New HOF nominees

After looking at this list I can not imagine Thurman getting snubbed again.

He should be a lock.

Do you think Paul Tagliabue gets in right away?

Does Derrick Thomas get in finally? The guy was a terror at LB.

I could see Bruce Matthews getting in on his 1st time.

Eric Allen will have to wait another year or two, but he should get in.

I'd love to see Tasker get in, but as far as special teamers go, why not Ray Guy? Come on his punting ability could change games.

Please someone give Ralph Wilson a break.

Why not Ed or Steve Sabol? Look what NFL Films has done for sports. Not just football, "sports".

Randall Cunningham was a very gifted player, but not enough to be HOF.

How in the hell is Ricky Watters even considered? :P

Bernie Kosar? Brian Sipe? :lol:

Herschel Walker!!!??? 0:):) For what? Being a part of the worst trade in NFL History?

Do you think Paul Tagliabue gets in right away?

819040[/snapback]

Yes, and that's why I think Thurman getting in this year might not be a good thing

The HoF voters are sports writers, usually associated with the likes of ESPN or Sports Illustrated.

Tags is up for the HoF? Look at what he did for the NFL. Slurp slurp.

Players? who cares. Slurp slurp

2006 will be a Tags Love-In

.....why not Ray Guy? Come on his punting ability could change games......

819040[/snapback]

OMG :P

I assumed he was in already. How can the All-Time NFL Team Member for punter not be in the HOF? That is insane.

IMO both Guy & Tasker should have been 1st year eligible HOFers.

I do not see Andre making it with this competition. Kent Hull stands a better chance. TT has the best shot of all of the former Bills. Wilson isn't even in the top three of the Contributors section, let alone will make it to the final round of elimination.

818696[/snapback]

Ralph will never live to give his speech in Canton. 0:)

Tags is a shoe.

George Young is a maiden in waiting.

Ralph is on the outside looking in.

I'm convinced he'll never make it in while he's alive because (among a short strong list of other reasons - face it, Ralphie's got some baggage) the ass wipes that take swipes at his franchise won't allow themselves to elevate him to HOF status - thus denying themselves the sleazy pleasure of having an easy target to dump on whenever writer's block kisses their brow. Those "writers" and common-taters are also the voters for the HOF.

It would gall me, but not be much of a surprise, if Jerry Jones were inducted before Ralph is. But his style of ownership is more popular with the pop tarts crowd. :P

Walker was a darn good player. Hall of Fame...dunno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker

819073[/snapback]

Walker was a mediocre player with absolutely no lateral movement. He wasn't even a one cut runner, he was a no cut runner with a nice burst and great top end speed. If he didn't have a hole DIRECTLY in front of him, where the play was designed to go, he couldn't go anywhere.

If you take just Centers,  Kent Hull is competing with Bruce Mathews and

Dermotti Dawson....For all the perception there is about the bills with the

national media (especially considering how the current state of the Bills

will be reflected by these media folks voting for the HoF) I doubt Kent

can get ahead of those two.

818748[/snapback]

Originally, I was thinking that Hull had a chance, but I think that I let my Buffalo bias cloud my thinking. Matthews will probably make it in this year. Dawson will probably have to wait. I am not sure how they will match Hull with Dawson. Of course, it probably will not matter much as more high profile players are eligible. The grunts will get tossed aside.

I do not see Andre getting in unless it is by the seniors committee (which means he will be waiting a while).

With this list, Ralph will not even be a finalist, nor should he be a finalist.

I'd love Reed to get in but IIRC he was always considered the 'younger brother' to his peers while playing(Irvin/Sharpe/Rison/Rice, etc)....I cannot see it changing for the HOF entry. :P

818931[/snapback]

Which gets to the heart of HOF voting in recent years...IMO, in more instances than not, its visability/media support/name recognition rather than talent that HOF voters are reacting to. My "Bell Cow" for this trend is Howie Long, who should never have had a sniff of Canton in my view.

Staying in the public eye through TV gigs (Ervin) counts as much--or more--with today's "hot pockets" HOF voter than on the field accomplshments in the context of the era played in.

I view Reed's career as defining his era and/or being more revolutionary than either Monk or Ervin's. Andre's RAC ability was one of the defining elements of the No Huddle offense, a scheme that no other team of that era had the abillity to match. Equivalent to Lance Allworth's deep speed of his era.

I hope 'Dre can keep his visability up so HOF voters won't gravitate to easier, more recognizable names like Ervin. Same goes for Tasker, with his TV gig. I hope he continues to stay in the media eye so voters can say, "Hey, I've heard of that guy."

Randall Cunningham.....thats a bit of a stretch..v good but not hall of fame material.

818697[/snapback]

The criteria for nomination are very low - including having had at least one Pro Bowl appearance, among others.

Thus, a couple years from now Doug Flutie will be on the Hall of Fame ballot....

JDG

Walker was a mediocre player with absolutely no lateral movement.  He wasn't even a one cut runner, he was a no cut runner with a nice burst and great top end speed.  If he didn't have a hole DIRECTLY in front of him, where the play was designed to go, he couldn't go anywhere.

