Anyone sleep on a platform bed?

ajzepp

I'm going to be moving in with my brother and my niece in the early part of next year, and I'm not going to have quite as much room for things. I have a King size bed on just a metal frame right now, but I'm going to pass this along to family and go with a full instead. I came across these platform bed things and I really like their simplicity and the fact that you don't have to use box springs with them. I used to sleep on a pretty nice futon back when I was going to school and had a studio apartment, so I sort of have an idea of what they're like....but I'm considering buying a simple oak platform bed and then getting another Bragada (www.bragada.com) viscoelastic mattress for it (I've had one for a year and won't go back to a regular mattress). I'm thinking this would be perfect for me, but I wanted to get some other's opinions too.

Anyone have one of these platform beds?

Here's an idea of what I mean just in case: http://www.platformbeds.com/index.php3?cat...3&cart_id=85563

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be moving in with my brother and my niece in the early part of next year, and I'm not going to have quite as much room for things. I have a King size bed on just a metal frame right now, but I'm going to pass this along to family and go with a full instead. I came across these platform bed things and I really like their simplicity and the fact that you don't have to use box springs with them. I used to sleep on a pretty nice futon back when I was going to school and had a studio apartment, so I sort of have an idea of what they're like....but I'm considering buying a simple oak platform bed and then getting another Bragada (www.bragada.com) viscoelastic mattress for it (I've had one for a year and won't go back to a regular mattress). I'm thinking this would be perfect for me, but I wanted to get some other's opinions too.

Here's an idea of what I mean just in case: http://www.platformbeds.com/index.php3?cat...3&cart_id=85563

818783[/snapback]

Opinions about what? It's a friggin' bed.

I used to have one. It didn't survive the move (cheap IKEA pressboard piece of crap.) Like I said...it's a bed.

Opinions about what?  It's a friggin' bed.

I used to have one.  It didn't survive the move (cheap IKEA pressboard piece of crap.)  Like I said...it's a bed.

818790[/snapback]

Okay, I'll put you down for a "no" :P

818783[/snapback]

If there is one thing you should never sacrifice, it's comfortable sleeping arrangements. I've never slept on one of those things but they don't seem very comfortable.

If there is one thing you should never sacrifice, it's comfortable sleeping arrangements.  I've never slept on one of those things but they don't seem very comfortable.

818796[/snapback]

Yeah, that's kind of my concern too. When I had my futon, the futon mattress that came with it was pretty comfortable, and it was a very solid oak frame. So what I'm hoping is that if I get a platform frame that is just as strong, then the mattress I'm going to buy is a whole helluva lot better than that futon pillow thing, which would mean I'd love the bed. It's just been a while since I've slept w/out box springs. I'm planning to pick up bragada's best mattress, which will be a step up from what I have now, but I need for the bed to be very sturdy to make it all work.

The Mission, Sandia, and the El Paso look nice.  0:)

818798[/snapback]

You know my taste :lol: The El Paso and Sandria were the two I was looking at. I'd go with the oak frame, double slats, and extra long full size :P

Yeah, that's kind of my concern too. When I had my futon, the futon mattress that came with it was pretty comfortable, and it was a very solid oak frame. So what I'm hoping is that if I get a platform frame that is just as strong, then the mattress I'm going to buy is a whole helluva lot better than that futon pillow thing, which would mean I'd love the bed. It's just been a while since I've slept w/out box springs. I'm planning to pick up bragada's best mattress, which will be a step up from what I have now, but I need for the bed to be very sturdy to make it all work.

818800[/snapback]

I don't know, my sister has a futon and I slept on it once and I realized then and there I would spend every extra dollar I have on a good comfortable bed. :P

I don't know, my sister has a futon and I slept on it once and I realized then and there I would spend every extra dollar I have on a good comfortable bed. :P

818811[/snapback]

haha, yep, I've had similar experiences....there are good futons out there, but also lots of crap ones. Mine was almost $1k for just the frame, and then I got a 13" mattress for it. It was a really nice sleep most of the time. When I was married we had a nice pillow top mattress, but it was just too soft for me.It felt great when you first went to bed, but by morning I was usually a little sore. I'm a believer in the memory foam beds now, though. I've been sleeping on the Madison model from bragada for a little over a year, and it's great. I researched my arse off last year cause I wanted a tempur-pedic type bed, but one that was more reasonably priced and a bit cooler.

If you are not gonna have much space, why not get a "murphy bed"?

:P  0:)

818813[/snapback]

How cool! I had to google that so I knew what you were talking about.....I've seen those in the movies, but never knew what they were called :lol:

Why you moving in with them? To save money?

818822[/snapback]

I actually moved back home a while back to help with an ill family member, and was planning to move out into an apartment next year, but my brother owns a nice house and could use a little help with the mortgage. He lives in a nice area and it would give me a chance to spend mroe time with my niece. I'm just not the sort of person who likes a lot of 'stuff" around, so I want to try and keep things simple. I'm also really big into home audio and home theater, so I want to have room to set that up :P

:)  :lol:

Fancy beds just lead to lots of little ones running around... :P  0:)

Then again... Where did I go wrong... :lol:  :)

818820[/snapback]

:lol:

all through college..chicks dig it..

818821[/snapback]

If only I'd have known....I was always like, "your place or...your place?"