Remember clocks go back this weekend

millbank

Remember to put your clocks back tomorrow night. Sure has been dark in the mornings lately. :)

818773[/snapback]

Yeah, the dark mornings makes it even harder for me to get up. :lol: I'm looking forward to the extra hour we'll gain even if it's in the middle of the night. :P Why not give it to us during the day? 0:)

hooray, more sleep for school.  Instead of going to bed at 1 in the morning it will be midnight. :P  No more ALMOST falling asleep in class some days.  Senior year in high school is hard.

818828[/snapback]

Enjoy HS while you can! Actually I hated HS...nevermind. 0:) Are you planning on going to college?

Remember to put your clocks back tomorrow night. Sure has been dark in the mornings lately. 0:)

818773[/snapback]

Also, our wonderful government signed a new bill/law/something that changes daylight savings time next year:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html

Supposedly it'll save us power or something...

It'll also make sysadmin life hell, as a lot of servers will need to be updated to make sure they follow the new DST rules. I know for a fact that midrange Sun servers need to be patched, but it can't be done until after Jan 1st. :P Thanks, guys. This'll be a mini-y2k for your sysadmins :lol:

CW

Also, our wonderful government signed a new bill/law/something that changes daylight savings time next year:

It'll also make sysadmin life hell, as a lot of servers will need to be updated to make sure they follow the new DST rules.  I know for a fact that midrange Sun servers need to be patched, but it can't be done until after Jan 1st.  :P  Thanks, guys.  This'll be a mini-y2k for your sysadmins 0:)

CW

818926[/snapback]

Not to mention companies like People Cube wanting you to spend thousands on upgrading software in order to get a patch.

It'll also make sysadmin life hell, as a lot of servers will need to be updated to make sure they follow the new DST rules.  I know for a fact that midrange Sun servers need to be patched, but it can't be done until after Jan 1st.  :P  Thanks, guys.  This'll be a mini-y2k for your sysadmins 0:)

CW

818926[/snapback]

If they keep this up, Daylight savings will be from mid-January to mid-December.

hooray, more sleep for school.  Instead of going to bed at 1 in the morning it will be midnight. :P  No more ALMOST falling asleep in class some days.  Senior year in high school is hard.

818828[/snapback]

WHAT! Senior year is a breeze. All of the tough classes are behind you trig, geometry, math in general) ... senior trip, tons of study halls ... etc

Senior year is a cake walk.

If they keep this up, Daylight savings will be from mid-January to mid-December.

818942[/snapback]

During the war years it was implemented year round...

Actually it was Ben Franklin's idea for saving cost... It just never got implemented till the 20th century...

Never could figure out why the farmers would get so mad... Would they have the easiest time adjusting? So the cows come home an hour later, doesn't it just shift an hour later in the morning... Then again, what do I know...

:P0:)

During the war years it was implemented year round...

Actually it was Ben Franklin's idea for saving cost... It just never got implemented till the 20th century...

Never could figure out why the farmers would get so mad... Would they have the easiest time adjusting?  So the cows come home an hour later, doesn't it just shift an hour later in the morning...  Then again, what do I know...

:P  0:)

818981[/snapback]

You can't harvest crops wet with dew, unless you want them to rot. The Sun dries off the dew. Given that it's better to harvest in daylight, DST makes the farmer wait an hour during the valuble morning time.

And a farmer has other business activities to attend to in the general business world. Getting in some harvesting time at 6 AM while others sleep is desirable.

You can't harvest crops wet with dew, unless you want them to rot. The Sun dries off the dew. Given that it's better to harvest in daylight, DST makes the farmer wait an hour during the valuble morning time.

And a farmer has other business activities to attend to in the general business world. Getting in some harvesting time at 6 AM while others sleep is desirable.

819077[/snapback]

Periods of rainy weather during the past few months has, at times, pressured farmers to store wet hay and put their barns at a risk of hay-generated fires,

Fires blamed on spontaneous combustion of stored wet hay have occurred this summer causing losses of property and livestock. One reported fire erupted when an electrical spark ignited hay dust.

The storage of wet hay is the most common cause of hay fires. When the crop is stored wet, microbial action can generate internal bale temperatures well above 150 degrees . After a certain point of heating from the mold growth, other chemical reactions begin to take place, and it raises the heat to a point where the hay can burn.

In general, hay is considered too wet for storage if moisture levels are higher than 20 percent in small rectangular bales, higher than 18 percent in large round bales, and higher than 16 percent in large square bales.

819077[/snapback]

I see what you are saying... And your first paragraph had me shaking my head... Just adjust their clocks.

When I read your second paragraph... Things made more sense... Then why wouldn't the farming community make adjustments also, just like the farmer is doing?

Then again... This isn't 1896... It is 2006... Things generally, in the business world work 24/7... A freakin' hour? By the time a modern framer polishes off his coffee and donut and hitches him self to his 100's thousand dollar combine, cranks the heat and Lee Greenwood tunes... He (she for the ladies out there) probably only has about 45 minutes anyway... :P:lol:

I can see the resistance years ago when our society was a farming society... Today, it seems like they have to make the adjustment.

Just my $.02... I can't seem to get the damn marbles out of my mouth... Got any advice on that?

:lol: