable.

The fundamentally conservative Clear Channel radio, who own a vast majority of the country radio stations across the US, in effect, banned them.  How patriotic and American!  I think the reaction by the right was far more childish than Maines reaction.  She wasn't making death threats toward anyone.

819600[/snapback]

I respect your view, I just feel the whole thing was juvenile to begin with. You've got some celebrities like Clooney who, while I typically disagree with his politics, tend to be relatively educated on the issues and don't embarrass themselves when they go about promoting their viewpoints. Then you've got other celebrities who are completely clueless and seemingly detached from reality who just go around saying stupid sh*t. She just came off like a spoiled little girl to me, I guess....while I certainly would never wish any harm to come to her, I tend to agree with the suggestion that she shut up and sing :lol:

Well, Monica Lewinski, Kathleen Willey, lying to a grand jury, legislation that made it official US policy to out Saddam Hussein, Enron, Global Crossing, Tyco, Jaunita Broderick, Whitewater, Casa Grande, Vince Foster, Elian Gonzales, 1st Trade Center boming, Oklahoma City, Ron Brown, Ruby Ridge, Waco, Paula Jones, USS Cole, Khobar Towers, Bruce Babbitt, knuckling under to N. Korea, "I have no specific recollection...", etc. would get him up to Bill's standards.  :lol:

819612[/snapback]

Geesh, it really is quite a bit when you put it that way :P

Well, Monica Lewinski, Kathleen Willey, lying to a grand jury, legislation that made it official US policy to out Saddam Hussein, Enron, Global Crossing, Tyco, Jaunita Broderick, Whitewater, Casa Grande, Vince Foster, Elian Gonzales, 1st Trade Center boming, Oklahoma City, Ron Brown, Ruby Ridge, Waco, Paula Jones, USS Cole, Khobar Towers, Bruce Babbitt, knuckling under to N. Korea, "I have no specific recollection...", etc. would get him up to Bill's standards.  :P

819612[/snapback]

So, sound bites are bad, unless your side uses them? :lol:

Actually, the backlash that the Dixie Chicks received was far more media driven than music buying public driven. You, and many others, may not like what Maines said (and it was fairly harmless when you think about it), but the absurd reaction to it, IMO, was far more despicable.

Have a look at their ticket sales and album sales in the U.S. The backlash appears to be very "buying public" driven.

Well, Monica Lewinski, Kathleen Willey, lying to a grand jury, legislation that made it official US policy to out Saddam Hussein, Enron, Global Crossing, Tyco, Jaunita Broderick, Whitewater, Casa Grande, Vince Foster, Elian Gonzales, 1st Trade Center boming, Oklahoma City, Ron Brown, Ruby Ridge, Waco, Paula Jones, USS Cole, Khobar Towers, Bruce Babbitt, knuckling under to N. Korea, "I have no specific recollection...", etc. would get him up to Bill's standards.  :lol:

819612[/snapback]

Will all due respect Cincy, spare me the Clinton bashing. It's obvious you don't care for him, but the retard party hardly has any moral or ethical high ground over the dummycrats.

Some of what Buftex was referring to has to deal with anyone who speaks out against this administration publicaly is then character assinated by this administration through Fox or Clear Channel or any of their other outlets.

Will all due respect Cincy, spare me the Clinton bashing.  It's obvious you don't care for him, but the retard party hardly has any moral or ethical high ground over the dummycrats.

Some of what Buftex was referring to has to deal with anyone who speaks out against this administration publicaly is then character assinated by this administration through Fox or Clear Channel or any of their other outlets.

819669[/snapback]

Well, it sems it's Fox and Clear Channel vs. CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, Washington Post, NY Times (I remember their weak, more-or-less apology after hounding Rove for a few years and it turned out to be their buddy Armitage), LA Times, CBS (remember their phony Bush Nat'l guard docs that toppled Dan Rather), most universities, most any city newspaper in towns controlled for decades by the Dems, the late Air America.

The assisinations administered by Begala, Carville, Ickes make this crowd look like children.

Hrm. If they're willing to pay for the spot and aren't breaking any regulations... what's the problem?

819520[/snapback]

Because other advertisers who disagree with the message could pull their ads, losing money for NBC.

It's not censorship, it's all about money.

Well, it sems it's Fox and Clear Channel vs. CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, Washington Post, NY Times (I remember their weak, more-or-less apology after hounding Rove for a few years and it turned out to be their buddy Armitage), LA Times, CBS (remember their phony Bush Nat'l guard docs that toppled Dan Rather), most universities, most any city newspaper in towns controlled for decades by the Dems, the late Air America.

The assisinations administered by Begala, Carville, Ickes make this crowd look like children.

819686[/snapback]

FYI, there are more than just Fox and Clear Channel. Furthermore, you are missing the point. Both sides are ethicaly and moraly challenged. Trying to claim one side is superior makes about as much sense as pissing into the wind.

Have a look at their ticket sales and album sales in the U.S. The backlash appears to be very "buying public" driven.

819655[/snapback]

Uh, check out how many copies of their newest album sold, with almost zero country radio airplay! It has sold nearly 2 million copies since June, and is one of the top selling records of 2006. Admitedly, those numbers pale in comparison to the sales of their earlier albums (which all sold in the 5-8 million range), but are numbers most artists would be ecastic with.