819127[/snapback]

Any opinions on his pass skills, blocking, and ST play?

Walker's numbers etc.

Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| 1986 dal | 16 | 151 737 4.9 12 | 76 837 11.0 2 |

| 1987 dal | 12 | 209 891 4.3 7 | 60 715 11.9 1 |

| 1988 dal | 16 | 361 1514 4.2 5 | 53 505 9.5 2 |

| 1989 dal | 5 | 81 246 3.0 2 | 22 261 11.9 1 |

| 1989 min | 11 | 169 669 4.0 5 | 18 162 9.0 1 |

| 1990 min | 16 | 184 770 4.2 5 | 35 315 9.0 4 |

| 1991 min | 15 | 198 825 4.2 10 | 33 204 6.2 0 |

| 1992 phi | 16 | 267 1070 4.0 8 | 38 278 7.3 2 |

| 1993 phi | 16 | 174 746 4.3 1 | 75 610 8.1 3 |

| 1994 phi | 16 | 113 528 4.7 5 | 50 500 10.0 2 |

| 1995 nyg | 16 | 31 126 4.1 0 | 31 234 7.5 1 |

| 1996 dal | 16 | 10 83 8.3 1 | 7 89 12.7 0 |

| 1997 dal | 16 | 6 20 3.3 0 | 14 149 10.6 2 |

| TOTAL | 187 | 1954 8225 4.2 61 | 512 4859 9.5 21 |

Seasons among the league's top 10

Rushes: 1987-7, 1988-2, 1992-7

Rushing yards: 1987-6, 1988-2

Rushing TDs: 1986-4, 1987-6t, 1989-10t, 1991-5t, 1992-9

Receptions: 1986-9, 1987-5

Yards from scrimmage: 1986-7, 1987-1, 1988-3, 1993-7

Rush/Receive TDs: 1986-4t, 1987-8t

Among the league's all-time top 50

Rushes: 27

Rushing yards: 28

Rushing TDs: 33t

Yards from scrimmage: 26

Rush/Receive TDs: 40t

Postseason data

Year Opp Result | RSH YD TD | REC YD TD

---------------------+-----------------+-----------------

1989 sfo L,13-41 | 9 29 0 | 2 14 0

1992 nor W,36-20 | 5 12 0 | 1 1 0

1992 dal L,10-34 | 6 29 0 | 6 37 0

1996 min W,40-15 | 8 62 0 | 1 8 0

---------------------+-----------------+-----------------

TOTAL | 28 132 0 | 10 60 0

College Highlights

1982 - First team All-American

1982 - Won Heisman Trophy

1982 - Won Maxwell Award

1982 - Won Walter Camp Award

1981 - First team All-American

1981 - Finished 2nd in Heisman voting

1980 - First team All-American

1980 - Finished 3rd in Heisman voting

1982 - Ranked #2 in the nation in rushing yards per game

1981 - Ranked #2 in the nation in rushing yards per game

1980 - Ranked #4 in the nation in rushing yards per game

OMG  :P

I assumed he was in already.  How can the All-Time NFL Team Member for punter not be in the HOF?  That is insane.

819062[/snapback]

He outkicked his coverage too much....

Tasker should have been a 1st year eligible entry.  If the best ever at his position(by far) cannot get in....regardless of the position....there is something wrong with the selection criteria.

Maybe this year. :P

818931[/snapback]

Except for the fact that I don't see how a guy who is not even on his own team's Wall of Fame should even be able to get a sniff for the NFL Hall of Fame....

THe Bills have noone to blame but themselves for the reason as to why Tasker hasn't been a serious Hall of Fame candidate yet....

JDG

Except for the fact that I don't see how a guy who is not even on his own team's Wall of Fame should even be able to get a sniff for the NFL Hall of Fame....

THe Bills have noone to blame but themselves for the reason as to why Tasker hasn't been a serious Hall of Fame candidate yet....

JDG

819151[/snapback]

That may well be so but it does not mean that Tasker 'shouldn't' have made the HOF by now......he obviously should have made his team WOF by now as well.

The criteria for nomination are very low - including having had at least one Pro Bowl appearance, among others.

Thus, a couple years from now Doug Flutie will be on the Hall of Fame ballot....

JDG

819148[/snapback]

Pro Bowls have nothing to do with whether they are considered for nomination. The only criteria is that players are retired for 5 years. If they are a coach, they need to be retired before they can be considered. That is it!!

Flutie, along with every other player who retired at the same time, will be eligible for nomination after the five year timeframe.

KRC

JDG

819151[/snapback]

Thurman is not on the wall. His name should be removed from consideration for HOF membership. :lol:

Thurman is not on the wall. His name should be removed from consideration for HOF membership.  :lol:

819445[/snapback]

:P:lol:

From an article in 2005

"Though he may have retired after the 2000 season, the awards for Thurman Thomas haven't stopped rolling in. Recently, the 13-year veteran was inducted into the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame at Ralph Wilson Stadium. "